Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Give me some names (don't worry about the HG bit for a moment). We've got a guy on this forum called bus-conductor bus-conductor who reckons we would find it very hard to upgrade on Trippier.

There's a RB at ManCity who I hear is rated called Walker :D also fits HG status

Otherwise Vrsalijko, Sidibe, Azpilicueta, Carvajal, Kimmich etc but we'd need to get in a HG player (including good non right backs to maintain or improve the squad).

There's a RB at ManCity who I hear is rated called Walker :D also fits HG status

Otherwise Vrsalijko, Sidibe, Azpilicueta, Carvajal, Kimmich etc but we'd need to get in a HG player (including good non right backs to maintain or improve the squad).
I meant right backs we could realistically sign.

For what it's worth, I thought Aurier's use of the ball was substandard last night. And as for Trippier, he gets on my nerves. He's so weak and slow-it does my head in.

Not at all. How many good games can you recall that Aurier has had in the last 18 months.

And Kane ?

Its pretty much impossible to upgrade Kane, Its very easy to upgrade Aurier
Plenty.

He was excellent before his injury.

We don't need to upgrade him. He should be our second RB and our 3rd LB imo. Behind KWP and Rose/New signing respectively.

For a backup wingback who can play both sides, he is absolutely fine.

But my point still stands. Goalkeepers and Defenders are held to a higher standard due to their mistakes often being fatal.

I meant right backs we could realistically sign.

For what it's worth, I thought Aurier's use of the ball was substandard last night. And as for Trippier, he gets on my nerves. He's so weak and slow-it does my head in.

Ah, you didn't mention realistically sign !

Being serious, its not guaranteed we can get a RB, but given Monaco's financial state Sidibe could be realistically available.

Plenty.

We don't need to upgrade him. He should be our second RB and our 3rd LB imo. Behind KWP and Rose/New signing respectively.

But my point still stands. Goalkeepers and Defenders are held to a higher standard due to their mistakes often being fatal.

You have to be joking or drunk - excellent ?

Hakimi is borderline impossible considering he's a Dortmund player until 2020 and will then likely be Real Madrids starting right back (if he hasn't been signed permanently by Dortmund).

Atal is the only right back we should be looking at - unless we're looking to give KWP a go, then Aarons would be fine.

Though I'd take Doherty from Wolves for a reasonable fee.

I don’t really get the Aurier hate. Yes, he will make a mistake, but he’s hardly alone in that regard (in terms of our back 4). And he turns up for big games

We have more pressing issues.

I don’t really get the Aurier hate

Not really hate, I just don't understand the preference over KWP.

As for being 'excellent'! Poor control, yellow card magnet, losing possession, penalties, average pace, throw ins, general, heart-in-your-mouth passes, average crossing (other than one last night - see N'koudou), not particularly good in the air, being subbed at half-time?

I take the point that defenders and goalkeepers mistakes often result in goals (or chances). We were sold something different when he signed from PSG as a 'bad-boy, with pace and prospects, the manager will sort him out'. Admittedly the final part has happened as I can't recall on off-field problems.

However he has turned into a major disappointment - a collective groan when we see his name on the teamsheet.

Plenty.

So Trippier's for the chopping block?

Hakimi is borderline impossible considering he's a Dortmund player until 2020 and will then likely be Real Madrids starting right back (if he hasn't been signed permanently by Dortmund).

Atal is the only right back we should be looking at - unless we're looking to give KWP a go, then Aarons would be fine.

Though I'd take Doherty from Wolves for a reasonable fee.

And RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK and Spursidol Spursidol

I was possibly the first to mention Atal on here, and he is a nippy fucker for sure, but all he’s played is about 1400 minutes of Ligue1 football, entirely as a wb in a back 3, and hasn’t got a single assist, and averages a fifth of Trippier’s key passes.

Sidibe (26)is not a terrible shout, he was looking good two years ago, but I really don’t think he’s a quantum upgrade, he’s been criticised in France for some of his defending at times. No goals or assists this season either and Monaco haven’t always played him. They’ve also got a German kid called Heinrich’s (21) who’s coming through at RB (also plays LB and RM) who might be worth keeping an eye on.

