Southampton (A) 9th March - 1500 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think if we continue to play like this for the remainder of the season and we miss out on top 4 then I think it might be a reasonable question to ask.

There is no point keeping a manager that can’t motivate the players to give everything in every game.

It’s either we move on or we have a complete squad overhaul.

Or you know, the players actually do their fucking jobs so Poch doesn’t get the sack.

I don’t want Poch gone but ultimately, as we have seen at clubs like Chelsea, the players have the power these days unless the chairman completely backs his man and tells the players to get on with it or they will get sold.

I can’t understand what’s going on with us right now, one minute we are fantastic the next we are having games like today.
I think it's the same players listening to the same voice for a bit too long. Time to move some of them on and bring in new blood. In the guts of 2 years, all we've brought in is Moura (and he's not up to scratch).

I'd say a bigger problem than having a midfield consisting of Sissoko and Dier is our defence changing from game to game.

Do you want to know how many games in a row we've fielded a completely different defensive line-up? 19. In all competitions. NINETEEN games in a row.

The last time we played two games in a row with the same back four? Beginning of December when we beat Burnley 1-0 and Woolwich 2-0 in the League Cup.

Funny that ain't it? Two cleansheets in a row playing the exact same back four.

This club could be coached by Jesus Christ and Barba Streisand and we’d still win sweet fuck all. As long as Levy and Lewis are running this club, we will never win anything because they refuse to spend. We’re just an asset to them. The stadium, asset. Kane, asset. Dele, asset. NFL franchise, soaring ticket prices. Making a profit every window. ENIC operating out of a tax haven. Lewis, the bloke that broke the bank of Britain, great. Look, they’re obviously great businessmen, but if you honestly think changing ANOTHER coach is going to bring glory to THFC, you need to wake up. We’re the laughing stock of the premier league. We ALWAYS bottle it. I truly feel sorry for the players. Honestly, why would a top footballer want to come to Spurs? Low wages. No players coming in. We sell to buy. Our best players are always sold on to bigger clubs. We haven’t won a trophy since the carling cup over 10 years ago. We’ve got a coach saying we wont win anything for another 10 years. We already know how the club operates. Eventually when the hype dies down, we’ll sell our best players, buy another 7+ players with the money, keep with them for the next 5-6 years in the hope some of them come good, then eventually we sell the ones that do become great talents and repeat the process. Dont believe me? Look at the transfer windows. A big cycle was in 2008. Then 2013 under AVB. The next one will be when we sell Kane.

Not buying anyone this season was a disgrace. Chelsea were rebuilding. Woolwich were rebuilding. Pochettino has been at the club for a long time now. More established than any of the other coaches of the top 6. We should be the strongest club in the PL right now. Like I keep saying, if Spurs had bought 2-3 quality players this season we’d be top of the league. Instead we’re about to bomb out of top 4 AGAIN. And its all because the owners are only interested in turning profits and reaching the Champions League for the TV money. That’s where Spurs make their money, all while maintaining a shoe string budget. Even Wolves managed to bring in Moutinho ffs.

as for Pochettino, he certainly wont get the sack from Levy. Poch is the perfect yes man. Sure, Poch is a great coach and manager, maybe the best in world football at the moment. But he’s very passive and wont question or demand money. He knows his place as such. And if you’re poch, you’re not too worried anyway because youll soon be managing the likes of Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Spurs have peaked as a club. It’s really frustrating because we are so close to glory but the owners dont want to push for titles. They dont want to make that extra push. And its a shame because we’ve had so many wasted opportunities. We’ve nearly been there. We’ve come close, but the reluctancy to spend has been our downfall, and ultimately our fading as the season comes to crunch time. We’ve peaked. Soon players will get restless and older.

Iv fucking rambled on long enough. All I know is the goal is champions league football on a shoe string budget for TV money. Theres certainly no ambition to win titles. Iv already accepted this fate and moved on with my life. Just being a realist.

I'd rather Kevin's friend!!
article-2087611-00467F4400000258-325_233x349.jpg

Yep, mentality.

Managers and players.

Advancing in the Champions League cannot mask deterioration.

We are on a downward spiral as a squad and team and the Levy/Pochettino gamble is now in serious question.
Not true, we were really good in the first half,
but our forwards think that they can use matches like this as some kind of training excercise, and it doesn’t matter because the goal will come eventually.

Mentality all the way. Lacking

We need to build a whole new core of a team. We are so bad at simply passing the ball around with any sense of control, something that a team who want to compete at the highest level should just do automatically, and our pressing is nearly nonexistent these days. In terms of the quality of our football as a team, we are very poor right now. There has been an element of luck in a lot of our good results for quite a while. If the individuals don't shine in key moments, then there is no creative engine to sustain us anymore.

It's unbelievable to even think that Kane coming back would have led to this run of results. I mean, he's one of the best strikers in the world. I can only think our mentality without him meant that individuals worked harder to cover for him. Collectively, we looked a better team without him during that spell. I'm not suggesting we drop him or anything, just can't work out why we've been so poor with him in the side again.

Let’s not pretend we weren’t absolutely scraping results when he was injured. Our football was mostly horrid, defensively shocking stuff where we somehow got a few wins at the end. Against Fulham, Newcastle, Leicester and Watford we were crap and somehow won the games. Now Kane is back and we are still crap but he has scored in 4 out of the 5 games he’s played.

The rest of the team are not doing their jobs properly, how can we concede 7 goals in 4 games? Kane is not the problem. This stage of the season it’s about doing the basics right and keeping clean sheets. Liverpool and City are keeping clean sheets while we are letting any old rubbish score against us.

Rested up at home after hours on motorways for 45 minutes of a performance. What a monumental fuck up.

Today is pretty unforgivable in my opinion. It’s not about fans being entitled. I had a ST throughout the 90s so have done my time. But I think some of the squad do feel entitled to a result.

Our football was very tidy in the first half but the final execution was poor. We could and should have been out of sight by HT.

The second half was just pathetic. No quality, no drive, nobody taking responsibility and some insipid displays from certain players who probably need to move on from our club, much as I have loved them in the past.

Selections were a little bit odd. For example, in my view, Toby had to play. He’s been immense this season and we have plenty of rest time. Even if he does leave, he’s been professional and committed, and we should get what we can out of him. Him and Jan are the one pocket of leadership that we’re able to create in our team.

However, selections were not why we lost, and Southampton are shit.

We just lack a complete winning mentality. Our squad had become too lazy and entitled. We need energy and angst from somewhere. We need leaders on the pitch. We also simply need to work hard for 90 minutes.

Only Spurs could make a week with CL progression and new stadium excitement end in misery.

Spursy we still are.

P.S. Good to see Dele back.

Off to Southampton today. it's 75 miles from me, but I have to get 4 trains. I shall stay strong.

This is why players need to fucking turn up every week and give 100%....doesnt matter if you lose as long as you cared on the pitch and for the people that stood on the platforms in the rain and cold, 8 times in this case, and got home at 1am.
They dont see that while sleeping in their warm luxury coach

Let’s not forget all the games we’ve won this season with late goals. This has been a terrible season on and off the field.
The lack of signings are massive contributing factor.
Were we having a great season - you’d have to put your hands up and say, fair play Re the lack of signings. But we have gone backwards, we have regressed. And the only one to blame for this is the board.

Back
Top Bottom