Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why was it that goal keepers up until the 50s wore a normal roll neck jumper as part of their kit?

QI : Getting Shirty - A history of goalkeeper kits and football shirts | Goalkeepers are Different

Early goalkeeper shirts often came in two forms. The first resembled a tight fitting undershirt or long-sleeved vest can often be seen in early photographs, usually being worn by the legendary Billy "Fatty" Foulke. The second was the more traditional woolly polo neck sweater. This heavy-looking thing became commonplace during the cold winter months and only really died out in the early sixties, when fashion dictated that a more athletic jersey should be worn. These light cotton garments were already popular on the continent but it wouldn't be the last time British football was slow on the uptake.

mSfTL96.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
mSfTL96.jpg

This is Tottenham Juniors 1947-48 with their trophy haul, taken at White Hart Lane.
Thought I would share it as we are saying bye to the old girl on Sunday and have had many family memories there.

My Grandad is middle row on the far right. If by chance anyone has any knowledge on the history of the Junior and reserve teams around this period myself and my family would be very grateful.

Anyone recognise any of the players apparently a few went on to play for the First Team.

COYS

mSfTL96.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
mSfTL96.jpg

This is Tottenham Juniors 1947-48 with their trophy haul, taken at White Hart Lane.
Thought I would share it as we are saying bye to the old girl on Sunday and have had many family memories there.

My Grandad is middle row on the far right. If by chance anyone has any knowledge on the history of the Junior and reserve teams around this period myself and my family would be very grateful.

Anyone recognise any of the players apparently a few went on to play for the First Team.

COYS

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR (Juniors)

Upton Park

2 - 3

6 April 1948

An appreciative attendance saw some keen football by our (WHU) Junior XI and their opponents – Tottenham Hotspur Juniors. The result was 2-3 in the visitors’ favour, but we saw enough of our young Hammers to give us hope of a bright future for them in our colours.

mSfTL96.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
mSfTL96.jpg
Thought I would share it as we are saying bye to the old girl on Sunday and have had many family memories there. My Grandad is middle row on the far right. If by chance anyone has any knowledge on the history of the Junior and reserve teams around this period myself and my family would be very grateful.

COYS
...and a young Ronald Koeman is sitting right next to him by the look of it!

Is Harry Robshaw one of them?
soccer-football-league-division-two-tottenham-hotspur-photocall-white-g4k2g6.jpg

Wiki:
Harry Robshaw Date of birth 10 May 1927 Place of birth Edmonton, Date of death 1990
Playing position Wing half Senior career* 1948–1953 Tottenham Hotspur 1 (0)

Playing career
Robshaw joined Tottenham Hotspur in November 1948 as a junior. The wing half played one senior match for the "Lilies" in a fixture against Liverpool on 1 December 1951.He signed for Reading in February 1953 and scored once in 20 matches. Robshaw went on to have a spell at Tonbridge.
...and this beaut is from a few years later in '51...
team_49_730.jpg

...and they say we have big squads nowadays!! It looks like half the Population of Tottenham were in that pic!

All this old school chat made me hark all the way back to 2014/15 that first Poch season pivot in the 4231 of Bentaleb and Mason, Poch really can get a tune out of anyone can't he, they looked great at times

256F9C9900000578-0-image-a-47_1423398731969.jpg

All this old school chat made me hark all the way back to 2014/15 that first Poch season pivot in the 4231 of Bentaleb and Mason, Poch really can get a tune out of anyone can't he, they looked great at times

256F9C9900000578-0-image-a-47_1423398731969.jpg
What a good illustration of how fast things move in football

I know it's not even 24 hours old... so wouldn't really qualify as 'retro'... but it has all the hallmarks of a classic... It could've been taken at any time during our 118 White Hart Lane History... So i'm putting it in!
C_0MykrXoAA-2QP.jpg

Bardi Bardi ...I hear this is yours? Take a bow son! (and as others have suggested) get it Copyrighted/written SOON! You could probably retire on this one!

Last edited:
I know it's not even 24 hours old... so wouldn't really qualify as 'retro'... but it has all the hallmarks of a classic... It could've been taken at any time during our 118 White Hart Lane History... So i'm putting it in!
C_0MykrXoAA-2QP.jpg

Bardi Bardi ...I hear this is yours? Take a bow son! (and as others have suggested, get it Copyrighted/written SOON! You could probably retire on this one!
That would make a blinding t shirt

C_0MykrXoAA-2QP.jpg

Bardi Bardi ...I hear this is yours? Take a bow son! (and as others have suggested, get it Copyrighted/written SOON! You could probably retire on this one!

Cheers. Copyrighted lol i think its out there now. Nothing i can do. Let people enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom