Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Im so jaded with all the reporting these days I just dont believe in the inevitability of NES coming in.

Im still waiting on the next "twist".

Nagelsmann was going to come in (we all know he'd go Bayern) then he went to Bayern.
Poch was going to return! Sensational move by Spurs! - Nothing happened
Spurs in talks with Conte! Conte set to take over! - Talks broke down
Fonseca has contract on the table! SPurs to announce new manager! - lol
Spurs in talks with GAttuso! New manager found! - sounds like a conversation at best
NES Spurs top target! Spurs to announce new manager! - Yawn...

I mean, in every case the substance of the 'reporting' simply hasnt matched reality.

It seems "talks" are taken to mean "imminent appointment", when we all know they can be anything from very close to a deal to a preliminary/exploratory conversation.

So I see all these headlines last night, and Im not even thinking "Oh, NES to be manager? How do I feel about that?", Im more thinking "As a bit of a thought exercise, what is it about NES that puts people off so much? I never had that much feeling about him..." - its totally abstract

Im more expecting today ANOTHER "XXX about to take over at Spurs!" headline than I am a "NES confirmed at Spurs" one.

I felt earlier in the week we might be keeping him on the back burner, a back up option should we fail on better candidates. And that being the case it would make sense there have been some conversations with him to facilitate a quick move if needed. And right now I feel no different, he's probably fall back option to better candidates.

Which means by the time Ive posted this his announcement tweet has been released....

I did not bother to write about many of the negatives but all in all, one cannot and should not ignore the positive impact Levy has had for Tottenham. Spurs were dwadling around mid-table season after season for decades - with an occasional challenge for the top spot(s). Levy did manage to get Spurs to be a top-4 club, play CL footy and even reach the CL final, have Spurs get one of the best stadiums and training complexes in the football world without bankrupting the club.
I am fully aware of many of his defects, like his wrangling during transfer deals, etc., etc. but he deserves a lot of credit for what he's done for Spurs.
However, as it stands right now, it looks as if it has unravelled for him. And on top of that, it looks as if his new DoF has a very different view on what direction the club should take footballing wise - even before the DoF is officially employed. So I think it's time for Levy and Lewis to hand over (well, sell) the club ... but that is much easier said than done..
Agree with most of that. Yes, to move forward we ned to sell the club, but there are few owners who buy clubs in order they can win trophies. Most are like ENIC, who invest purely to make money.

Where I disagree is Levy's positive points. OK we have a great stadium and training ground, but let's not forget, that was only funded by the club and outside investors. It also took him many years to do this. Finishing in a top four position means absolutely nothing to me. Football is about winning trophies, not coming runners up, third, or even fourth. On a few occasions under harry and Poch, we were on the cusp of great things, but Levy failed to invest a relatively small amount to get us there. When we did have a decent side he also failed to keep the momentum going, and allowed the players to get old and complacent. Finally, he wanted to take us to East London (and he did) and that I will never forgive him for

Jose won everything in football , but he didn’t last season . You’re only as good as your last season
For a newly promoted team they've done pretty well over all, last year injuries and a smaller squad than ours, they really have nothing much on the bench. I think with a larger and more decent squad (and ours is) he'd be ok. That doesn't mean I'm jumping with joy about Santo, but lets see.

I am a little bit behind what’s going on but will try to put straight what I “understand” about this whole process

Levy sack, instead of back, Pochettino a few months after he took Spurs to a CL final, because he “lost” the dressing room…

Levy employs Jose – who’s known to lose both the dressing room and the board room – because he’s a winner…

Levy fires Jose because Jose has lost the dressing room and board room when Jose actually exposes the lack of “winners” in the Spurs dressing room and board room

Levy thinks he can get Naglesmann after he sacks Jose, not knowing what is an already open secret: that Hansi Flick will be leaving Bayern, who then will hire Nagelsmann (his dream job)….

Levy then goes for Flick, ignoring the fact that Flick has had his mind set on the German job for months

Levy tells Hitchen to make a short-list

Levy starts courting Pochettino, only to be told that PSG are unwilling to let him go

Levy tries to sell Spurs to Conte, while he’s “secretly” courting Pochettino, only to be told by Conte that Spurs doesn’t match his ambitions as the players aren’t good enough and he wants his coaching-staff

Levy put feelers out for Rodgers, who then uses the press to tell Levy he doesn’t want the Spurs job

Levy tells Hitchen to make a new shortlist of manager

Levy contacts Ten Hag, but the time it takes Levy to decide it reaches a date whereby Ajax can trigger a contract extension, which makes it hard to get him and no still decision is taken regarding Ten Hag

Levy contacts Lopetegui who turns Spurs down, knowing he’s better off at Sevilla (not just because of the weather).

Levy aginst tries for Pochettino

Levy gets a call from Klinsmann but, fortunately, tells him he’s too busy then to talk about the vacant manager job

Levy put feelers out for Marcelo Bielsa, whose contract expires this summer, but again no positive response…

Levy agrees to a deal with Fonseca, hires Paratici as DoF, but just before the Fonseca deal is signed, Gauttuso become available, and Paratici convinces Levy to go against Hitchen and cancel Fonseca’s contract and go for Gattuso instead ….only for Levy to change his mind about Gattuso after backlash from the fans…Gattuso text Insigne, “Spurs is a bit of a mess”

Levy is then informed that his new DoF wants Nuno, but Levy does not support that choice either, thus turning down the 2 top candidates of his new DoF

Levy again "secretly" courts Pochettiono

A new list is drawn up of “secret” candidates

Levy start talking to candidates Paratici doesn’t want, like Potter, and, again, Ten Hag, Valverde and Rangnick

Levy is working down the various lists been drawn up – first by Hitchen and then by Paratici and also his own list – and's now rumoured to be arriving at Gerrard…

Levy looks at his almanack and realises that pre-season starts in less than 2 weeks...

