Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs fans reaction to a Spurs player simply posting an instagram photo.

''cunt''
''chav''
''Idiot'
''Prat''
''believes his own hype''
''looks ridiculous''

Young Marcus isn't the only one that needs to look at themselves imo.

We aren't Gooners.

Hopefully the pre-season tour becomes an eye opener for him and he bunkers down and can become at least a bench player this season.

Poch is a harsh task master but he is willing to give people second chances if they work hard enough. Sissoko is proof of that so if Edwards just shows a willingness to work and learn and kind of start over I am sure he can make room for himself in the squad.

Poch seems to repay players with the correct attitude. Sissoko was never a player to rock the boat. I'm still not a fan but he kept his head down, trained hard and integrated well with the team. Edwards is totally different. I don't think it will be tolerated as it also sends a bad signal to the younger players if this joker is given a free pass. He's rapidly running out of time...

''cunt''
''chav''
''Idiot'
''Prat''
''looks ridiculous''

We aren't Gooners.

Yup, understand what you're saying and I believe other players have been called out in the past for similar things. I for one thought we were past this 'good time Charley' antics... I want it gone from the club.

I've not called him anything from the above set (yet) but you can't ignore historical antics...

''cunt''
''chav''
''Idiot'
''Prat''
''looks ridiculous''

We aren't Gooners.
I think a lot of it also has a connection with how we view the 'Spurs Role Model'. Kane is a hero because on top of his play he's a honest hard worker, excellent father and husband, 100% professional and committed.

The same things leveled against Edwards (I'm not a fan) are leveled against Grealish. that's just not the type of individuals we want to idolize here (and no Dele isn't similar in any way, nor was Gazza)

''cunt''
''chav''
''Idiot'
''Prat''
''looks ridiculous''

We aren't Gooners.

Fair enough, but some people are concerned that a clearly talented young player may be in danger of abusing that talent. It’s certainly worthy of comment. But I agree the attacks on his character are wrong. The problem is that Kane has set such high standards for behaviour and professionalism that anything less than that standard is viewed with suspicion.

I saw an interview with Harry when he admitted that spending too much time on social media fucked with his head at the Euro’s, and consequently he’s cut right back on it at the WC. Sound advice for Marcus I think.

Last edited:
Yup, understand what you're saying and I believe other players have been called out in the past for similar things. I for one thought we were past this 'good time Charley' antics... I want it gone from the club.

I've not called him anything from the above set (yet) but you can't ignore historical antics...
No, you can't. And by all means, critique him over his lack of progression at Spurs. Or his failure to step up on loan at Norwich. But for how he looks on a single photo? Come on, that's corny. Critique him for football, not the way he looks, especially not when we have no idea on the context.

I bet some of you have kids, nephews, nieces etc. that have equally silly photos on social media. I know I do.

As I said, if we were all held accountable for how we behaved or looked at 19, we'd be fucked.

I think a lot of it also has a connection with how we view the 'Spurs Role Model'. Kane is a hero because on top of his play he's a honest hard worker, excellent father and husband, 100% professional and committed.

The same things leveled against Edwards (I'm not a fan) are leveled against Grealish. that's just not the type of individuals we want to idolize here (and no Dele isn't similar in any way, nor was Gazza)
Gazza is worse tbf. Yet he's still idolised.

Anyway, surely we understand that not everyone is going to be Harry Kane? He's an anomaly.

We know what professional footballers are.

Even Ledley was a boozehound.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but some people are concerned that a clearly talented young player may be in danger of abusing that talent. It’s certainly worthy of comment. But I agree the attacks on his character are wrong. The problem is that Kane has set such high standards for behaviour and professionalism that anything less than standard is viewed with suspicion.

I saw an interview with Harry when he admitted that spending too much time on social media fucked with his head at the Euro’s, and consequently he’s cut right back on it at the WC. Sound advice for Marcus I think.
I have no problem with judging him footbally (that's not a word).

But this attack on his character really leaves a bitter taste.

Just seems people have really jumped on the kid over a photo. One that really isn't that offensive to me.

As for Harry, that is sound advice, some he should give Marcus. But we all know how at 19 we all knew better than anyone. The arrogance of youth. He will walk his own path. Hopefully, whilst he's at Spurs, with the support of the fans.

Why do you think the photo is for your benefit?

