Safe-standing at White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah the survey sounds like it's being interpreted (and was conducted) in a way that enables them to claim there's barely any demand, when it's clear that this is simply not the case. The amount of standing that already happens in a lot of matches shows that people want this. Did they ask people whether they actually attend matches? If they did, did they discount the responses from people who said they didn't? Fair enough, most people don't want to stand for an entire game. No one is going to force them to. But I don't think it's helpful to get the opinions of people who aren't going to take up the offer of safe standing even if it's there. Safe standing already works in a lot of countries, and it's disingenuous to keep falling back on hooliganism and crowd safety issues that just aren't a factor in top flight football in 2018.

I'd like to see them do a fan survey about VAR.

I can see this backfiring. Politicians cannot just say yes, there are always conditions that will be tabled by those against the idea. I can just see them agreeing subject to the remainder of the ground NOT standing and if Standing continued elsewhere in the ground it would allow them to stop it. That will upset others.
Who is going to be in the safe standing area?
Those in that area now or are others going to be able to transfer from elsewhere?
As it is suggested that it will be 1 for 1 will it be cheaper or will the supporter pay the same to stand as sitting?

Do not believe me, just look at Brexit. A simple decision by the people to leave the EU but now Politicians of all parties are meddling, the outcome will not be what we all expected.

I can see this backfiring. Politicians cannot just say yes, there are always conditions that will be tabled by those against the idea. I can just see them agreeing subject to the remainder of the ground NOT standing and if Standing continued elsewhere in the ground it would allow them to stop it. That will upset others.
Those in that area now or are others going to be able to transfer from elsewhere?
As it is suggested that it will be 1 for 1 will it be cheaper or will the supporter pay the same to stand as sitting?

Do not believe me, just look at Brexit. A simple decision by the people to leave the EU but now Politicians of all parties are meddling, the outcome will not be what we all expected.
It's not at all comparable to Brexit. Certain people might have thought that was simple, but the kindest thing I could describe that as would be profoundly misinformed considering prominent members of the Leave campaigns and the governing parties had completely different visions for what to do next. Safe standing is either legalised or it isn't. The hope is that once it is, it will largely be in the hands of clubs to manage effectively - try to get the standing area to match the proportion of fans who want to stand.

In terms of constitutional law Brexit is anything but simple. Good for lawyers though. This is relatively simple. The sports minister just has to allow safe standing. There is no statute prohibiting it as far as I am aware.
Anyway, I don't think this petition will work but, momentum is gathering. Clubs openly supporting, politicians, managers etc. Didnt even think i would see that.

Last edited:
The petition is to get the subject debated in Parliament. I have a very poor opinion of Politicians and can just see MP 's coming up with all sorts of restrictions and making the simple being anything but simple.
I spent many years standing on the shelf and was unhappy when standing was banned but if it returns it will be so restricted and not the same as it was.

The petition is to get the subject debated in Parliament. I have a very poor opinion of Politicians and can just see MP 's coming up with all sorts of restrictions and making the simple being anything but simple.
I spent many years standing on the shelf and was unhappy when standing was banned but if it returns it will be so restricted and not the same as it was.
nothing will ever be like standing on the Old Shelf, but safe standing will still be a whole lot better than what we've got now.

Once it gets debated, then each one of us can try to bring it up with our MP in their Sat surgery. Even Tory MPs might not oppose it. I'll try and see Mr. Tom Tugendhat, please try to see your one.

I used to love the days before hooliganism took hold where you could walk round most grounds and stand behind the end your team was attacking exchanging banter with the opposition fans along the way at half time

Would love safe standing areas back

I was fairly young when all seater stadiums rolled out and I was absolutely delighted standing was ended. It used to be awful at times in the east stand, and when I state “at times” I mean the “bigger” games. It was fine when 17,000 were rolling in for a nothing game on a drab Wednesday night....

But, at those bigger matches the turnstile staff would only stop letting people in when they realised it was time to clock off, £10 got you in no matter what the capacity might or might not have been, there was no regard for the safety of the fans. We were cattle and many fans were happy to play the BSE cow role and they kept em coming.

You would need the good luck of a lottery winner to be standing in the same spot for 90 minutes, or at a barrier point or the end of Aisle, Christ if you got the end of the Aisle for a while game..... It was the law of the jungle back then, faced on a regular basis with bigger, meaner or more pissed than you people, move over you did!