This is the thing, it’s not that I think Trippier is hard to upgrade because he’s so brilliant, there’s just so few truly outstanding rb’s around. There’s some good youngsters emerging but that’s not an instant or guaranteed upgrade, that’s a maybe.

There’s a reason why ManU are playing with Ashley Young at RB right now and ManC resorted to paying 50m for an athletic fuckwit like Walker.

Versaljko is good, like him, but he’s 27 and is on loan at Inter with an option to buy, and has also just done his ACL and is fucked for a few months.

Doherty also 27, Wolves won’t sell cheap, has looked good playing for a team that plays deep and counters, not sure he’d look quite as good playing for a pro-active team like us who push him up and play a high line behind him?

If I had my my way we’d have made KWP the rotation right back two years ago, and we might have solved the problem by now?

And RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK and Spursidol Spursidol

I was possibly the first to mention Atal on here, and he is a nippy fucker for sure, but all he’s played is about 1400 minutes of Ligue1 football, entirely as a wb in a back 3, and hasn’t got a single assist, and averages a fifth of Trippier’s key passes.

Sidibe (26)is not a terrible shout, he was looking good two years ago, but I really don’t think he’s a quantum upgrade, he’s been criticised in France for some of his defending at times. No goals or assists this season either and Monaco haven’t always played him. They’ve also got a German kid called Heinrich’s (21) who’s coming through at RB (also plays LB and RM) who might be worth keeping an eye on.

This is the thing, it’s not that I think Trippier is hard to upgrade because he’s so brilliant, there’s just so few truly outstanding rb’s around. There’s some good youngsters emerging but that’s not an instant or guaranteed upgrade, that’s a maybe.

There’s a reason why ManU are playing with Ashley Young at RB right now and ManC resorted to paying 50m for an athletic fuckwit like Walker.

Versaljko is good, like him, but he’s 27 and is on loan at Inter with an option to buy, and has also just done his ACL and is fucked for a few months.

Doherty also 27, Wolves won’t sell cheap, has looked good playing for a team that plays deep and counters, not sure he’d look quite as good playing for a pro-active team like us who push him up and play a high line behind him?

If I had my my way we’d have made KWP the rotation right back two years ago, and we might have solved the problem by now?

To be fair though with other players in other teams, I don't particularly care about their goals or assists. They are in inferior teams who play differently to us and don't have a Kane, Dele or Son in there team. When watching other teams, all about eye test for me. Atal fits the bill. Lack of minutes is obviously a gamble but every transfer is a gamble anyway.

If we were looking to really splash cash and make a statement, Wan-Bissaka would be excellent, though I feel it'd be a kick in the bollocks of KWP.

After seeing him this season (aswell as seeing him at Nice), quite disappointed we decided to sign Aurier instead of Ricardo Pereira when we were linked with both.

To be fair though with other players in other teams, I don't particularly care about their goals or assists. They are in inferior teams who play differently to us and don't have a Kane, Dele or Son in there team. When watching other teams, all about eye test for me. Atal fits the bill. Lack of minutes is obviously a gamble but every transfer is a gamble anyway.

If we were looking to really splash cash and make a statement, Wan-Bissaka would be excellent, though I feel it'd be a kick in the bollocks of KWP.

After seeing him this season (aswell as seeing him at Nice), quite disappointed we decided to sign Aurier instead of Ricardo Pereira when we were linked with both.

I get what you are saying, and Poch and this team could see some players develop and improve for sure, and I'm not averse to that concept, all I'm saying is that these are by no means certainties. When asked "find a guaranteed, ready to roll upgrade", there really aren't many out there, that we could afford, or aren't already at bigger (and/or better paying) clubs.

I would have taken Pereira over Aurier too, but again, he was usually played as an ARM at Nice though, because while his attacking play is really good, his defending can be a bit erratic (as we saw last week and at the times in the PL this season) so he's not exactly the "perfect" package everyone is looking for.

