Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
Where is that? In the top 4?
Making realistic challenges for the titles (UK and European) and domestic trophies and not just settling for 3rd or 4th spot in order to ensure another CL season. Recognised as a major European power and feared by other Premier League teams. Admired and not ridiculed by rival fans and managed by somebody who also shares those views and aims.
We cannot live on one CL final appearance for the next five seasons and neither should Poch's reputation as being one of the best managers out there rely on that single chance we had for it's survival.
So many on here seem scared that we could not entice someone who would improve on the situation, yes it's a leap of faith but in my view it's one that needs taking, and soon. Fear should not be the driving force to retain a manager when the squad is clearly sliding downhill.
I just cannot see Levy financially backing him because I honestly don't think he now regards Poch as the man to take the club further. Either that or Levy will show his true colours of having no genuine ambitions for Spurs and allow us to languish just short of success but also perhaps risking an implosion that would send the team below top six. If that is the case then Poch will stay and my dreams of seeing a trophy will fade into the mists of time.

Making realistic challenges for the titles (UK and European) and domestic trophies and not just settling for 3rd or 4th spot in order to ensure another CL season. Recognised as a major European power and feared by other Premier League teams. Admired and not ridiculed by rival fans and managed by somebody who also shares those views and aims.
We cannot live on one CL final appearance for the next five seasons and neither should Poch's reputation as being one of the best managers out there rely on that single chance we had for it's survival.
So many on here seem scared that we could not entice someone who would improve on the situation, yes it's a leap of faith but in my view it's one that needs taking, and soon. Fear should not be the driving force to retain a manager when the squad is clearly sliding downhill.
I just cannot see Levy financially backing him because I honestly don't think he now regards Poch as the man to take the club further. Either that or Levy will show his true colours of having no genuine ambitions for Spurs and allow us to languish just short of success but also perhaps risking an implosion that would send the team below top six. If that is the case then Poch will stay and my dreams of seeing a trophy will fade into the mists of time.
What you want to see isn't very realistic really. The only way is if ENIC sells up which is always possible but I think they would scare off a lot of buyers.

What you want to see isn't very realistic really. The only way is if ENIC sells up which is always possible but I think they would scare off a lot of buyers.
Dare To Dream. If harsh reality is watching the kind of performances we are seeing now for another five years whilst Poch asks for more money and more time then please allow me to imagine differently so I have something to look forward to in my old age. To imagine that magnificent stadium being a mausoleum filled with nothing but the abject silence of disappointed fans watching dire team performances, with members on here still saying "I think he deserves another season" just fills my heart with dread. Sigh.
There is nothing wrong with realising your limitations, but as a football club let those limits be the ones set by the dreams and ambitions of the owners, not just one particular manager.

For me the question comes down to this. After everything we've achieved in the last 5 years, have we earned a spot at the top table? Are we a big club now? Or are we still plucky little Tottenham who have no business being in a CL final and should be happy just to be hovering around Woolwich.

If it's the former then changing the manager in these circumstances is perfectly logical and acceptable, you could not lose the way we lost the last 2 games, after 9 months of horrible form and a CL final defeat, and expect to survive. A pink slip would have been delivered in the tunnel after the final whistle at Brighton. Big clubs cannot accept prolonged periods of bad results and performances combined with constant obnoxious media statements from the manager.

If you see us as just "lads, it's Tottenham" then I understand why you'd be hesitant to sack Poch, he's achieved his mission of taking us into the top 4 while the stadium was being built and exceeded his mission objective by reaching the CL final. You might think that this is as good as it could ever get for us in this world of blood money clubs, in which case keeping the guy who brought us this far seems like the best way to guarantee we stay at this level.

