Safe-standing at White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I posted in General Football about this. Just copying and pasting it over, like.

The short-sightedness around this issue continues. There is zero political appetite to introduce safe-standing, and I can't see that changing for decades in England. It's stupid though, because the current system of turning a blind eye to standing is less safe than rail seating. I don't think going to any football match in England is unsafe nowadays, but if there was going to be something that was going to cause a problem it would be areas where there is standing but the stadium isn't designed for that which would be the obvious potential flashpoint.

The negative attitude towards football fans continues to persist, and I guess things like how the England fans behaved in Amsterdam doesn't exactly help our image in the eyes of people who have never been to a football match in their life.

By the way, other than non-league grounds which allow standing I've been to games which have it in the Bundesliga and the positive effect it has on the atmosphere is obvious. (I also went to a game in Reykjavik where you could stand, although as the attendance is quite low it has the feel of a lower tier game. Not their fault though, barely anyone lives there!)

I posted in General Football about this. Just copying and pasting it over, like.

The short-sightedness around this issue continues. There is zero political appetite to introduce safe-standing, and I can't see that changing for decades in England. It's stupid though, because the current system of turning a blind eye to standing is less safe than rail seating. I don't think going to any football match in England is unsafe nowadays, but if there was going to be something that was going to cause a problem it would be areas where there is standing but the stadium isn't designed for that which would be the obvious potential flashpoint.

The negative attitude towards football fans continues to persist, and I guess things like how the England fans behaved in Amsterdam doesn't exactly help our image in the eyes of people who have never been to a football match in their life.

By the way, other than non-league grounds which allow standing I've been to games which have it in the Bundesliga and the positive effect it has on the atmosphere is obvious. (I also went to a game in Reykjavik where you could stand, although as the attendance is quite low it has the feel of a lower tier game. Not their fault though, barely anyone lives there!)
Indeed. There just isn't any political appetite for it (in other words they can't see how they can gain votes from it). And of course there are some Hillsborough support groups still opposed to it, and going up against them is politically problematic (despite the fact that 88% of Liverpool fans are in favour of safe standing).

Considering that the Tories generally enjoy antagonising Scousers in particular, you'd think they might get behind it though!

Indeed. There just isn't any political appetite for it (in other words they can't see how they can gain votes from it). And of course there are some Hillsborough support groups still opposed to it, and going up against them is politically problematic (despite the fact that 88% of Liverpool fans are in favour of safe standing).

Considering that the Tories generally enjoy antagonising Scousers in particular, you'd think they might get behind it though!
Actually it makes perfect sense for the Tories to support it. Safe standing biggest supporters are young people who like the nostalgia to standing and want cheaper tickets, it’s hardly the vegan latte brigade but more of the young and ard who are more prone to the right but probably don’t go out and vote like the bints from Sussex uni momentum group.
Supporting it might actually give Tories some inroad to young voters

Actually it makes perfect sense for the Tories to support it. Safe standing biggest supporters are young people who like the nostalgia to standing and want cheaper tickets, it’s hardly the vegan latte brigade but more of the young and ard who are more prone to the right but probably don’t go out and vote like the bints from Sussex uni momentum group.
Yeaaaah good luck with that....
:pocheyes:

The younger generation despise the Tories and everything they stand for.

LFC, the Spirit of Shankly, and HFSG (who are the H'borough group) all overwhelmingly support Safe standing (the last fans vote was 88% in favour)

Understandably there are a few vocal fans who suffered loss at H'borugh who will never agree, but that's emotive and should have no bearing on a rational decision that effects millions of fans ...

The fact is the Taylor Report blamed the use of standing via a whole, now shown to be incorrect, series of spurious arguments ...

Since the Taylor Report we know now that the cause of the tragedy was 100% down to fences ... yes the police response was slow, yes there were too many standing fans in the section ... but ... if there had been no fences, there would have been no issue ...

FFS - we were there just a few years before and if the police/fans hadn't opened/broken down the fences and allowed us around the pitch, we'd be the victims ... how easily that's forgotten ...

What was the response to the near Spurs tragedy? build stronger fences .... right there lies the blame ... who was responsible for that? it's not even considered in the Taylor report ...

The Taylor report needs throwing away and a new report on the 'safety' of crowd standing commissioned, it will happen but maybe not in my lifetime ...

Last edited:
At Wembley we have, what, 10,000 people who stand? For big games it goes up to 15,000. I suspect most of the single tier in the new stadium will stand all game. People already stand. I fail to understand not implementing a way of making it safer. Anyone who goes in these areas knows about cuts on their shins and having to leap over seats. Madness.

By the way, other than non-league grounds which allow standing I've been to games which have it in the Bundesliga and the positive effect it has on the atmosphere is obvious.
I was at the Cambridge United v Exeter (League 2) game at the weekend and they allow standing in their north terrace. They represented only 25% of the 4,000 or so in the ground, but it was the only 'home' area making any noise other than when one of the teams scored.

Back
Top Bottom