Wan-Bissaka's actually played more top flight minutes than Atal who is also only a year older than Wan-Bissaka.

For me, if we were going to sign either of these though, I'd much rather give KWP proper chances first, because he has the potential to be better - or as good as - than both of them. WB would cost a fortune (as much as Walker IMO) so is really unlikely.

I get what you are saying, and Poch and this team could see some players develop and improve for sure, and I'm not averse to that concept, all I'm saying is that these are by no means certainties. When asked "find a guaranteed, ready to roll upgrade", there really aren't many out there, that we could afford, or aren't already at bigger (and/or better paying) clubs.

I would have taken Pereira over Aurier too, but again, he was usually played as an ARM at Nice though, because while his attacking play is really good, his defending can be a bit erratic (as we saw last week and at the times in the PL this season) so he's not exactly the "perfect" package everyone is looking for.

Wan-Bissaka's actually played more top flight minutes than Atal who is also only a year older than Wan-Bissaka.

For me, if we were going to sign either of these though, I'd much rather give KWP proper chances first, because he has the potential to be better - or as good as - than both of them. WB would cost a fortune (as much as Walker IMO) so is really unlikely.

What do you think Poch is waiting for when it comes to KWP?

Wanting him to put on a bit more muscle so he can power his way down that line with his immense dribbling technique but with strength aswell? He's been bullied a few times on some of his starts with us but never really troubled defensively.

Because besides him being a little weak, I can't see any other reason as to why he hasn't been given more starts. I mean even in the games he has started in the Premier League, he has never really been bullied strength wise and considering we've been willing to give Skipp game-time against the lower clubs, it's surprising that KWP hasn't been given any starts besides Bournemouth.

What do you think Poch is waiting for when it comes to KWP?

Wanting him to put on a bit more muscle so he can power his way down that line with his immense dribbling technique but with strength aswell? He's been bullied a few times on some of his starts with us but never really troubled defensively.

Because besides him being a little weak, I can't see any other reason as to why he hasn't been given more starts. I mean even in the games he has started in the Premier League, he has never really been bullied strength wise and considering we've been willing to give Skipp game-time against the lower clubs, it's surprising that KWP hasn't been given any starts besides Bournemouth.

I honestly just don't get it. Its not like Trippier is a physical specimen is it, and he's Poch's no.1.

I think KWP's career has been handled terribly. We never should have signed Aurier, we should have given KWP that season as proper rotation to see if he can develop on. He's just not learning much at all playing one game every three months.

As I commented elsewhere its very difficult to bring in top class HG players (there are few available) - but if there is one we should certainly try to do so,

However if there are no available top class available HG players, then we need to bring in an overseas trained player who is either top class or a prospect who we think will become top class to replace Aurier - who is an ok player but certainly not top class, and with Trippier as the alternative makes RB one of the weaker positions in the team.

Of course I'd like Poch to play KWP who I think could become a better player than either Aurier or Trippier, but regardless we need another RB who is better than Aurier (and with Poch rotating FB's we need two top class RB's)

In the simplest terms.... Serge > Trippier for me. Maybe it's just a perception thing but he's (KT) thoroughly done my nut in this season.

Granted if we can get a bonafide upgrade then Newbie + KWP works for me, but otherwise Serge + KWP imo.

But living in the real world where there are very few HG players available to buy, the reason why Aurier is on the list to go, is that he's one of the 'weakest' overseas trained players in the squad.

So if we want 3 or 4 players in next TW, its likely all or most will be overseas trained players and we need to get rid of 5 or 6 overseas trained players...and after N'Koudou, Janssen, Vorm and Wanyama (if he doesn't get back to 15/16 form), then Aurier will be one if the next as he's the weakest in his position.

No reason why we don't sell Trippier too - but we need to get an HG player in (not necessarily in a RB position) to compensate

As already pointed out.... Trying to upgrade 6, 7 or more positions in one window is a recipe for disaster.

"Keep up" : P

Back
Top Bottom