Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
I assume the Poch out brigade are pining for the glory days of Tim and AVB?

Let’s not forget the fact that we are bitching about a situation where we are now a permanent fixture in the Champions League, better than both our London rivals for the first time in the Prem League, and coming off a Champions League final - that in itself shows that Poch is exceeding expectations.

That’s not to say the manager is above criticism- but to call for his head after he has taken the pile of sh!t he inherited and turned us into a top team is laughable.

What are we basing Premier League era success on? The one Champions league run under Redknap which we have already bettered? The magnificent AVB era? Tim’s gillet-throwing?

Too many deluded, spoiled fans with stupid expectations and short term memories. Get rid of Poch and we can’t offer the financial incentives to get the very few world managers that are better than him - we will have to downgrade and slip back into obscurity. Let’s go back to the days of Clint Dempsey, getting destroyed by 5 goals in the big games, St Totteringhams day, and playing Fc Nobody every Thursday night.

Agreed. Plenty of reasons for our poor form (which really ran through most of last season, apart from a spell in December). Injuries, the stadium move, the focus on our CL run, contract issues. It happens, and when it does we need to weather the storm.

Pochettino has worked wonders at the club. He’s not beyond criticism by any stretch, but he should certainly get the benefit of the doubt. He was backed pretty well in the summer transfer window, and those players need time to adapt/get fit.

My only concern is the possibility that Pochettino himself is wanting out, which wouldn’t help team stability. If he’s committed, great. Keep him and support him. If he’s thinking of jumping ship then we need to look for a new manager, but god knows who that would be.

Wrong time. Best Managers not available and run risk like before in getting caretaker Manager who is no better. This is a subject for the end of the season depending on results.

Wrong time. Best Managers not available and run risk like before in getting caretaker Manager who is no better. This is a subject for the end of the season depending on results.
We're in a malaise right now. And I think a caretaker manager can improve things. Look at Tactics Tim - not a good manager, not a long-term solution at all, but did instantly improve results and got us into form that would've resulted in Top 4 had he been brought in earlier.

We're in a malaise right now. And I think a caretaker manager can improve things. Look at Tactics Tim - not a good manager, not a long-term solution at all, but did instantly improve results and got us into form that would've resulted in Top 4 had he been brought in earlier.

Did he?

22 games under Sherwood:
W: 13
D: 3
L: 6

Previous 22 games under AVB:
W: 12
D: 5
L: 5

It was hardly any better - and getting rid of Poch to bring in some random caretaker manager would be one of the worst decisions this clubs made in modern memory.

I can't believe people are even contemplating the idea of getting rid off Poch. He has managed to take us to the next level as a club on a shoestring of a budget and very little investment from Levy (untill this season). Hes not perfect and of course he can be criticised but without him where would we be? Many managers would have walked after Levy sanctioned no transfers. He also showed great loyalty by rebuffing Man U and Real Madrid. Both bigger clubs who could pay him a ton more. The reality is if we get a good result against the scum the same people that will be giving him shit will be saying he's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm surprised at the logical fallacy stick on repeat here: we were shit before Poch, therefore we will be shit after Poch.

Here's the thing though, we WEREN'T shit before Poch. Intermittently we sucked, sure, but all told we punched moderately above our weight in the decade before Poch.

With Poch we've punched WAY WAY above our weight. That has helped our "weight" increase of course, but not by enough to expect to be Top 4 regulars going forward.

Crikey, that escalated quickly! Had we not made the champions league final; I'm sure this discussion would have been had at the tail end of last season.

Its a shame, against Juventus in pre season we seemed full of energy and looked like we could beat any team in the world. Season starts and the team seem void of ideas.

Its important now to get Ndombele and Lo Celso up to speed and starting ASAP. However, our problems seem to be out wide with out inability to provide service from the wings. Selling Trips and (dare I say) GKN really means we have no options whatsoever. Son, Lamela, Alli, Kane and Moura all want to play centrally and Sissoko on the wing is borderline comical.
This has been a glaring problem for the last 3 or 4 seasons - we have no natural width in our midfield, everyone wants to play through the middle. Opportunities are created when balls are whipped into the box and defenders panic, they hate turning and heading towards goal.

Does seem a bit kneejerk after one loss this season.

Let's see where we are at when we've got our best settled team. We were without Vertonghen, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Eriksen and Dele starting yesterday. All could have a case for starting in our strongest line-up. Should we be beating Newcastle regardless? Yes. Sadly we didn't and if we cannot grow from a defeat like that and continue to learn, then we ask even more questions.

Whilst there were minor similarities between the Villa and Newcastle games - we would have learnt alot more from the Newcastle one than we did the Villa one.

We played Newcastle mate not Liverpool.

Play like this on Sunday and we will get mullard.

By the way forget the CL fluke and look at the last third of the seasons PL results.

Therein lies the truth.

By the way forget the CL fluke and look at the last third of the seasons PL results.

Therein lies the truth.

And?

We played City last weekend and got a point.

Shit happens.

I'm surprised at the logical fallacy stick on repeat here: we were shit before Poch, therefore we will be shit after Poch.

And calling for a managers head who has made us champions league regulars and finalists is not fallacious reasoning and utterly stupid?

The fact remains we can only judge Poch by the past managers, not some utopian vision of the future - and no-one has come even close to getting us this far.

And lmao at someone suggesting we need a Sherwood-like replacement at the helm - the delusion runs deep in some.

Therein lies the truth.

Getting to the CL final was a fluke? That’s some crazy 6-month long fluke.

By that logic Pool winning the CL was a fluke as well - everyone’s sh!t and any improvement is down to luck.

Yup shit does happens.

Like in eleven of our last fifteen games, for over a third of our season.

But then again why let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

giphy.gif

I don’t want Poch out personally. His tenure has been truly the best period of my life, Spurs wise.

His impact on the club and the development on the team will leave a permanent mark on the clubs history forever.

I’m worried that we’ve reached a stagnation point - the same group of players, the same manager, the same ideas and footballing philosophies. In any professional environment, humans always crave new challenges. Too much of the same is never good and from a footballing perspective, the squad has been quite stagnant over several years. Maybe Poch is frustrated because he wants a new challenge, and that has now imbibed onto the players, and that’s what we see tactically.

I don’t blame Poch because I’ve felt the same way myself, and it’s naturally what happens to anyone with ambition. Perhaps things would be different if Poch had a stronger hand and more active transfer dealings over the years, such that the squad evolving itself morphed into a new challenge and gave Poch the cards to take us to another level.

For now, if this situation continues, we seriously need to think about our next manager.

Therein lies the truth.
Can't disagree with what your saying Newcastle should of been dispatched but the same old problems are still there and yes a gooner thrashing is on the cards if we don't sort our shit out (which I doubt).
The run to the CL final masked a bigger problem which was the high number of defeats we was suffering which was worthy of a team in mid table, but when along with a few others mentioned that the form was not good enough, the sisters that run everything around here tried to inform me and others that how dare we bring it up and that 18/19 defeats was perfectly acceptable for a team competing in the to four and CL.
Obviously this form is continuing and it may get worse before we see an improvement but clearly tactics, playing style or lack of it along with formations that don't work and stubborness over substitutions has helped get the team into the mess it's in.

Back
Top Bottom