Personally I feel that, prior to this season, we had shown the world that we were a top team and that we belonged with the big boys. I won't accept keeping Poch if it means a continuation of this form until January when we can have a clear-out. The players we have are better than what they are showing and the manager needs to find a way to get results NOW. If he can't do that then it's time to go. Massive credit to Poch for taking us up the football ladder in the last 5 years but as good a job as he has done, this is still Tottenham Hotspur and not Pochettino FC. What matters is that Tottenham win games, not that we indulge the manager. Managers come and go.

The first thing Poch has always said when we lose games or don't win finals is that people don't "understand our project" that you cannot "compare Tottenham with another club". I.e. we should be thankful that we are where we are and not get too excited. Well that might have passed muster in 14/15 but we are in the 19/20 season now and just played a CL final. That phase of the project is over, he got us where we needed to go. The next phase involves winning enough games to challenge Liverpool, not losing almost every away game for an entire year.

In this case it's becoming obvious that the sooner he leaves, the better for the club. He knows the players no longer want him, so he's only waiting to get the sack because he doesn't want to lose all that money. I don't blame him for this, no one else would probably be crazy enough to resign.

It's now down to Levy to take a hit and just sack him. All things considered, he should have done it already. The fact that he may not want to pay the amount that is needed might cost us yet again.
If the information on that podcast is to be believed (and seems pretty reliable information but who knows...) then, as they say, it seems we are in the bizarre situation where both Levy and Poch himself want him to go, but we're waiting for Man Utd to sack Solskjaer, who will then appoint Poch and then we are freed from having to pay off his contract. Then we'll appoint someone else. But at the moment we remain in this strange stalemate condition which will no doubt create an awful atmosphere at the club.

As a psychotherapist by profession, I truly believe Poch, his coaches and the players needed a top quality group therapist to come in and sort out the issues after the CL final defeat. It's too late now by the sounds of it. I'd love Poch to turn it all around, but I'd say the chances of him being our manager at the start of next season is around 3%.

For me the question comes down to this. After everything we've achieved in the last 5 years, have we earned a spot at the top table? Are we a big club now? Or are we still plucky little Tottenham who have no business being in a CL final and should be happy just to be hovering around Woolwich.

If it's the former then changing the manager in these circumstances is perfectly logical and acceptable, you could not lose the way we lost the last 2 games, after 9 months of horrible form and a CL final defeat, and expect to survive. A pink slip would have been delivered in the tunnel after the final whistle at Brighton. Big clubs cannot accept prolonged periods of bad results and performances combined with constant obnoxious media statements from the manager.

If you see us as just "lads, it's Tottenham" then I understand why you'd be hesitant to sack Poch, he's achieved his mission of taking us into the top 4 while the stadium was being built and exceeded his mission objective by reaching the CL final. You might think that this is as good as it could ever get for us in this world of blood money clubs, in which case keeping the guy who brought us this far seems like the best way to guarantee we stay at this level.

Personally I feel that, prior to this season, we had shown the world that we were a top team and that we belonged with the big boys. I won't accept keeping Poch if it means a continuation of this form until January when we can have a clear-out. The players we have are better than what they are showing and the manager needs to find a way to get results NOW. If he can't do that then it's time to go. Massive credit to Poch for taking us up the football ladder in the last 5 years but as good a job as he has done, this is still Tottenham Hotspur and not Pochettino FC. What matters is that Tottenham win games, not that we indulge the manager. Managers come and go.

The first thing Poch has always said when we lose games or don't win finals is that people don't "understand our project" that you cannot "compare Tottenham with another club". I.e. we should be thankful that we are where we are and not get too excited. Well that might have passed muster in 14/15 but we are in the 19/20 season now and just played a CL final. That phase of the project is over, he got us where we needed to go. The next phase involves winning enough games to challenge Liverpool, not losing almost every away game for an entire year.
Great post Pilot. However, we might also question what Levy and ENIC want us to be. If they are satisfied with making money with no trophies, how do we take that next step?

Absolute top top drawer post.

