Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
Although pep did tell his team he was leaving at the end of the season. Just a few months in to that season. Maybe that is the right thing to do & good for team morale but I am not convinced. I know this was meant to have a negative impact on the team & the fans were unhappy too.
Playing over half a season under a manager you know is leaving hmmm.

On 20 December, Bayern confirmed that Guardiola was leaving the club after his contract expires at the end of the season, with Carlo Ancelotti his replacement for the 2016–17 season.
I definitely think that Pep had the better approach. You put all the cards on the table before the season starts. Leaves little to no room for doubt or suspicion. The players knew that he was leaving at the end of it so it became more about sending him out on a high than "will Pep be here by the start of next season".

Nagelsmann did the same thing last season. Announced at the start of the season that he would leave at the end of his contract to manage Leipzig, but that he was staying on to guide Hoffenheim through their first season in the CL. And they went on to have a great season in the Bundesliga by their standard.

I definitely think that Pep had the better approach. You put all the cards on the table before the season starts. Leaves little to no room for doubt or suspicion. The players knew that he was leaving at the end of it so it became more about sending him out on a high than "will Pep be here by the start of next season".

Nagelsmann did the same thing last season. Announced at the start of the season that he would leave at the end of his contract to manage Leipzig, but that he was staying on to guide Hoffenheim through their first season in the CL. And they went on to have a great season in the Bundesliga by their standard.
Maybe. But I have a feeling if poch had done that people would have criticised.

32 mill to sack Poch?

No thanks:levyeyes:

Looks like we are stuck with him and his lemons(in his office and on the pitch)
I hope Poch stays and sorts the bad spell of results since Jan 2019.

As for the £32m, divorce is not cheap.
But I believe the club doesn't have to pay if someone like manu or rm employs him and pay compensation.

So you think pep did the right thing? & it has a positive impact knowing your manager is leaving at the end of season when you are only a few months in to a new season.

That's a completely separate point and situation, that's not the issue Tottenham have or had with Poch. Poch shouldn't have been joking about leaving if he got little old Tottenham to win the CL final because it would be such a miracle.

If you are actually leaving, for personal reasons, for a break, for whatever, it's a more formal/factual thing. Dependent on how it's handled it could go well or not go well, dependent on how the players feel about the manager.

But I commented originally on Poch said he'd do, which has nothing to do with what Pep said when he was actually officially leaving his club.

I'm not sure how some continue to compare Poch to the likes of Pep, Klopp, Mourinho,

Those three are all proven winners.

Mourinho won more trophies during his tumultuous 2+ years at United than we have ever won with Poch. United fans consider those bad years. We'd be thrilled with those results.

Poch has never been a winner. And if the manager isn't a winner, you can't expect to have a winning side.

I hope Poch stays and sorts the bad spell of results since Jan 2019.

As for the £32m, divorce is not cheap.
But I believe the club doesn't have to pay if someone like manu or rm employs him and pay compensation.

yes I believe the same. If he is removed and picks up is pay cheque he can't be employed by someone else until his last pay cheque has been paid. This is when a compromise agreement would be reached and he would leave by mutual consent, probably with something like a 10-15m windfall and the free reign to take another job when he is ready. There will obviously be hard negotiations from both sides... neither will end up feeling they have a particularly good deal.

I think the relationship between Levy and Poch is strong and one of mutual respect so his tenure will last longer than others in the past. Big game at the weekend against Brighton... seems that every game now is a 'big one'

I'm not sure how some continue to compare Poch to the likes of Pep, Klopp, Mourinho,

Mourinho won more trophies during his tumultuous 2+ years at United than we have ever won with Poch. United fans consider those bad years. We'd be thrilled with those results.

Poch has never been a winner. And if the manager isn't a winner, you can't expect to have a winning side.
Those 3 had to win for the first time at some point. So up until they won something they weren't winners?but agree Poch hasn't done that with us and not sure he will. he's had chances but hasn't been near closing the deal.

To be fair, Poch wasn't a winner when he came to us as he had been at Espanyol and then Southampton, he was hardly going to win a lot with those shithouses. However, Benitez won things at Valencia (similar size club in their league) and Mourinho won the Champions League and Europe with Porto (an underdog in those competitions) and so you'd think if Poch was up to it, he would have won something with us over five years. But hasn't.

Dont think you understood.

Against Chelsea and Leciester we couldnt beat them . In Redknapps last season, he fucked up so bad, we didnt just lose the title race, we didnt even make it in the CL the next season. Had to be sacked for such a monumental fuck up.

If anything in 16-17 we had more points in a season than ever in the history of the club.
What do you mean we couldn't beat them? We could have had we not "shit it"?

We didnt make the Champions League because Chelsea won the CL, we finished 4th same as we did the season under Poch when we "shit it" in the champions league group stage.... And then the knockout of the EL against fucking Gent.

To be fair, Poch wasn't a winner when he came to us as he had been at Espanyol and then Southampton, he was hardly going to win a lot with those shithouses. However, Benitez won things at Valencia (similar size club in their league) and Mourinho won the Champions League and Europe with Porto (an underdog in those competitions) and so you'd think if Poch was up to it, he would have won something with us over five years. But hasn't.

One could argue Poch is doing exactly what he did at Southampton and Espanyol but just at a higher level. Poch was lauded for bringing Southampton into top 6-8 conversation.

Now many would say we beat expectations reaching top four as early as we did. And that's basically where we've topped out.

I really don't think you can say Poch has grown as a manger since his Southampton days. Still tactically weak. Still no plan B.

One could argue Poch is doing exactly what he did at Southampton and Espanyol but just at a higher level. Poch was lauded for bringing Southampton into top 6-8 conversation.

Now many would say we beat expectations reaching top four as early as we did. And that's basically where we've topped out.

I really don't think you can say Poch has grown as a manger since his Southampton days. Still tactically weak. Still no plan B.

He's a very good manager and has done some amazing things for us. He will win things in his career. He should've won something with us but didn't and he's not managing the current situation well as he doesn't want to be here anymore, it's gone stale. That's how I see it overall!

Maybe. But I have a feeling if poch had done that people would have criticised.
There will always be critics when you have a high profile job that is out in public. Poch gets critique for everything that he does no matter what. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

But I definitely do believe that more often than not it is better to use the strategy/move that leaves as little room as possible for speculation.

Back
Top Bottom