Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Better for big matches for me, and better suited for 3 at the back.
Just better.

There are absolutely better RB/WB options we can find but all round he's our best at the club, far more balanced across defence, linking midfield and in attack. There are no calamitous performances with him, he is prone to switching off, can get done for pace (although this tends to be when attacking than defending) and I think he's a bit shit in the air.

Yeah, I don't think he's shown anything in his 18 months here that proves he should be our right back of the future.

I prefer him to start as he is athletic, works relatively well with Sissoko and doesn't just whip cross after cross in the box in hope that one of them sticks.

I think both he and Trippier need to be upgraded on but I wish Poch would just give Aurier a run in the team. Consistency and confidence play a huge part in a footballer. Just look at Sissoko.

I think aurier is clearly the right back we should keep, trouble is that I think tripod is more likely to stay due to his homegrown status.

Aurier is younger and has a higher ceiling I feel, either way he could do with some proper competition.

Yeah, I don't think he's shown anything in his 18 months here that proves he should be our right back of the future.

I prefer him to start as he is athletic, works relatively well with Sissoko and doesn't just whip cross after cross in the box in hope that one of them sticks.

I think both he and Trippier need to be upgraded on but I wish Poch would just give Aurier a run in the team. Consistency and confidence play a huge part in a footballer. Just look at Sissoko.

And Llorente

Still too early to say anything definitive about him and his future. He has plenty of ability and we'll have to see how he develops working under Poch, and we should know all about that by now. But I will say that the cross he put in for Jan was fantastic, as good as anything Tripps can do; and honestly I feel more confident with Serge in that position for these huge CL games.

Aurier has been with us for 18 months. He arrived being way less good than I thought he would be from youtube, eg no real pace (on youtube he was shown sprinting like Usain Bolt past lots of players), and I'd have expected Poch to have got him playing well in the last 18 months. And he's no better or worse than when he arrived.

He's not awful, but he's not consistently good - yesterday's 2nd half performance was probably the best he's played for Spurs (possibly because every Spurs player looked amazing).

We have too many overseas trained players and we still need to lose 3 just to get in one, lose 4 to get in 2 overseas trained players etc.

So after Janssen and N'Koudou and Vorm, Aurier is on the shortlist of overseas trained players who we may decide to move on together with Wanyama (unless he get back to his 15/16 form in the next couple of months) and possibly Llorente.

And if the likes of Eriksen or Alderweireld move on to get the quality replacement, its pretty certain we'll need to replace them with another overseas trained player - so one in and one out.

There are not many home grown players who are both 'gettable' and good enough for Spurs (Grealish is about as good as its gets), so we need to ONLY get top overseas trained players and not 'waste' an overseas trained player spot on less than 'top' overseas trained players such as Aurier.

Some of You guys crack me up. The last time he started he was so bad he was taken off at half time.

He was piss poor first half last night, got skanked by Pulisic and was on a yellow after 10 minutes. Then proceded to look like a pub footballer on an amphetamine enema for the rest of the half, including whacking a couple of shit crosses at the first man and giving the ball away for them to counter.

Second half, when told to be more disciplined he was Ok, and did put in a lovely cross for the goal.

But what he’s done in 2 seasons to merit the leeway he gets, compared to the criticism Trippier gets for being nowhere near as bad is laughable.

Face fits better I guess.

The reason we nearly didn’t make it out of the CL group stages was Aurier going to sleep in games like Inter away and letting his marker score.

Can’t we at least wait until Aurier puts in one, or maybe two 90 minutes of decent, un-clusterfucked football before sucking each other off?

he can definitely cross and shoot well (esp shooting which is a big plus for a rb). but i feel he lacks the penetration and poor at driving forward considering his athletic build. if can fix this, he will be good. Ironically, Vertonghen who appears more cumbersome than him was better at driving forward evidently last night.

Just better.

There are absolutely better RB/WB options we can find but all round he's our best at the club, far more balanced across defence, linking midfield and in attack. There are no calamitous performances with him, he is prone to switching off, can get done for pace (although this tends to be when attacking than defending) and I think he's a bit shit in the air.

So 3 reckless slide tackles conceding 3 penalties last season are not calamitous ?

For a 26 year old international who should be about at his peak, that's very amateur, and not to learn is crazy - doing one and it concedes a penalty is poor, to do it 3 times with the same result shows he's not very good at learning.

But I would agree with 'There are absolutely better RB/WB options we can find' as he's far from being outstanding, I don't think its unfair to call, him 'bang average' - so not bad but definitely not good.

No one is saying that he is amazing or that we can't possibly upgrade on him, we can upgrade on most positions in our team let's be honest, but right now given what we have to work with and how limited our options and means are, there is still a fair bit of potential to bring out from this guy, and probably more so than Trippier. We should know better than to write people off completely by now.

No one is saying that he is amazing or that we can't possibly upgrade on him, we can upgrade on most positions in our team let's be honest, but right now given what we have to work with and how limited our options and means are, there is still a fair bit of potential to bring out from this guy, and probably more so than Trippier. We should know better than to write people off completely by now.

So which overseas trained players would you upgrade in preference to Aurier (after Janssen, N'Koudou, Vorm and Wanyama if he does not get back to his 15/16 form) ?

He was woeful first half
And excellent second half

Im not sure about this potential argument people bang on about

He's not got lightning pace and his technique is poxy so I'm not convinced his ceiling is that high

He's a reasonable defender in fairness to him when hes focused and he seems a popular character

I dunno. I'm probably in the move him on in the summer divide

So which overseas trained players would you upgrade in preference to Aurier (after Janssen, N'Koudou, Vorm and Wanyama if he does not get back to his 15/16 form) ?

2 points...

Isn't that somewhat moot unless we're gonna replace him with a HG RB? (Any ideas anyone?)

There needs to be a sensible limit on how many and and outs in a single window.... I'd say 5 is prob enough.

2 points...

Isn't that somewhat moot unless we're gonna replace him with a HG RB? (Any ideas anyone?)

There needs to be a sensible limit on how many and and outs in a single window.... I'd say 5 is prob enough.

As I commented elsewhere its very difficult to bring in top class HG players (there are few available) - but if there is one we should certainly try to do so,

However if there are no available top class available HG players, then we need to bring in an overseas trained player who is either top class or a prospect who we think will become top class to replace Aurier - who is an ok player but certainly not top class, and with Trippier as the alternative makes RB one of the weaker positions in the team.

Of course I'd like Poch to play KWP who I think could become a better player than either Aurier or Trippier, but regardless we need another RB who is better than Aurier (and with Poch rotating FB's we need two top class RB's)

So 3 reckless slide tackles conceding 3 penalties last season are not calamitous ?

For a 26 year old international who should be about at his peak, that's very amateur, and not to learn is crazy - doing one and it concedes a penalty is poor, to do it 3 times with the same result shows he's not very good at learning.

But I would agree with 'There are absolutely better RB/WB options we can find' as he's far from being outstanding, I don't think its unfair to call, him 'bang average' - so not bad but definitely not good.
The first year in a new team, in a new league. That team is one of, if not the most aggressive, teams playing in one of, if not the most aggressive/fastest league in the World, he hasn't come close to doing that since and the one against Madrid I've absolutely no issue with whatsoever, they would have scored anyway had he not tried to challenge for the ball. It's a funny way to look at a player completely the opposite way that Poch does thank God, as a defender the chance of conceding a pen is always a possibility, Poch came out and said this after Foyth's Wolves game. It happens.

Back
Top Bottom