Not just top drawer. Top top drawer

This sums up my thoughts of the situation. Football is too 'short term' to stick in the moment. We got ourselves in the top 2 teams in the prem and we got ourselves to the CL final. Weather we planned to be there now is another story. We might be ahead of schedule but it doesn't matter. We got ourselves in a position to challenge for big honours. Now we are here, we have to capitalise on it now! Football doesn't wait. If we don't push on then we will miss our chance.

Poch has taken us so far. It has been an amazing ride. But last season we got ourselves in a position to have the right to say we are a big team. If we stay how we have been this season then our status and chance of moving forward will vanish before you can blink.

Poch has never got it right when it has counted. We always fall short when it matters.

5 years and no trophy is a real shame. But the way we have lost in the big moments is what is more worrying. Utd semi final, Chelsea final, CL final. We always came up short and I feel it was due to Poch.

I'm 33 years old next month. I went through the 90's and early 00's. They were not great times. But I am not prepared to look back on that time and use that as an excuse and accept second best. We need to seize the moment. The moment we have created. The moment poch and the squad have worked so hard to create.

We have put the club in a position to win trophies. If anyone is going to stand in our way of achieving this then get them out the way.

History at this time doesn't matter. Being shit for so many years or being great many years ago, it doesn't matter. What does matter is the now. The club has put themselves in the bracket of a major European club. We need to do what is necessary to continue this status. With or without poch. With or without Eriksson, Jan, Toby etc.

So it answer the thread question. Poch out... Let's continue our mission of being the best team in England and europe.

COYS

The only true measure of his abilities as a manager will be when he leaves Spurs and goes to a club that demands success, and by that I mean trophies and titles. At the moment, with Spurs, his talents are shrouded in a misty aura of 'what if's' , 'it's Levy's fault not Poch's' and 'we should be grateful for what he has achieved'.
If he goes to a huge European club that backs him 100% financially and buys whoever he asks for then we shall see if he can make it in the intense heat of pressure which exists at the very,very top level of club football in Europe.
I am not saying he won't be successful, simply stating that his next club will be one of the major defining moments of his managerial career.
Too true. Good post.

I suppose the biggest benefit of Poch staying will be that all of you indignant ITK football experts will all self combust and never be seen again.

In my dreams

Me - I'll just go on supporting my favourite club and enjoy the good stuff and groan at the bad stuff, and not let any of it kill my passion for the club.
Let's hope that the best way forward, whatever that is, is discovered pretty feckin quickly.

Some of this anger and negativity is pretty soul destroying though, and has turned this place into somewhere to avoid
You talk of ageing, declining footballers that nobody would want to inherit as if Poch had no direct involvement in that situation developing. Is that the secret to longevity as a club manager now ?. Create and allow a squad to disintegrate to such a level that nobody else would want it to ensure your tenure ?.
Sad times indeed. I don't have the attention span of a house fly but I do have the life span of a human being and would like to see this team back where it belongs before that ends.
Amen to that. We geriatrics must stick together. "Shoulder creaks while reaching for the Single Malt."

Dare To Dream. If harsh reality is watching the kind of performances we are seeing now for another five years whilst Poch asks for more money and more time then please allow me to imagine differently so I have something to look forward to in my old age. To imagine that magnificent stadium being a mausoleum filled with nothing but the abject silence of disappointed fans watching dire team performances, with members on here still saying "I think he deserves another season" just fills my heart with dread. Sigh.
There is nothing wrong with realising your limitations, but as a football club let those limits be the ones set by the dreams and ambitions of the owners, not just one particular manager.
You're thinking too much. You'll give yourself an Irish headache. Let's be realistic.
Poch's probably going nowhere. Levy isn't going to change. This is who we are for the foreseeable future. I'm just going to let go of my ambitions for the club and go back to just watching them play. That way, I'll have no real expectations and can once again just be a Spurs fan.

