OK, enough's enough.... The Sol Campbell stuff needs to stop!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's relevant when read in tandem with the rest of the paragraph. Collectives organize their shared identity through rituals and symbols. Sol became a (bad) symbol for us and the time that passed doesn't matter.
You are wayyyy overthinking things.
He shit on his own doorstep and allowed tens of thousands of fans who adored him to be humiliated by fans of his new club. He lied and lied to us and left the club in the lurch.
Every time we sing these songs we look like hysterical partners in a break up.
We need to move on publicly - and the time passed does matter.

Ps - There is no forgiveness and we will never forget, we just need to go down the "bigger man" route.
IMHO

Not satisfied with being a North London footballing traitor Campbell; born into an East end, working class, family of 12 children, has, in recent years, decided that becoming a class traitor is a further desirable ambition.

He just never learns.

A younger generation will only know what happened from the stories, so it may seem silly for them to be hateful about it but for those of us that lived it, it's a story which seldom happens in football. Our captain fucked off to our biggest rivals, on a free transfer no less. It doesn't happen. For me, I'll hate that forever.

I'll stop singing the song when he says that he shouldn't have gone to Woolwich. The Cunt one, obviously the Party/Jelly and Ice Cream is a bit cringe. But then isn't the one about an Woolwich fan on a string?

Right then, this ain't gonna go down well, I realise, so disagree all you want...

But after today, hearing pre-pubescent boys singing "Jelly and Ice Cream, when Sol Campbell dies" made me sad today...

a) 'cos they probably weren't alive when he did what he did...

and b) it was over TWENTY YEARS AGO.... we sound like bitter, small minded cunts now....

He did what he did, and I hate him.
BUT..... he's DEAD to me....

don't get me wrong, I despise him, and his warped, self obsessed weird little crazy mind.... but he has no influence on my life now, 'cos he managed to ruin it 20+ years ago, and I won't let his smug, sociopath, warped little confused scum cunt face continue to haunt me now....

We need to drop it.... He should be dead to us.... HE IS DEAD TO US!

Singing Sol Campbell Songs for so much of the game today, made us look like shall minded, jilted ex's who just can't let go...

We're the weird one that turns up at an exes funeral, eating Jelly and Ice Cream... It's just not right....

Disagree all you want, I'm sticking to this.

I won't mention his name (same as I won't utter the name of the club he defected to... 'cos neither are worthy of my breath!

There, I said it.

Save your Jelly and Ice cream for a GENUINE occasion worth celebrating!
I fucking loathe the cunt and I hope he gets abuse from dusk till dawn, from now till the end of his days. Any Spurs fans alive when he dies, please piss on his grave.

Not satisfied with being a North London footballing traitor Campbell; born into an East end, working class, family of 12 children, has, in recent years, decided that becoming a class traitor is a further desirable ambition.
He just never learns.
Fucking hell.... I think the guy is genuinely mentally ill...

At best, it's narcissistic, at worst he's clearly a psychopath!
(in the Donald Trump sense, not mass murderers like Hitler!!)

I'm not against Campbell being our villain and directing some kind of vitriol at him - the tribal aspect gives football energy and why it's such a unique and entertaining sport.

Much of the songs are just too OTT for me, specially in this day and age. I'll admit i've sang them before but nowadays I couldn't risk being caught singing them on camera and my boss seeing it. My career would be finished. Also when I hear this stuff and see the young kids in the stadium, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Wouldn't be totally adverse to just moving on completely but wish we could come up with new songs.

hopefully he gets it on a daily basis and it makes him consider swinging from that tree the slag.
Fucks sake!!

I challenge you to repeat that - word for word - in front of either the youngest, or eldest member of your family! ...you can even have the luxury of putting it into context if you like, just to see if it makes any difference!

fucking SUICIDE mate!! Have a word!

I still maintain him living to a ripe old age, and getting abuse every day of his miserable existence, is more effective than having the 'escape route' of not living at all in order to be subjected to it!

Fucks sake!!

I challenge you to repeat that - word for word - in front of either the youngest, or eldest member of your family! ...you can even have the luxury of putting it into context if you like, just to see if it makes any difference!

fucking SUICIDE mate!! Have a word!

I still maintain him living to a ripe old age, and getting abuse every day of his miserable existence, is more effective than having the 'escape route' of not living at all in order to be subjected to it!
Sod him.

Yes, there is that, but would you still be prepared to repeat what you posted about him to a beloved Family member....?

I'm all for hating the cunt, I despise him!
But wishing he hangs himself 'cos of what he did makes us look like a truly spiteful, nasty fanbase on a par with anything Millwall or Chelsea could come up with...

Hate him, abuse him, fine, whatever... but wishing death on him is stooping to a much lower, darker level...

If he had been a serial killer, or a child molester, then maybe.... but he left one (at the time unsuccessful) club to join another, more successful one just down the road... For free... after he was our hero.... Yes, he's scum, pure despicable scum...
He committed a crime against all the principles of football, not to mention his own (lack of) moral scruples and principals as a man.... but not a crime - last time I checked - worthy of the death penalty!

Surely WE'RE BETTER than that?

Yes, there is that, but would you still be prepared to repeat what you posted about him to a beloved Family member....?

I'm all for hating the cunt, I despise him!
But wishing he hangs himself 'cos of what he did makes us look like a truly spiteful, nasty fanbase on a par with anything Millwall or Chelsea could come up with...

Hate him, abuse him, fine, whatever... but wishing death on him is stooping to a much lower, darker level...

If he had been a serial killer, or a child molester, then maybe.... but he left one (at the time unsuccessful) club to join another, more successful one just down the road... For free... after he was our hero.... Yes, he's scum, pure despicable scum...
He committed a crime against all the principles of football, not to mention his own (lack of) moral scruples and principals as a man.... but not a crime - last time I checked - worthy of the death penalty!

Surely WE'RE BETTER than that
Ju
Just said it to my mrs:nunothumb:
I truly wouldn't lose any sleep if he died tomorrow. My opinion deal with it

I don't wish him death, that's too harsh even though of what he did. I just refuse to say his name, and since I haven't witnessed his treachery, the only thing I can compare it to is if Kane did the same thing (even then it's not the same since he was the only good player for us back in the day). I genuinely don't know how I'd cope with that. Hurts me to even think about it.

Back
Top Bottom