Palace Vs Tottenham - FA Cup 4th Round.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really don’t get the logic that if we win the FA cup we don’t go to the champions league. Teams can do both you know? And most of them to it. This “top 4 is life” mentality that we laughed so much about Woolwich is now the fans mentality. Funny how life works.

And it’s not normal to be like “eh okay next year you can try”. Embarrassing

The most important thing for Tottenham now is to always be in the top four

There we have it, from the horses mouth so to speak.
We now know, if we didn't already, Poch's remit and the ethos of the club's owners

Money and profit first, Trophies and titles a distant second.

#doingittherightway

You'd prefer a cup and 5th place? There is some hope that if we continue to finish top 4 we'd some investment then if we don't finish top 4. We're yet to see such investment but that's not the point. Top 4 is a minimum. Not sure what peoples issue was with today's line up. We had plenty of chances to score. We have lots of injuries and can't risk more

I really don’t get the logic that if we win the FA cup we don’t go to the champions league. Teams can do both you know? And most of them to it. This “top 4 is life” mentality that we laughed so much about Woolwich is now the fans mentality. Funny how life works.

He basically said to win any of the domestic cups requires luck and strength in depth.

I assume his comments in that nature mean that he knows we didn't get our luck today (Penalty miss, Nkouodu miss) and that our depth isn't strong.

We've got to two FA Cup semi finals whilst comfortably finishing in the top four over the last two seasons. But we can't deny we got a lot of luck in those FA Cup runs.

Poch said that at Christmas and I told you all that

Why do you think it’s news?
He said he laughs at people who want trophies. I find it disgraceful
I agree it's disgraceful. And disrespectful to the fans.

But do you not think this is the remit he's given from the board?
Is he not just acheiving the aims and the goals of his employer?

If so, are they also acting disgracefully, in your view?

I don't understand people saying teams like city spending lots is a waste of time BUT when they finish above us they then say it's because they spent a lot.
I don't know who you are having this conversation with, but why bring me into it?
It is obviously not "a waste of time" to spend money like City have, but they have spent €500 million in the last 4 years. That was on a platform where they had already spent about €600 million before that since the oil money takeover. And that is without the wages.
If we spend €1 billion in the next 10 years and put all the players on 250k a week I would expect us to be at least as good as City, but what is the point of that conversation?

I think it's more to do with overall success based on what the club needs moreso at the moment.

Of course it doesn't have to be one or the other but for the next few years the bigger success should be seen in qualifying for the most prestigious club tournament globally.

That gets the stadium paid off, that gets the wages paid club focusing on what's important at the moment, ensuring that the foundations of the club and the future it's decided to pursue with the new build and organic growth of the multiple facets modern day football revolve around are progressed as quickly as possible.

It's a time where money matters to Spurs, as I've said before it's all about being patient at the moment where major success is finishing above the likes of Woolwich, Man U, Chelsea when all are bigger in clout than us as opposed to a cup win that shaves £1m off of our bill. This as opposed to the £50m-£100m Champions League qualification can bring with it is chalk and cheese to what matters to economic boost of the club during such a big investment off the field which if some fail to understand it does significantly effect the investment we can and will make off of it for the time being and for the best interests of the club long term

Last edited:
Was referring to the Top 4 comments specifically which is evidently profits driven
Same comments he said at Christmas
That the goal is top 4 until the stadium loosens up more money, that we are ahead of schedule and that he laughs at the notion we need a trophy.

I posted all that and challenged John to address it, and asked when he’ll hold the manager accountable for his part in the club’s policy.
He ran away.

Now he posts the top 4 comment and acts like it’s new news, and that Levy said it.
The target is top 4, that doesn’t mean the chairman won’t let him make a substitution or play a decent keeper though.

We all know Pochs view on domestic cups.

Of course it’s the target of the board, but it’s also Poch that dropped Eriksen and Lloris and stuck with Llorente instead of trying Sterling for a half

If there are no players out there who could improve our squad how come Palace can field a team against us that is, in roughly 7 positions better than our team today ?

I’d never buy and play Kouyate over a fit Dier, but i’d have him over a hobbled Wanyama. Equally i’d not pick van Aanholt over Rose, but would have him in the team over KWP. Wickham or Benteke or Stirling running on ? And we all know about Zaha ( who I detest by the way )

Our best 14 players are a match for anyone, but go beyond that it’s a dramatic drop off. That team we had out today would not finish top 10 in the premier league. I’d suggest it would not finish above Palace even on evidence. So any pretending that the squad is good enough is that. Pretending. It should not be a surprise that that team today lost 2-0. The more I consider what’s happened the more I do realise that no one in charge will likely give a shit.

I don't know who you are having this conversation with, but why bring me into it?
It is obviously not "a waste of time" to spend money like City have, but they have spent €500 million in the last 4 years. That was on a platform where they had already spent about €600 million before that since the oil money takeover. And that is without the wages.
If we spend €1 billion in the next 10 years and put all the players on 250k a week I would expect us to be at least as good as City, but what is the point of that conversation?
I agree it's not a waste of time spending all that ££. Your right, nothing more to be said on the matter. You messaged me first. I was telling you what I made the comment for.

Of course it’s the target of the board, but it’s also Poch that dropped Eriksen and Lloris and stuck with Llorente instead of trying Sterling for a half
So do you think the board's ethos of top 4 and profit over trophies and titles is also a disgrace? Or is it just Poch that's a disgrace for carrying out their priorities

I'm not going to torture myself by reading through the posts over the last 70 pages, as I can imagine what a lot of them were like. So apologies to those of you who made sensible, rational posts. We should have won with our possession, but if we can't finish, then we didn't deserve the victory. I'm trying to look on the bright side, and am glad that I don't have to endure any more trips to Wembley than I have to!
All I can add is that I'm sorry the manicure didn't work this time.

according to Pochettino, he was told that top 4 by the time we move into the new stadium that we arent building.

How he goes about that is up to him. It's his choice to ignore the domestic cups.

I doubt highly, as would anybody that is in the slightest bit sane, that he has been told "btw..win the FA cup 5 years on the trot but dont get top 4 by the time we move into the new stadium that we arent building and you're out."

do you really think thats the case?

Back
Top Bottom