You're thinking too much. You'll give yourself an Irish headache. Let's be realistic.
Poch's probably going nowhere. Levy isn't going to change. This is who we are for the foreseeable future. I'm just going to let go of my ambitions for the club and go back to just watching them play. That way, I'll have no real expectations and can once again just be a Spurs fan.
Not thinking too much at all, just dreaming of what really could be if we had true fans running the club. Poch has had his opportunity and I'm grateful for where he took us but we are now at the terminus. Time to change drivers and have a destination that everybody wishes to get to.

If the information on that podcast is to be believed (and seems pretty reliable information but who knows...) then, as they say, it seems we are in the bizarre situation where both Levy and Poch himself want him to go, but we're waiting for Man Utd to sack Solskjaer, who will then appoint Poch and then we are freed from having to pay off his contract. Then we'll appoint someone else. But at the moment we remain in this strange stalemate condition which will no doubt create an awful atmosphere at the club.

As a psychotherapist by profession, I truly believe Poch, his coaches and the players needed a top quality group therapist to come in and sort out the issues after the CL final defeat. It's too late now by the sounds of it. I'd love Poch to turn it all around, but I'd say the chances of him being our manager at the start of next season is around 3%.

The fact that Poch seeks a squad overhawl in the upcoming windows means that he no longer thinks we can perform with players that were world class a few years back. I understand some of them might have regressed or gotten older, but it can't be applied to the whole lot. The fact that they're not performing is essentially on him and he just basically admitted there's nothing he can do about it and needs new players in. Instead of buying like mad (which I won't believe will happen anyway), I'd rather we got our old players back... or at least some of them.

Brilliant post.

Soon to be answered by someone saying:

“But signings”

We got ourselves in the top 2 teams in the prem and we got ourselves to the CL final. Weather we planned to be there now is another story. We might be ahead of schedule but it doesn't matter. We got ourselves in a position to challenge for big honours.
So it answer the thread question. Poch out... Let's continue our mission of being the best team in England and europe.
COYS
I get this funny feeling CheekyPint CheekyPint your gonna feel massively deflated when Daniel Levy pisses on your fireworks and appoints Eddie Howe

Some of you need to get a reality check on the sack Poch and get in someone who will win us trophies.
That will happen when THFC run the club on a budget equivalent to or bigger than Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Man Utd.
Look at who has won the domestic trophies in the last 10 years.

God could run Spurs but if we dont give him/her more money than those 4 - then he/she is going to have to cheat to make it happen.

Other genders may also be god, but as I'm an atheist I dont give a fuck

Some of you need to get a reality check on the sack Poch and get in someone who will win us trophies.
That will happen when THFC run the club on a budget equivalent to or bigger than Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Man Utd.

God could run Spurs but if we dont give him/her more money than those 4 - then he/she is going to have to cheat to make it happen.

What has budget or lack of spending got to do with shit manager decisions?
Poch chose to play son lwb against Chelsea in the f.a cup semi
Poch chose to play vorm against man u in the f.a cup semi
Poch chose to drop Lucas for an unfit kane in the cl final

I don't think you will get alot of people saying we could not of done with a couple of more signings but they would not of got in the team over poch's favourites anyway
He has always had the 3rd/4th best squad in the league regardless of spending
He is not a great manager he is just a good manager. He has been found out or made bad decisions everytime it really mattered.
He has lost the dressing room and it's time for us to bring in someone who can win things

Not thinking too much at all, just dreaming of what really could be if we had true fans running the club. Poch has had his opportunity and I'm grateful for where he took us but we are now at the terminus. Time to change drivers and have a destination that everybody wishes to get to.
I agree but I simply don't see anything happening. It's all too comfortable. They all earn money and nobody in the management seems to care about quality or pride. So in order to keep sane and not become an angry alcoholic, I am just going to take each game as it comes. I think it's too much trouble for anyone to change. They'll just limp along, Son will go to Napoli, Kane probably one of the European super clubs. We know CE is going to RM in the January window. They show no urgency so why drive myself up the wall?

Atheists of the world, unite!

Back
Top Bottom