He's dressed like a prat, to you. That's the in style. Especially for young black London youth atm. Just because you don't like the way he's dresses you can attack his character?

As for surrounded. I see a single drink in a drink holder (what a cheeky bastard, daring to have a drink) some rizla, a bottle of something and what looks like an empty crisp wrapper.

So basically, what every teenager has in their car when first on the road and in the summertime.

Yet he's called a cunt, having his character questioned, told he looks stupid by old folks and assumed that all the shit they are judging in the photo are his anyway.

It's just an instagram post, it's not that deep.

For all we know he's just stunting for the gram and his mates (like everyone does on Insta) and the car is a mates. Therefore none of that stuff is his.

Attacking our own over some trivial shit. That's low to me.

Well indeed, it was just an Instagram post, and my comments were just a few comments - they weren't "an attack on one of our own". But whatever.

No, you can't. And by all means, critique him over his lack of progression at Spurs. Or his failure to step up on loan at Norwich. But for how he looks on a single photo? Come on, that's corny. Critique him for football, not the way he looks, especially not when we have no idea on the context.

I bet some of you have kids, nephews, nieces etc. that have equally silly photos on social media. I know I do.

As I said, if we were all held accountable for how we behaved or looked at 19, we'd be fucked.

Gazza is worse tbf. Yet he's still idolised.

Anyway, surely we understand that not everyone is going to be Harry Kane?

We know what professional footballers are.

Even Ledley was a boozehound.
Ledley was at least hard working on the pitch, this one looks like all those self-entitled privileged millennials who thinks the world owes them something. In hebrew we have a saying on this type of young footballers "he hadn't tore a pair of shoes yet".
Before you indulge yourself in delights (which is allowed) achieve something.

no need to slate him on his instagram account. but if he wants to make it he should know there are higher standards for a young footballer

Not really bothered about the photo, but from what we can see and stories I've heard he sounds like he lacks professionalism. Hopefully a bit of a talking to and he can become part of our squad. If that doesn't work out we can go our separate ways and wish him well. Not one for turning on Spurs players, though I can't think of many opportunities better for a young and athletically gifted person than pro-level football.

Well indeed, it was just an Instagram post, and my comments were just a few comments - they weren't "an attack on one of our own". But whatever.
When I say ''you'', I'm using it collectively. Sorry if it came across as if I meant you specifically.

I'm talking about the obviously older generation that don't get ''stuntin' for the gram'' and younger fashion.

I've seen how some of y'all dressed in the 80's by the way.

56dde78d6778857bc445b42bb678205d.jpg

:pochlol:

But Marcus Edwards isn't to blame for that.
Didn't say he was - however if I saw this display from anyone (my nephew included) I'd think what a bellend. The fact he's played about one pro game makes it a bit embarrassing. If he had been seriously knocking at the door I'd have a bit more respect.

I think this all comes down to a collective grown... most have become tired of hearing negative things coming out about him. We all know to ignore 99% of the press but coach quotes are something different. When you're not performing it's time to bury your head and knuckle down. Sure we all have embarrassing photos from the past but part of his role is being in the spotlight... it's not unreasonable to think he should consider what he posts? Anyway, i'm not so fussed about him. It's his loss not mine

I think this all comes down to a collective grown... most have become tired of hearing negative things coming out about him. We all know to ignore 99% of the press but coach quotes are something different. When you're not performing it's time to bury your head and knuckle down. Sure we all have embarrassing photos from the past but part of his role is being in the spotlight... it's not unreasonable to think he should consider what he posts? Anyway, i'm not so fussed about him. It's his loss not mine
He's posted 2 photos on Instagram. Ever.

He's done fuck all since Poch praised him, decided he was too good to turn up to work at Norwich on time a single time during his loan there and was sacked. That's where the questions of his mentality come from- and rightly so.

As mentioned in my previous post, its fine to have these opinions based on those things.

I just dont think a picture on Instagram has any relevance to any of that.

just checked his twatter, hardly prolific. Stand corrected, he's not a serial poster so good for him. Maybe it's time to cut him some slack and see what this season brings?

I think if a few of our experienced players who have/had their own rough edges but have gone on to excellent careers (Dele) could provide an 'arm round the shoulder' that would be good. Maybe they already have?

Back
Top Bottom