Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
I like Balague but he's talking complete and utter nonsense in this article:

"In his first years the system used most often was 3-4-3 or a 4-4-2 with offensive full-backs and mobile forwards, but it suddenly became clear to Pochettino and his team last season that their squad possessed an abundance of defensive players and so they began to play five at the back. That stops that pressure high up the pitch as the number of players up front is reduced".

WHAT THE FUCK is he on about!?!

"In his first years the system used most often was 3-4-3 or a 4-4-2 with offensive full-backs and mobile forwards, but it suddenly became clear to Pochettino and his team last season that their squad possessed an abundance of defensive players and so they began to play five at the back. That stops that pressure high up the pitch as the number of players up front is reduced".

I did raise an eyebrow at that, however the thing that most piqued my interest was the part where he says that Real Madrid had approached Levy regarding Pochettino's availability, and Poch said no thanks.

I know there have been rumours and insinuations, but this is the most direct quote I've ever seen. It comes from a journalist who has over recent years had very close access to the man himself. Not that it's particularly relevant today I suppose, but it at least shows how committed he was at that time.

I did raise an eyebrow at that, however the thing that most piqued my interest was the part where he says that Real Madrid had approached Levy regarding Pochettino's availability, and Poch said no thanks.

I know there have been rumours and insinuations, but this is the most direct quote I've ever seen. It comes from a journalist who has over recent years had very close access to the man himself. Not that it's particularly relevant today I suppose, but it at least shows how committed he was at that time.
I follow Balague on YouTube, he has a knack of talking with such authority without actually saying anything. He's also got numerous other things incorrect when talking in what he sees is his area of expertise, Spanish football (for the UK market that's usually about individuals players and/or managers moving).

In the past 2yrs or so, he's directly claimed that Poch will leave and will NOT leave.

The fact he wrote Poch's autobiography though means he has a relationship of sorts, but I've no idea what that means now the book's finished. Are they mates? Why is his info inaccurate? I still follow him as I think he's a useful and maybe still have some insight, although I do think a pich of salt is required.

Last edited:
Thought that after about 4hrs into that 10,587,000 word article when I realised he knows fuck all
There are paragraphs where you start to nod your head, then latter on theres others where I was shaking it.

I do agree with the conclusions though.

But that said I think we are so unique given where we've come (by that I specifically mean competing with far, far wealthier competition) both on and off-field, I can't rage at the things that we haven't or couldn't do that might have created what we are suffering from now.

I think Poch himself came out and said last summer that in 2018 Real Madrid approached him but he felt he couldn't accept the job as he had just signed his new deal.

I follow Balague on YouTube, he has a knack of talking with such authority without actually saying anything. He's also got numerous other things incorrect when talking in what he sees is his area of expertise, Spanish football (for the UK market that's usually about individuals players and/or managers moving).

In the past 2yrs or so, he's directly claimed that Poch will leave and will NOT leave.

The fact he wrote Poch's autobiography though means he has a relationship of sorts, but I've no idea what that means now the book's finished. Are they mates? Why is his info inaccurate? I still follow him as I think he's a useful and maybe still have some insight, although I do think a pich of salt is required.

It means he's not likely to ever mention Poch's part in this fucking malaise, his stupid tactics and selections whilst there's still a chance of ghost writing Poch 2 - How I Relegated Real Madrid, doesn't it.

It means he's not likely to ever mention Poch's part in this fucking malaise, his stupid tactics and selections whilst there's still a chance of ghost writing Poch 2 - How I Relegated Real Madrid, doesn't it.
Meh....I agreed with his conclusions which basically pointed fingers to all and everything, which I think is accurate (as they all impact on everything). Just can't see how he arrived at these conclusions given the route the article took to get there.

The loss of Dier, Wanyama and Dembele has killed us. Those guys could win the ball back and take it forward to our attackers. Now we are stuck with Sissoko and Winks chasing players all around the pitch with little ability to do anything clever with it when they do win it. A fit again Dier and Ndombele should be the solution to this problem.

Consistently over the last few seasons Eriksen and Alli have been the key contributors to the majority of our goals.

Moura has contributed 2 EPL assists in his time with us - 2 (0 last season). Whilst he is good a finishing; he cannot pass for toffee. In the same period Eriksen has 23 assists, and Alli 13. Losing Alli to injury and the drop of form in Eriksen means we have nobody to pass the ball to Son/Moura/Kane.

A fit again Alli and Lo Celso should be the solution to this. Persisting with Lamela is not.

The loss of Dier, Wanyama and Dembele has killed us. Those guys could win the ball back and take it forward to our attackers. Now we are stuck with Sissoko and Winks chasing players all around the pitch with little ability to do anything clever with it when they do win it. A fit again Dier and Ndombele should be the solution to this problem.

Consistently over the last few seasons Eriksen and Alli have been the key contributors to the majority of our goals.

Moura has contributed 2 EPL assists in his time with us - 2 (0 last season). Whilst he is good a finishing; he cannot pass for toffee. In the same period Eriksen has 23 assists, and Alli 13. Losing Alli to injury and the drop of form in Eriksen means we have nobody to pass the ball to Son/Moura/Kane.

A fit again Alli and Lo Celso should be the solution to this. Persisting with Lamela is not.

Dembele never did anything clever with the ball and neither did Dier. Dier wasn’t even good defensively as a CM, too cumbersome.

Lumping Winks in with Sissoko is a bit harsh, at least Winks is reasonably metronomic, actively looks to get on the ball and keeps it moving, Sissoko just treats the fucking ball like it’s a grenade.

Dembele never did anything clever with the ball

:dembelewtf:
Did you ever watch him play? He could take 2 touches, spin and leave 2 opposition players in his wake. This would draw players away from marking Alli and Eriksen and open up all that space for our attack. Take a look at some of our goals from a couple of seasons ago and see how the move materialised and how the space was created.

Sissoko meanwhile you don't even need to bother trying to tackle as he was likely pass it to the other team anyway.

Meh....I agreed with his conclusions which basically pointed fingers to all and everything, which I think is accurate (as they all impact on everything). Just can't see how he arrived at these conclusions given the route the article took to get there.

On the one hand you have Mauricio Pochettino, a coach who wants to make his team as good as it can be and to continue winning. On the other you have Daniel Levy, the chairman and a man who analyses the football world inhabited by the top clubs in a different way.

Pretty clear which side of the "everything" Ballague is on here...

No mention of a coach who's tactics, in game management and player selections isn't always making the team "as good as it can be".

On the one hand you have Mauricio Pochettino, a coach who wants to make his team as good as it can be and to continue winning. On the other you have Daniel Levy, the chairman and a man who analyses the football world inhabited by the top clubs in a different way.

Pretty clear which side of the "everything" Ballague is on here...

No mention of a coach who's tactics, in game management and player selections isn't always making the team "as good as it can be".
He did reserve a sentence for should have done better.
But I still personally solely struggle with tactics and management, when a lot of the issues he tried to highlight address for 2 seasons now.

Same with off-field stuff that influences too.

everyone trying to point the finger and pin something on someone when all are culprits. It’s like forgetting the very thing we’ve al enjoyed, not just the team but the whole club is greater than the sum of its parts. Powerful when all are functioning but when fractured things can get exposed.

It’s not down to tactics that Rose hasn’t yet fucked off for example.

Back
Top Bottom