Safe-standing at White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Done it the moment you posted it on Twitter because I'm hardcore :avbscream:

I also think it's best if the club get to see this in some way, hopefully provoking a reaction................................................................................................

:adegrin:

that's right bitches, the joke ended but I still done it anyway :parker:

I know its not the same, but I went to a gig at Wembley Arena on Saturday and had a 'seated' ticket.

For the whole time I was there, I was stood up. People were jumping up and down, moving around in the aisles, rushing to the front of the 'stand' etc.

There were stewards in attendance and they didn't care. It was arguably worse than football as you're not always gonna be jumping up and down and there will be times when you're stood still watching the action unfold. You could also have alcohol in your 'seat'. I don't know about the actual laws but if you can get away with it for a gig, why not for football?

Well I might be wrong but didn't the alcohol thing come in after Hillsborough where the police fraudulently put about that alcohol was the cause. To be honest the inquiry of the early nineties into what should be done about football should really be over turned and re evaluated.

yeah I heard similar as well, think it's a joke. Apparently Sunderland fans might be doing something about it tomorrow, not sure what but I saw a couple of tweets saying they might protest or something.

Just passing along from another site where I saw this from a ST holder at Sunderland.

"Im not sure if you've heard about the carry on that has been happening at the Stadium Of Light since the beginning of the season regarding our singing stand and people having their season cards suspended due to standing in a stand where the vast majority of people are standing.

If not here's a link to a news article on the daily mail website.
Sunderland issue warning sign to fans for persistent standing | Mail Online

Anyways as this has all came about since Wednesday we are in a rush to quickly organize a vocal protest in regards to safe standing and the heavy handed treatment our fans have received from our stewards.

As this is receiving quite a bit of press attention at the moment and also with the game being on sky i would just like to ask any of you travelling up to the game on Saturday (Or even tell your mates about it if they are travelling up) to perhaps join in with us in an attempt to get a point across live on TV with the media looking in on the game, that we would really like to see safe standing return to English Football in a similar way to like it is in Germany with the rail seating.

i know it isn't the usual thing to show support to another teams fans and join as one but we feel this is a subject that needs to be discussed and what better way to make our point than to join as one and request safe standing?

i shall post a link to a thread on our main forum in regards to this protest and thanks in advance for anything you do come Saturday."

I understand what happened at Hillsborough is a travesty, but I guess it is a different culture over here where standing happens often, I can not even recall a college American football game where I was able to sit. Hope the survey went well and we can all do our part.

We've written up the survey and we're handing over to the club early next week. Copies will be offered to the executive board members as a part of this hand over. They will be given a fair period to absorb the information and a date on which the findings will be published.

This is all we can say right now in order to be fair to the club. We'll let you know when there's more to tell.

not true.
the fences were still there.

The fences would have been irrelevant. Safe standing is essentially no different to what we have right now, you just don't get a seat. There's also a rail between each row of spectators preventing surges forward like the ones that crushed the fans in 1989.

I don't know enough about Hillsborough to pass judgment, but wasn't part of the problem the fact that unmanned gates were targeted by fans without tickets, causing a huge overcrowding & in consequence the trampling & crushing of fans who had tickets & were legitimately in the stadium?
So you read The Sun?

The rest of the thread gives a general sense as to why your perception is wrong, but if you're too busy to read the Taylor Report, then you can watch the pretty decent film ESPN produced this summer about it.

What really gets me, is that the Hillsborough people who cry foul whenever standing is mentioned don't realise that had safe standing been in place, the disaster would not have happened.
Ha ha - fucking hilarious
Arcspace disagrees with you - with his obvious profound knowledge of the safe standing arrangements in front of his TV 12,000 miles away.
Bwahahahaha

By booking in the safe standing area, you would be obliged to stand. If you sat, I'd suggest that would be your own fault.
yeah, I get that - the name of the area being the giveaway. In the bad old days, the kids got shoved to the front, or they sat on the crush barrier with their Dad stood behind them.
The reason I think standing areas suck, is because I'm a short arse, and sods law says I'd get some 6'6" gorilla in front of me. Seats work for me as most peoples height is in their leg length.

I posted in General Football about this. Just copying and pasting it over, like.

The short-sightedness around this issue continues. There is zero political appetite to introduce safe-standing, and I can't see that changing for decades in England. It's stupid though, because the current system of turning a blind eye to standing is less safe than rail seating. I don't think going to any football match in England is unsafe nowadays, but if there was going to be something that was going to cause a problem it would be areas where there is standing but the stadium isn't designed for that which would be the obvious potential flashpoint.

The negative attitude towards football fans continues to persist, and I guess things like how the England fans behaved in Amsterdam doesn't exactly help our image in the eyes of people who have never been to a football match in their life.

By the way, other than non-league grounds which allow standing I've been to games which have it in the Bundesliga and the positive effect it has on the atmosphere is obvious. (I also went to a game in Reykjavik where you could stand, although as the attendance is quite low it has the feel of a lower tier game. Not their fault though, barely anyone lives there!)
Indeed. There just isn't any political appetite for it (in other words they can't see how they can gain votes from it). And of course there are some Hillsborough support groups still opposed to it, and going up against them is politically problematic (despite the fact that 88% of Liverpool fans are in favour of safe standing).

Considering that the Tories generally enjoy antagonising Scousers in particular, you'd think they might get behind it though!

Yeah the survey sounds like it's being interpreted (and was conducted) in a way that enables them to claim there's barely any demand, when it's clear that this is simply not the case. The amount of standing that already happens in a lot of matches shows that people want this. Did they ask people whether they actually attend matches? If they did, did they discount the responses from people who said they didn't? Fair enough, most people don't want to stand for an entire game. No one is going to force them to. But I don't think it's helpful to get the opinions of people who aren't going to take up the offer of safe standing even if it's there. Safe standing already works in a lot of countries, and it's disingenuous to keep falling back on hooliganism and crowd safety issues that just aren't a factor in top flight football in 2018.

I'd like to see them do a fan survey about VAR.

Bringing back standing needn't mean bringing back all of that, though. It would still be all-ticket so you couldn't just turn up on the day and there'd be a set number of people in the area. You can have stewards checking tickets at each gangway to make sure there aren't people moving to the standing area once inside. The norms of going to football have moved on enough that anyone pissing on someone else's leg would be turned on and booted out very quickly. The prices mean that certain "types" who might be perceived as most likely to cause trouble still won't be going to matches, and that it won't just be an impulse purchase for most people - the fans will be the same people they are now who manage to act in a mostly civilised fashion.

Back
Top Bottom