The only thing close to that I have encountered under all seating arrangements is when we had the WHL finale last year and all kinds of absolute tossers found their way into block 31 - clearly without tickets (( That’s a disgrace by the way and something the Club did not do enough to apologise for - those that bunked in were not “fans” and i’ll never forget that dozey scouse lass standing behind us chearfully informing people she had never been to a football game before and got in for a bung on the turnstile or the hygienically challenged prick who stood in front on me in the same Row - pissed of course ))

Back in the “good old days” the drunks were awful (( all drunks are annoying unless you too are drunk)) people would literally piss on others rather than go out to the toilet, the rucks and shoving was always going on and essentially Human decency was a highly questionable concept, honestly it makes me cringe how bad it could be and most of it was driven by poor stadium management, there were simply too many people in sections and no way to verify who should be there and who should be elsewhere. Under Seating conditions you seldom have those problems.

To suggest now that we fans were all hugging each other while singing the Sideboard Song is to ignore the truth. It was unsafe on too many occasions and there is a lot of historic examples of crowd problems that have simply not been as replicated under seating conditions (although I have still seen pockets of ridiculous behaviour at various stadiums including our own)

I feel that any reversion to standing would need to find a way ensure that stewards could keep areas from being overloaded, then it has a potential to be controlled and then be “safe” but how can it be done if it’s not managed and what club will really want £8.75 an hour staff managing the issue?

I feel with a seat you are either in it or not ( in theory at least as let’s be honest we have all had the pissed Cunt on a child’s ticket bundle into our rows to “stand with me mates” despite paying 50% less than we have) the seats create the natural boundary, that’s important with huge groups of people, no seat, no boundary = problems.

So for me, drop the romantic point of view from the debate and focus on the real challenges of crowd management under standing conditions I remain completely against the “safe standing” concept as I do not believe it would be safe, but if there is a way, let’s all hear it.

Now one other and complex thing to consider is have we, as a society, moved on from loutish behaviour at football? Are the current / next generation simply more likely to have a smoothy than 6 pints of Stella and some rancid Chic King in a grease soaked box ? And could thus self govern the areas of standing ? I am not seeing it yet, although I feel cynical in saying that. Apologies if I am.

Bringing back standing needn't mean bringing back all of that, though. It would still be all-ticket so you couldn't just turn up on the day and there'd be a set number of people in the area. You can have stewards checking tickets at each gangway to make sure there aren't people moving to the standing area once inside. The norms of going to football have moved on enough that anyone pissing on someone else's leg would be turned on and booted out very quickly. The prices mean that certain "types" who might be perceived as most likely to cause trouble still won't be going to matches, and that it won't just be an impulse purchase for most people - the fans will be the same people they are now who manage to act in a mostly civilised fashion.

Do you understand how safe standing/rail seats work?

I assume from your ramblings that you don’t.

There’s no reason why any of the stuff you mention would happen. It’s far from the old crumbling terrace free for all that you’re harking back to

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt in that perhaps you have been in a safe standing environment and in which case you will certainly, if it was a positive, have a better understanding of how it works than me and in which case i’d appreciate the chance to be swayed. If it works great. I was pretty clear in saying I was likely cynical and that inference was that I might well be wrong.

I would also say that you need to understand that opinions are there to be debated and not shot down and dismissed. The use of the word Rambling, because a point of view is not what you agree with, is insulting and condescending.

I was fairly young when all seater stadiums rolled out and I was absolutely delighted standing was ended. It used to be awful at times in the east stand, and when I state “at times” I mean the “bigger” games. It was fine when 17,000 were rolling in for a nothing game on a drab Wednesday night....

But, at those bigger matches the turnstile staff would only stop letting people in when they realised it was time to clock off, £10 got you in no matter what the capacity might or might not have been, there was no regard for the safety of the fans. We were cattle and many fans were happy to play the BSE cow role and they kept em coming.

You would need the good luck of a lottery winner to be standing in the same spot for 90 minutes, or at a barrier point or the end of Aisle, Christ if you got the end of the Aisle for a while game..... It was the law of the jungle back then, faced on a regular basis with bigger, meaner or more pissed than you people, move over you did!

