Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
If we really get fucking Nuno I quit. Either get a quality manager like Conte or a "young" hungry one like Potter or ETH. Hell I would even prefer keeping Mason to getting Nuno.

I think the symbology of rummaging through the freebie bin scrapping with the likes of Crystal Palace for his services won't be helping.

Fortunately though they have moved on and got a decent manager so we now have a free run at him, seeing as Everton turned their noses up at him too.

Palace haven't got a new gaffa yet.

You may be right there but in the CL with Porto he was rather "pragmatic" and from the time he managed Chelski he was already player defensive - but with deadly efficient on the counter-attack, with players like Robben, Drogba, and Lampard, plus a very solid defensive unit.
The football being played everywhere else was different in those days.

Fergie’s United and Wenger’s Woolwich threw men forward in a devil-may-care fashion, they wanted to carry the ball into your half and attack the goal.

Jose was (and still is) a master of stymying teams that do that, and look to quickly and vertically counter disorganized, outmanned opponents when opportunities arise.

Pep’s tiki taka and Klopp’s gegenpressing, in different ways, render Jose’s tactics far less effective by either punishing their willingness to concede the ball, or their aggression upon regaining posession.

Both turn the swashbucking counterattacking of his Porto into the cowardly timidity of his Spurs. The game evolves.

Fergie’s United and Wenger’s Woolwich threw men forward in a devil-may-care fashion, they wanted to carry the ball into your half and attack the goal.

Jose was (and still is) a master of stymying teams that do that, and look to quickly and vertically counter disorganized, outmanned opponents when opportunities arise.

Pep’s tiki taka and Klopp’s gegenpressing, in different ways, render Jose’s tactics far less effective by either punishing their willingness to concede the ball, or their aggression upon regaining posession.

Both turn the swashbucking counterattacking of his Porto into the cowardly timidity of his Spurs. The game evolves.
The next tactical genius, I’m guessing, will be the one who finds a way to consistently punish teams for pressing them high up the pitch, probably with tactics that strike people as unsophisticated.

How? Fuck me, I dunno, seems pretty hard to do.

Palace haven't got a new gaffa yet.
Favre seems pretty wrapped up, I'm no expert but he seems to play a more pleasing on the eyes style.

Maybe they're going to adopt our tactic of flashing a bit of thigh at him, teasing him with some wage negotiations and then getting distracted and chasing down the high street after another 6/10, but that'd be pretty unprofessional of them...

Your talking about the bloke who wanted us to play football in east London, what do
I did not bother to write about many of the negatives but all in all, one cannot and should not ignore the positive impact Levy has had for Tottenham. Spurs were dwadling around mid-table season after season for decades - with an occasional challenge for the top spot(s). Levy did manage to get Spurs to be a top-4 club, play CL footy and even reach the CL final, have Spurs get one of the best stadiums and training complexes in the football world without bankrupting the club.
I am fully aware of many of his defects, like his wrangling during transfer deals, etc., etc. but he deserves a lot of credit for what he's done for Spurs.
However, as it stands right now, it looks as if it has unravelled for him. And on top of that, it looks as if his new DoF has a very different view on what direction the club should take footballing wise - even before the DoF is officially employed. So I think it's time for Levy and Lewis to hand over (well, sell) the club ... but that is much easier said than done..

Favre seems pretty wrapped up, I'm no expert but he seems to play a more pleasing on the eyes style.

Maybe they're going to adopt our tactic of flashing a bit of thigh at him, teasing him with some wage negotiations and then getting distracted and chasing down the high street after another 6/10, but that'd be pretty unprofessional of them...

Baggies got one, Ismael. I would have liked him. Attacking football, risky decision, but cheap. But there would be even more melting on here (rightly so).

Italy have already qualified for the 2022 World Cup.

What's to stop Mancini taking the Spurs job and remaining as Italy's manager for the World Cup?

True that.
But, when he arrived at Chelski, in 2004, he had a very strong, solid defensive foundation in Cech in goal, Terry, William Gallas, and Ricardo Carvalho as CBs, and Makelele as DMF. And the rest of the team also worked hard defending.
At Spurs he did not have a single top defensive player; apart from Højbjerg in MF. He wanted Skriniar in but, we all know how Levy "managed" that deal.

Back
Top Bottom