Season 2018/19 || Expectations

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where will we finish in the league?

• Champions league

Votes: 133 83.1%
  • Europa league

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • Midtable

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Relegation

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think we’ll finish 3rd or 4th. Not sure about cups, I’d take even a League Cup tbf. I think the squad can be better than last season, we just have to manage our CM situation. Would be very nice if Toby decided to continue here and sign a new contract, that would save Levy’s ass a bit honestly. Rose can fuck off.

It is hard for me to make a prediction as it heavily depends on whether the players that wanted moves are integrated back in to the team and give 100% to the cause. It also depends on what we do if they aren't integrated and also what our injury scenarios are. We haven't started well as far as injuries go, plus son missing 4 games is massive.

There are two scenarios where I see us having a successful season and one scenario where I see us going backwards:

1. We go back to poch's favoured 3-4-3, Toby commits to the cause maybe even signs a new deal, which results in us having maybe one of the best back lines in the world. Toby - Sanchez - Verts. This aggressive back line gives our forward players a springboard to go all-out attack and I believe it will compensate for our lack of midfield quality. I also can see rose coming in to top class form again if we play this way, it will get the best out of him and tripps.

Outcome: 1/4 Final CL Run, Domestic Cup Semi Final, Finish 3rd in the Premiership

2. Our players that wanted to leave don't commit to the cause. Poch counters this by going 4-3-3, eriksen and dele drop back either side of dembele/dier/wanyama. Moura and Son either side of kane bombing in to space and on the receiving end of some graceful eriksen passes. We absolutely destroy the fucking premier league, moura becomes a hero and kane beats the prem goal tally record, dele has his highest scoring season arriving late in the box frank lampard style. We narrowly miss out on the league title to Man city but still get to smother ourselves in the tears of Liverpool fans who cry about the fact that we still finished above them and won a trophy even though we didn't sign anyone.

Outcome: CL Final Loss, Domestic Cup Win, Finish 2nd in the Premiership

3. Our players that wanted to leave don't commit to the cause. Poch sticks to his beloved 4-2-3-1, our midfield injuries continue with wanyama/winks/dembele being crocked, all in and out of the team struggling for form and fitness. We spend the majority of our season with a sissoko & dier midfield pairing which hurts us when trying to gain control in matches. Ben davies pulls a hammy and because danny rose is an outcast by this time poch decides to go with KWP as our main left back for an extended period. Verts or Sanchez get injured and poch covers with foyth/ccv rather than Toby due to him not being committed. We struggle for form and momentum throughout the majority of the season.

Outcome: CL Group exit in to EL(we exit this in round of 16), Early Domestic Cup Exit, finish 6th in the Premiership.

Sorry to end on a downer :pocheyes:

Can't recall that.
I promise you it happened! In their view, we weakened ourselves by selling Walker whilst others “strengthened around us” and that we would most likely scrape Europa. I can’t be bothered to go back through threads finding examples but I’m sure many round here will remember that there was a lot of that kind of chatter.

I promise you it happened! In their view, we weakened ourselves by selling Walker whilst others “strengthened around us” and that we would most likely scrape Europa. I can’t be bothered to go back through threads finding examples but I’m sure many round here will remember that there was a lot of that kind of chatter.
Now I remember, that was around mid August and we were yet to make any signing. Of course people had the right to be concerned.

Now I remember, that was around mid August and we were yet to make any signing. Of course people had the right to be concerned.
Im pretty sure it was going on post-signings too but whatever, I won’t keep going back and forth. Anyway we still have a fucking good team and I see no reason why we can’t get too 4 again this year. We just need a bit of luck when it comes to injuries. Other than that it’s all to play for.

I can't understand the negativity of some Spurs fans. You haven't lost any players and you are a very good team. The only downside I can see for you is if you get a few injuries to key players, then you might suffer. I see you finishing 3 or 4 and CL semi finals. I expect Mr Levy to spend a bit of money in January. Pochetino knows what he is doing. If I was a Spurs fan I would listen to what he says and trust him

I can't understand the negativity of some Spurs fans. You haven't lost any players and you are a very good team. The only downside I can see for you is if you get a few injuries to key players, then you might suffer. I see you finishing 3 or 4 and CL semi finals. I expect Mr Levy to spend a bit of money in January. Pochetino knows what he is doing. If I was a Spurs fan I would listen to what he says and trust him
Who do you support mate?

I think either 4th or 5th depending on how Chelsea and Woolwich respond to their new managers.

Although I'm of the belief that Liverpool have added enough depth (and also have good momentum going into the start of the season that gives them an advantage over the recovering fitness of our stars) to shift above us in the table this year, United is an interesting one and if the Mourinho tenure goes into 'circus' mode then we'd have a good shout for 3rd if the stars align right.

Football seasons do rather have a habit of surprising you though. Bit of a bummer in that City's crazy dominance last year makes the title feel the most impossible it's been for three years or so.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that bedding into the new stadium may play a factor - but assuming the club got their calculations right on acoustics etc then I can only see it being an improvement on Wembley form.

giphy.gif

The only bit that you have wrong is this year you still have to get past us for only a 2nd time in a decade. I think this will be a very close contest but you lack the minerals. Plopp has you pumped up for the "big" games but that isn't hard for any manager to do, should be a given, he hasn't been able to get you lot up for teams at the foot of the table. I would shit myself if my manager wasn't able to motivate his team to do that.

I'm hoping to have some fun watching my team play in our beautiful new season.

I hope I get to see them smash some of the big boys from home and abroad and for the fans to become a real 12th man.

I'm not making any predictions but I do think that we shouldn't be written off so easily and do quickly. All the pressure is on others but we still have a quality team and manager to get behind and the glass is still half-full.

Of course this could change if there are any suggestions substantial outgoings between now and the end of August. IF Toby, Rose and Dembele were all to leave then I'd give into panic and will be calling for Levy's head. At present we still have a very strong squad and a competitive one at that.

COYS

Top 4 looks very possible.

ManCity - will run away with title as they have same strong squad as before.

ManU - Mourhino shows all the signs of blowing up, with frustrations of not signing his desired players and being firced to play some players he signed before and wishes he hadn't. If he stays, ManU may finish 2nd but not certain, but if he leaves ManU more likely to finish 4th.

Liverpool - Will Salah repeat last seasons scoring vein, if so they are real contenders for 2nd or 3rd after adding more players. But if Salah doesn't repeat last season, Liverpool could well be 3rd or 4th.

Chelsea - New manager will need time to get things going so think they will struggle to improve on 5th.

Woolwich - Will need a season or two to contest CL again

Spurs - May start slowly due to WC overhang and getting used to playing in a new stadium, so looking forward to a great 2nd half of the season. Key player could be Winks in CM as Dembele may not be fit enough to repeat his performances of 2 years ago and so will not play more than say 20 games.

Back
Top Bottom