Last edited:
Need to behave as supporters and get behind club. I think its a good appointment. Conte high maintenance and fonseca would have been crap imo. Potter not quite ready yet and seems too timid. End the saga and move forward.
Considering how Levy is a terrible chairman and how he fucks up almost every decision and makes teh worst possible choices, Nuno is better than Southgate or Martinez or Ryan the fraud mason or tim sherwood or god know what. Not a great choice but not the worst possible choice that we expect from a nobrain like levy.

I am a little bit behind what’s going on but will try to put straight what I “understand” about this whole process

Levy sack, instead of back, Pochettino a few months after he took Spurs to a CL final, because he “lost” the dressing room…

Levy employs Jose – who’s known to lose both the dressing room and the board room – because he’s a winner…

Levy fires Jose because Jose has lost the dressing room and board room when Jose actually exposes the lack of “winners” in the Spurs dressing room and board room

Levy thinks he can get Naglesmann after he sacks Jose, not knowing what is an already open secret: that Hansi Flick will be leaving Bayern, who then will hire Nagelsmann (his dream job)….

Levy then goes for Flick, ignoring the fact that Flick has had his mind set on the German job for months

Levy tells Hitchen to make a short-list

Levy starts courting Pochettino, only to be told that PSG are unwilling to let him go

Levy tries to sell Spurs to Conte, while he’s “secretly” courting Pochettino, only to be told by Conte that Spurs doesn’t match his ambitions as the players aren’t good enough and he wants his coaching-staff

Levy put feelers out for Rodgers, who then uses the press to tell Levy he doesn’t want the Spurs job

Levy tells Hitchen to make a new shortlist of manager

Levy contacts Ten Hag, but the time it takes Levy to decide it reaches a date whereby Ajax can trigger a contract extension, which makes it hard to get him and no still decision is taken regarding Ten Hag

Levy contacts Lopetegui who turns Spurs down, knowing he’s better off at Sevilla.

Levy aginst tries for Pochettino

Levy gets a call from Klinsmann but, fortunately, tells him he’s too busy then to talk about the vacant manager job

Levy put feelers out for Marcelo Bielsa, whose contract expires this summer, but again no positive response…

Levy agrees to a deal with Fonseca, hires Paratici as DoF, but just before the Fonseca deal is signed, Gauttuso become available, and Paratici convinces Levy to go against Hitchen and cancel Fonseca’s contract and go for Gattuso instead ….only for Levy to change his mind about Gattuso after backlash from the fans…Gattuso text Insigne, “Spurs is a bit of a mess”

Levy is then informed that his new DoF wants Nuno, but Levy does not support that choice either, thus turning down the 2 top candidates of his new DoF

Levy again "secretly" courts Pochettiono

A new list is drawn up of “secret” candidates

Levy start talking to candidates Paratici doesn’t want, like Potter, and, again, Ten Hag, Valverde and Rangnick

Levy is working down the various lists been drawn up – first by Hitchen and then by Paratici and also his own list – and's now rumoured to be arriving at Gerrard…

Levy looks at his almanack and realises that pre-season starts in less than 2 weeks...
:levylol:

I've been pretty level-headed throughout the search for a new manager, believing the club had targets and a strategy they were keeping secret, and the press were making up rumours to fill the void.

If we end up with NES, who was available very early on in the process, that will show we've been all over the place. I don't have a great feeling right now, in the past i've had faith there's been a strategy... it's wearing a bit thin now.

I'm starting to wonder about the long-term damage to our already tarnished reputation, It's clear we're hated by the press so some of this fall at their feet but I wonder how much we are fuelling ourselves?

The only way out of this for me is to employ an international manager, it would justify our lack of progress. Problem with that is the two mostly likely candidates scare the hell out of me.

the employment of NES itself isn't necessarily the problem, it's the fact he's been available since the start... we've dicked around with tons of others that coming back to him reeks of desperation. That for me is the biggest issue and will justify lots in the press about how bad we are.

Throw enough shit... some is bound to stick

Wolves being promoted in PL is partly due to the money they spent. I mean mendes got them to shell out almost £40m on an 18 yr old who’d hardly paid. Is that the shit we are going to have? What is Nunos record pre wolves, does he bring through youngster from within the club, does he scout players, cheque book manager, etc?

For a newly promoted team they've done pretty well over all, last year injuries and a smaller squad than ours, they really have nothing much on the bench. I think with a larger and more decent squad (and ours is) he'd be ok. That doesn't mean I'm jumping with joy about Santo, but lets see.
I mean I don’t dislike the bloke , but a big concern Is the Mendes connection. I can see this all ending very messily

Considering how Levy is a terrible chairman and how he fucks up almost every decision and makes teh worst possible choices, Nuno is better than Southgate or Martinez or Ryan the fraud mason or tim sherwood or god know what. Not a great choice but not the worst possible choice that we expect from a nobrain like levy.
Why is Ryan Mason referred to as a fraud?

Back
Top Bottom