Revised Expectations For The Season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think our change in expectations has allot more to do with the rise of Everton & Liverpool than it has to do with the sacking of AVB. Had the merseyside clubs been on the same form as last year, along with United falling away, top 4 would be expected.

I think top 6 and a Cup Final is fair.

If we win any of the major trophies (I'm including the League Cup there), I'd take any League position within reason (top 7/8).

If we don't, I want us to at least put up a fight to the very end in terms of trying to get 4th place.

If anything, from what the recent weeks have shown us, is that the players have really been looking like they don't care that much.

I want to see them start enjoying their football now and give 110% every game, that's all we ask for as fans, and the results will come. AND THE GOALS!! WOOOOO!!

But yeah basically if we don't win the league, Europa league, Capital One and FA cup. Then we've had an unsuccessful season...
:holtbytongue:

I'll compare our transfer dealings with who I like, thank you very much. I don't need you to tell me who I should compare with. As it happens it might have been better if we spent £150m, if that extra £50m had got us another striker, another LB, another goalkeeper and another CB.

So what size exactly is our club? I thought we were about the 6th biggest in the country - how comes we end up with a lop-sided squad? Why did we miss out on various players that AVB wanted? Why didn't we get in more Prem proven players? We let go a lot of Prem-proven/young English talent this summer permanently or on loan

Bale Hudd Carroll Caulker BAE Livermore Smith IIRC, maybe more

Each individual sale/loan had logic behind it - but it didn't work so far did it? Maybe we should have spent the same, but kept a few more and did some 'net spend' that way?

Also ENIC's 'zero net spend' approach is nothing new. It's not as if it's just this summer.

ENIC have hardly invested any of their own money in this club over the past 13 years, using the fans' money instead. That approach has brought us one Lge Cup in that time - it's not good enough, for me at least.
Greaves, it was not meant in an aggressive manner, you're response suggests that's how you took it :adebaehug:

My point was that our transfer dealings are, in my view, incomparable to Hull's, Palace's etc. They are on two completely different scales. The NET spend's might be similar, but the figures in and out are worlds apart.

I don't know who we could have spent an extra £50m on. We had enough change as it was, without additional bodies in. Had Ade been fit/not exiled, we'd have had enough strikers for our one-man up top system. And against what I though originally, it is clear to see loaning out BAE was a huge mistake, but we have enough players on the books to compete.

6th biggest sounds about right to me. Lop-sided squad? Sure, it isn't perfect, but Man Utd are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and they have had Cleverley & Jones playing in midfield recently in Carrick's absence. I wouldn't have either of those two in our team, or even on the bench. It's not all rosy for everyone else. It's easy to make it seem like we're the only one's with any problems.

Why did we miss out on players? No club gets every target they go for. That is life I'm afraid. Part and parcel of football. I know you have a disliking for ENIC so I'm sure you feel it is their fault and they should have spent what they had to to get AVB's targets, but that would be irresponsible on their part. We are not Man City, we have to be sensible with our money.

Prem-proven players notoriously cost far more. Look at Benteke & Lukaku - they're worth far more than they were previously. Plus teams are always wary of selling to their rivals, so prices inflate. You'll do well to find a bargain in the Prem.

We couldn't hold onto Bale. Hudd & Livermore aren't 'proven', or not at the level we now find ourselves. Smith is still an unknown. Caulker was an odd sale, but maybe he wanted guaranteed first team football and we didn't oblige? Carroll's loan I agree with. Our midfield is packed and he needs regular football to continue his development.

Agree that we could have kept some players and spent less - but hindsight is a wonderful thing! I do think our signings will come good though.

I'd be interested to see some figures as I can't see how ENIC haven't spent a large amount of their money. We have spent fortunes in recent years, and not sold half as many players as we've bought.

I think our change in expectations has allot more to do with the rise of Everton & Liverpool than it has to do with the sacking of AVB. Had the merseyside clubs been on the same form as last year, along with United falling away, top 4 would be expected.

I think top 6 and a Cup Final is fair.

Wouldn't be too worried about everton long term though..3/4 of their best players are loanees...

Expectations-wise, I don't think they've changed much...
I've not genuinely 'expected' to win the league since 1987... and look how that turned out... I've not been back with such expectations since!
Cups-wise, that's always been in the background with us... the relatively new-found expectation of Top Four meaning anything, have only really served to help raise, then dash our expectations for the past 5 or so years, with the one and only CL season proving to raise our expectations yet further!

One of the cups, and at least a REALISTIC go at getting 4th going into the final couple of games is all I've ever wanted, or expected recently!
So in that respect, nothing's changed... and for that, I'm oooot!!

I expected AVB to get top 5 and improve in all of the cup competitions this season. I still feel our squad is good enough to achieve that regardless of the manager. We could finish anywhere from 1st to 10th depending on what kind of run we go on and we're still in all 3 cup competitions so it seems reasonable enough to expect a decent cup run as well.

With this squad of players top 4 is still a massive possibility and is what we will achieve.

The shackles are off and these players will,show just how good they are..

With all due respect, your totally wrong, but it doesn't matter all that much.

The idiot (AVB) has done eruptible damage. Although some of the players he signed aren't bad, the squad lacks balance, and we may have to try and get rid of a few before we can sign what we need. The best manager in the world is not going to get a top four place with the players we have at present. We need a manager that can start moving us in the right direction, and give the supporters some entertainment. From a selfish point of view, I would rather finish outside the Europa league spots and play on Saturdays next season. My guess would be 6th/7th, but wouldn't be surprised if it was lower.

With all due respect, your totally wrong, but it doesn't matter all that much.

The idiot (AVB) has done eruptible damage. Although some of the players he signed aren't bad, the squad lacks balance, and we may have to try and get rid of a few before we can sign what we need. The best manager in the world is not going to get a top four place with the players we have at present. We need a manager that can start moving us in the right direction, and give the supporters some entertainment. From a selfish point of view, I would rather finish outside the Europa league spots and play on Saturdays next season. My guess would be 6th/7th, but wouldn't be surprised if it was lower.
You're absolutely right. We don't deserve a European spot.

Not when we've got fans like you "supporting" us. Doom and gloom all the way to the 75th minute walkout, eh?

As tonight proved, there are no quick fixes.

AVB was part of the problem. Gone now.

The composition of the squad was also part of the problem. Remains.

Also the mentality of a whole bunch of players. Remains yet.

I'd take top 7 right now, in a flash. Preferably no Europa League either.

Well, we'll see who's right at the end of the season won't we? 4th is way beyond us this season, and you'll realise it soon enough. I don't expect us to beat Soton for a start off BTW.
I'm not spreading doom, I'm spreading realism. We are way off being a top 4 team, IMHO of course. It's good if people are optimistic, it's bad if they use inflated expectations as a stick to beat the team or other posters with.
I'll just quote myself, mmm self-love, if I was an ice-cream etc :)

Back
Top Bottom