Revised Expectations For The Season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think you can have any expectations beyond say "7th, without further shameful displays," this season.
New manager inherits a team, it's mid-season, the jan transfer window helps but what can be achieved is more limited than the summer, players are low on confidence, etc.
But a good manager may be able to do better than those expectations with a bit of luck. A very good manager could still achieve top four and/or a cup but there is the problem of who we can atract, when and even then you can hope, but not expect it this season.

Martinez mad an instant impact at Everton, a club engrained with Dour Daves DNA (yuk!)

Pochettino came in, brand new to the EPL and took a good team up a level instantly.

Hiddink when he took over at Chelsea the same.

We are in all comps and a couple of wins off of second (SECOND, not "top 4") so we have absolutely everything to play for and should be aiming for all that we were in the summer.

I don't think you can have any expectations beyond say "7th, without further shameful displays," this season.
New manager inherits a team, it's mid-season, the jan transfer window helps but what can be achieved is more limited than the summer, players are low on confidence, etc.
But a good manager may be able to do better than those expectations with a bit of luck. A very good manager could still achieve top four and/or a cup but there is the problem of who we can atract, when and even then you can hope, but not expect it this season.

I still think that while yea, a great manager may pull off a cup and/4th...alot of it comes down to the quality of the players...after all they are the ones kicking the ball around.

I'll book the wake now, do you want vol au vents or sausage rolls?

We will never win the League under ENIC, unless they change their penny pinching ways, and when's that gonna happen? The Twelfth of Never is my prediction.

For those who don't know, this summer far from spending a lot of money, our net spend was the lowest in the Prem. Yep lower than Hull, Palace, whoever. We apparently had a negative net spend. Even allowing for agents fees, we spent approximately nothing in net terms.
That'll be because we sold the most expensive player in the history of the sport. Would we have been better off spending £150m just to make it look like we were investing?

Don't even compare our transfer dealings with the likes of Hull & Palace. They are so incomparable it's not even true.

Not many clubs of our size would sell £100m+ worth of players and reinvest the whole lot.

Thing is, if we don't achieve 4th this season we have fucked right up because the last few years Liverpool have been out of it, but they are much stronger now - they arent going to win the league but they are good enough for top four and with their head start we have fucked that up. If they get back into CL and attract bigger players etc, they may stay there for several seasons. Man United have dropped like a stone since SAF left and that is another opportunity this year that if we don't take advantage of we could again live to regret.
It is so fucking spursy though, so I am no in the least surprised. But I am annoyed.

It all kind of depends. Will ENIC want a steady hand with limited durability or do they want another 1½ year, sorry, "long term project"?

Despite our rather decent league position with 22 games to go (3 wins of the title!) this season will be erratic, first bloody Tim Sherwood caretaking, then a new manager with his own january transfer window pursuits and the inevitable revival of certain players and alienation of others, what I can realistically expect is:

1: Positive, attacking football in every game, succeeding doing so or not
2: Players making an effort every game - then ones not doing so being instantly dropped and possibly flogged.
3: A points taking us closer to the CL than to the relegation zone.

I would say that is quite realistic. Anything beyond that would be a bonus.

As long as we play sweeper keepers, false 9's, box to box midfielders, trequartista's, shadow strikers, regista's, complete wing backs, enganche's, poachers, deep lying forwards, libero's, ball playing defenders and the likes.

I'm easy really.
Well you forgot last ditch tackling heart on yer sleeve get it in the fuckin mixer big man little man up front

Martinez mad an instant impact at Everton, a club engrained with Dour Daves DNA (yuk!)

Pochettino came in, brand new to the EPL and took a good team up a level instantly.

Hiddink when he took over at Chelsea the same.

We are in all comps and a couple of wins off of second (SECOND, not "top 4") so we have absolutely everything to play for and should be aiming for all that we were in the summer.

But those two have half a season and a pre season over our new man, and didnt have to drag their players moral out of the gutter

That'll be because we sold the most expensive player in the history of the sport. Would we have been better off spending £150m just to make it look like we were investing?

Don't even compare our transfer dealings with the likes of Hull & Palace. They are so incomparable it's not even true.

Not many clubs of our size would sell £100m+ worth of players and reinvest the whole lot.
I'll compare our transfer dealings with who I like, thank you very much. I don't need you to tell me who I should compare with. As it happens it might have been better if we spent £150m, if that extra £50m had got us another striker, another LB, another goalkeeper and another CB.

So what size exactly is our club? I thought we were about the 6th biggest in the country - how comes we end up with a lop-sided squad? Why did we miss out on various players that AVB wanted? Why didn't we get in more Prem proven players? We let go a lot of Prem-proven/young English talent this summer permanently or on loan

Bale Hudd Carroll Caulker BAE Livermore Smith IIRC, maybe more

Each individual sale/loan had logic behind it - but it didn't work so far did it? Maybe we should have spent the same, but kept a few more and did some 'net spend' that way?

Also ENIC's 'zero net spend' approach is nothing new. It's not as if it's just this summer.

ENIC have hardly invested any of their own money in this club over the past 13 years, using the fans' money instead. That approach has brought us one Lge Cup in that time - it's not good enough, for me at least.

My expectations are the same as they were at the start of the season. We're only 7th, it's not another 2 points from 8 games. We have a good squad and we just need to throw the shackles off and play attacking football with quick passing and movement rather than play like a team of Jenas's

But those two have half a season and a pre season over our new man, and didnt have to drag their players moral out of the gutter

Pochettino took over at SCBC in mid Jan and made an immediate impact. It can be done.

There is nothing to suggest player morale is in the gutter.

I want us to win the Europa Cup first and foremost. 4th will be tough but we should still aim for it otherwise whats the point, realistically top 7.

my expectations haven't changed at all.

one of the problems is too many people are deluded, when it come to us.

Back
Top Bottom