Season 2018/19 || Expectations

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where will we finish in the league?

• Champions league

Votes: 133 83.1%
  • Europa league

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • Midtable

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Relegation

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now that I had a chance to see Poch in his press conference I am confident. He seemed genuinely giddy about keeping the squad as is. It was honestly very surprising. I was nervous after the window but he put me at ease. Top 2, semis in CL, and a cup. Putting all my faith in Poch.

Not sure if this is unpopular but I would prefer a CL spot. I am just slightly fearful of an exodus if we miss it. But who knows, getting a trophy would be nice. And not getting one could lead to people leaving anyway.
I think (unfortunately) that football is money now and the CL has to be the aim.

It wouldn't surprise me if we struggle in the League. City remains a class above, Liverpool's strong finish plus solid adds make them a threat, and more than anyone else, the World Cup and so the amount of players that have arrived so late could make for a slow start. I think a fight with Chelsea for 3/4 behind City and Liverpool might be in the offing.

On the flip side, all that World Cup success should count for something. I'd like to see quarters in Champions League, and a run to the finals in FA Cup.

Top 4. Foyth is more mature now, as is Sanchez, Winks, Dele and Aurier & Lucas will be better than we saw of them last season.

Hopefully we keep every player and can get more out of Alderweireld, Rose, Lamela & Wanyama who missed huge chunks of last season. Always a chance someone like KWP or Skipp could come through as well and we have class like Kane, Eriksen, Lloris & Son approaching their peaks so all in all even though we haven't signed anyone we gear up having a stronger squad barring any pig luck injuries

Battle for 4th with chelsea. CL last 16. No cup wins as per. City & utd top 2. Liverpool 3rd. Woolwich 6th.
With a couple of good signings then more like 2nd or 3rd.

This squad is good enough to make it to the semifinals of the CL. There is usually one surprise final four participant and I think Spurs will be the one this season; a 3rd, 4th or 5th place in the league seems about right.

I would bite your hand off for a top four finish and a cup. But I have a horrible feeling that we might miss out on CL this time round. I will hope and pray that this does not come to pass, I've got used to us winning more games than losing and I don't want to go back to the days when that wasn't the case.

League - Top 4. (Think we'll finish 2nd-3rd)
FA Cup - Winners
League Cup - 5th Round
Champions League - Quarters

Not sure if this is unpopular but I would prefer a CL spot. I am just slightly fearful of an exodus if we miss it. But who knows, getting a trophy would be nice. And not getting one could lead to people leaving anyway.

I think (unfortunately) that football is money now and the CL has to be the aim.

But what is the point of retaining the players and acquiring the money? TO WIN TROPHIES.

You don't want to jeopardize a PL and CL winning future for the club by pushing for an FA Cup or a Europa League, but with petro-doper clubs a fixture of modern football, how close are we to that really?

In life and in sports fandom I am always eager to avoid the worst case scenario. Spurs' worst case scenario at this point is for Pochettino's Tottenham to go down in history as the greatest team to ever win absolutely nothing.

Hopefully in and around the top 4 come January then we can make some aquisitions in the areas where deficiencies are shown.

I predict we'll be the biggest spenders in January.

But what is the point of retaining the players and acquiring the money? TO WIN TROPHIES.

You don't want to jeopardize a PL and CL winning future for the club by pushing for an FA Cup or a Europa League, but with petro-doper clubs a fixture of modern football, how close are we to that really?

In life and in sports fandom I am always eager to avoid the worst case scenario. Spurs' worst case scenario at this point is for Pochettino's Tottenham to go down in history as the greatest team to ever win absolutely nothing.
I'm not saying that this is what I would like, but that it is a fact of life in these times.
Every owner would forego a cup if it meant CL football, every fan wants trophies.
Hopefully we can get both.

Honestly I'm pretty pessimistic at the moment. Last season I thought we were easily the second best team on paper but this season I'm not sure whether we're even 5th. A lot of the teams below us have added decent players including the spammers. So much so that I can see us dropping a lot of points. We really needed to kick on this summer through some quality additions but instead we've just watched every other team in the league get better. Another new ground and added to that injuries, tiredness, potentially disgruntled players and the manager and it seems all set up for a pretty disappointing season.

Honestly I'm pretty pessimistic at the moment. Last season I thought we were easily the second best team on paper but this season I'm not sure whether we're even 5th. A lot of the teams below us have added decent players including the spammers. So much so that I can see us dropping a lot of points. We really needed to kick on this summer through some quality additions but instead we've just watched every other team in the league get better.
Platitudes. I read this every summer.

Spammers, lol. You make me laugh.

Top 3 again. We have a settled squad that could have done with 1 or 2 new squad faces but so many are yet to reach their peak and we welcome back home advantage for the first time in a year. Top 3 with a serious push for 2nd, a good run in the Champions League and our silverware duck with Poch broken in either the League Cup or FA Cup.

Season starts in less than 20 hours. Come on you Spurs!!

I predict an improved Liverpool will battle it out with City for the title and we'll be contesting spots 3-5 with United and Chelsea. Woolwich could return to be more of a threat too.

Top 4. City will be the ones to beat again. Dippers may have signed loads but manager still is Klopp so really they could still be prone to fuck ups. Salah should get a right kicking this season too surely ffs.
I'm sure some clever tech bod might be able to dig up a graph or something, but as more and more money gets pored into the league, has there has been an increase in the amount of 'shock' results as these smaller teams have more money to spend on better players / managers etc? What I'm getting at is every season it will be harder for all teams and there will continue to be upsets which is good. This might help us or hinder us sometimes but will usually give us a chance as we seem (touch wood) to not be as prone to fuck ups as the other teams around us have been.

Also I'm praying the new stadium will be like an adrenalin shot mixed with Leicester drugs for our players and they will smash teams to bits as they are so inspired. If we could get close to our old WHL form from the final season or even last years Wembley, maybe somewhere in the middle, we would do very well.

Back
Top Bottom