The only thing close to that I have encountered under all seating arrangements is when we had the WHL finale last year and all kinds of absolute tossers found their way into block 31 - clearly without tickets (( That’s a disgrace by the way and something the Club did not do enough to apologise for - those that bunked in were not “fans” and i’ll never forget that dozey scouse lass standing behind us chearfully informing people she had never been to a football game before and got in for a bung on the turnstile or the hygienically challenged prick who stood in front on me in the same Row - pissed of course ))

Back in the “good old days” the drunks were awful (( all drunks are annoying unless you too are drunk)) people would literally piss on others rather than go out to the toilet, the rucks and shoving was always going on and essentially Human decency was a highly questionable concept, honestly it makes me cringe how bad it could be and most of it was driven by poor stadium management, there were simply too many people in sections and no way to verify who should be there and who should be elsewhere. Under Seating conditions you seldom have those problems.

To suggest now that we fans were all hugging each other while singing the Sideboard Song is to ignore the truth. It was unsafe on too many occasions and there is a lot of historic examples of crowd problems that have simply not been as replicated under seating conditions (although I have still seen pockets of ridiculous behaviour at various stadiums including our own)

I feel that any reversion to standing would need to find a way ensure that stewards could keep areas from being overloaded, then it has a potential to be controlled and then be “safe” but how can it be done if it’s not managed and what club will really want £8.75 an hour staff managing the issue?

I feel with a seat you are either in it or not ( in theory at least as let’s be honest we have all had the pissed Cunt on a child’s ticket bundle into our rows to “stand with me mates” despite paying 50% less than we have) the seats create the natural boundary, that’s important with huge groups of people, no seat, no boundary = problems.

So for me, drop the romantic point of view from the debate and focus on the real challenges of crowd management under standing conditions I remain completely against the “safe standing” concept as I do not believe it would be safe, but if there is a way, let’s all hear it.

Now one other and complex thing to consider is have we, as a society, moved on from loutish behaviour at football? Are the current / next generation simply more likely to have a smoothy than 6 pints of Stella and some rancid Chic King in a grease soaked box ? And could thus self govern the areas of standing ? I am not seeing it yet, although I feel cynical in saying that. Apologies if I am.

Total lack of understanding ....

In a 'safe standing' environment everybody still has a seat, it's just folded up, in the UK the ratio seated to standing is currently 1:1 so it's exactly the same number of fans, in exactly the same places ...

Don't post meandering drivel if you don't understand the subject ..... at least do some research first ....

[QUOTE="Don't post meandering drivel if you don't understand the subject ..... at least do some research first ....[/QUOTE]

I’m certainly willing to be swayed on the subject. I have not used or encountered “safe standing” so it might well be that it is an answer to some problem, I assume that problem to be atmosphere based.

Drivel, and meandering ? The facts I stated about how standing was or how the last game at WHL was ? What bit is drivel ( nonsense ) ?

Or it it that any opposing view should be shot down if it affects an already closed opinion ?

I did not and do not state I am right. My view is what it is based on experiences to date. Your view is what it is for equally valid reasons, but insults add nothing to any debate. I said I felt cynical for my point of view. To be clear that is because generally the concept is favored so the majority opinion is against my own views, that’s fine surely ?

Yeah, that was the intention.

I simply do not understand how you go from reading an alternative point of view to attacks

As I said “I remain completely against the “safe standing” concept as I do not believe it would be safe, but if there is a way, let’s all hear it.

I also said quite clearly I felt “Cynical” in my point of view. That is because I understand that the large majority favour the concept. I did not and do not think I am right / others are wrong. I am not convinced on the concept for the reasons I stated. A differing opinion. That’s all.

All of it because none of what you said is relevant to safe standing. Do some research.

It’s all relevant as my view have been formed on experience, those experiences have made me cynical to the concept. That’s not to say that I am right, I might well be wrong. I said, fairly clearly that if there are benefits.....

I’m not closed minded on the subject, to bring a bit more concept I stand 99.9% of the time as it is, so perhaps that sways. I have to state, clearly that I am likely to have a much more positive view on standing if I were subjected to that sit down mantra every week, that I am not probably leans me towards the status quo. But then I do need to understand those that have ( are forced ) to sit.

Back
Top Bottom