Pavlyuchenko: Style Icon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7UH1w00KXE[/youtube]

Thought it was pretty amazing that the players serenaded him with the Super Pav song as he left the lodge.

Scored a few crackers and showed he has the ability to succeed at the highest level.
Far, far too inconsistent, unfortunately. But good luck in Russia!

Russian footballers never really seem to cut the mustard in the Premier League, really not sure why. Kanchelskis was the last one I can remember and he went shite after leaving Man U.

I like to think that what Pav lacked in effort, he made up for with his presence in the dressing room and training ground. Seemed like he was everyone's best mate.

Love the bloke and will miss him in some ways, but what a waster...

Wish him well

Where did you go Pav? I miss you so, seems like it's been forever, that you've been gone, please come back home.

Thelonious said:
Russian footballers never really seem to cut the mustard in the Premier League, really not sure why. Kanchelskis was the last one I can remember and he went shite after leaving Man U.

The problem is more players from ex-communist states than it is just players from Russia, in my opinion.

Ran into this a ways back reading about the differences between Modric and Berbatov, and I think it really holds water.

When you look at Pav, you immediately think of his poor work rate, and general lackadaisical attitude. Generally, the distinguishing characteristic of the EPL is work rate and pace, which I generally attribute to the climate, I.E. you can run harder for longer without wrecking yourself than you can in Italy or Spain. With such pace, technique and tactics don't quite matter as much as they do in Serie A or La Liga, where the game is a bit slower and technique and tactics have much more sway.

Ah, you say "But Pav has done great for previous clubs and country and worked his ass off! Why does he work so hard for Russia but not for his club?" The answer of course is that the players coming out of Russia these days still developed under a distinctly communist-style of Football. That is, extremely rigid management, ridiculous drills and "science." Ex-communist players need extremely rigid work environments. If left to their own devices in a free-er sense, exemplified like few others these days by Tottenham, where the idea of total football is "just fucking run around a bit," they crumble. E.G. Modric works his little fucking ass off, and there would be no place for Berbatov in the English game if he weren't so fucking good. The guy just doesn't put a shift in.

VirginiaSpur said:
The problem is more players from ex-communist states than it is just players from Russia, in my opinion.

Ran into this a ways back reading about the differences between Modric and Berbatov, and I think it really holds water.
E.G. Modric works his little fucking ass off, and there would be no place for Berbatov in the English game if he weren't so fucking good. The guy just doesn't put a shift in.
You know Modric is from an ex-communist state, right?

coalhada said:
You know Modric is from an ex-communist state, right?
I was going to respond the same way, and I read and reread the comment to see if I missed something.

My best guess is that Modrić is the exception that proves the rule. That unlike his ex-communist brethren, he has understood the value of hard-work, etc. Berbatov, Pav, and the rest are typical examples.

Back
Top Bottom