OK, enough's enough.... The Sol Campbell stuff needs to stop!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Those of us who remember Campbell's career at Spurs will never forgive him for what he did to us.

He kicked us while we were down.

What many forget is how utterly shit Campbell was at the start of his career.

He was one of the worst young centre forwards I have ever seen representing the club. He was truly hopeless.

He was a tall, strong athlete with very little footballing ability. Terrible first touch.

Spurs persevered with him, after his initial masquerade as a centre forward, and gave the prick a chance by integrating him into the team as a left back.

Gary Mabbutt babysat him and talked him through each game; step by step.

Campbell eventually began to fill in all across the back line under Mabbutt's guidance.

Campbell did not become a great player overnight. It took several seasons.

He replaced Mabbutt as club captain. He held that role at the time he walked across the NLD divide.

Sol Campbell understood the gravity of what he did.

He needs to own it.
He could have joined United and probably won more and we wouldn’t have gave a fuck other than losing a transfer fee.
He is, was and always will be a cunt.

Right then, this ain't gonna go down well, I realise, so disagree all you want...

But after today, hearing pre-pubescent boys singing "Jelly and Ice Cream, when Sol Campbell dies" made me sad today...

a) 'cos they probably weren't alive when he did what he did...

and b) it was over TWENTY YEARS AGO.... we sound like bitter, small minded cunts now....

He did what he did, and I hate him.
BUT..... he's DEAD to me....

don't get me wrong, I despise him, and his warped, self obsessed weird little crazy mind.... but he has no influence on my life now, 'cos he managed to ruin it 20+ years ago, and I won't let his smug, sociopath, warped little confused scum cunt face continue to haunt me now....

We need to drop it.... He should be dead to us.... HE IS DEAD TO US!

Singing Sol Campbell Songs for so much of the game today, made us look like shall minded, jilted ex's who just can't let go...

We're the weird one that turns up at an exes funeral, eating Jelly and Ice Cream... It's just not right....

Disagree all you want, I'm sticking to this.

I won't mention his name (same as I won't utter the name of the club he defected to... 'cos neither are worthy of my breath!

There, I said it.

Save your Jelly and Ice cream for a GENUINE occasion worth celebrating!
I agree with everything you've said about the chant - it's pathetic - but I reserve the right to carry on enjoying (and commenting on) the buffoon's utter stupidity.

Sir Judas of Woolwich.

Those of us who remember Campbell's career at Spurs will never forgive him for what he did to us.

He kicked us while we were down.

What many forget is how utterly shit Campbell was at the start of his career.

He was one of the worst young centre forwards I have ever seen representing the club. He was truly hopeless.

He was a tall, strong athlete with very little footballing ability. Terrible first touch.

Spurs persevered with him, after his initial masquerade as a centre forward, and gave the prick a chance by integrating him into the team as a left back.

Gary Mabbutt babysat him and talked him through each game; step by step.

Campbell eventually began to fill in all across the back line under Mabbutt's guidance.

Campbell did not become a great player overnight. It took several seasons.

He replaced Mabbutt as club captain. He held that role at the time he walked across the NLD divide.

Sol Campbell understood the gravity of what he did.

He needs to own it.

PepperyRecentAmazonparrot-size_restricted.gif

Meh. I'm not keen on the song any more, but I'm not going to suggest other people don't sing it just because I don't like it. The day we have football song police dictating what we can and can't sing will be a very sad day indeed.

He could have joined United and probably won more and we wouldn’t have gave a fuck other than losing a transfer fee.
He is, was and always will be a cunt.
I understand that it was United's interest in Campbell, and an offer to Spurs from United that was rejected by the club, without consulting Campbell, which created Campbell's initial resentment and led to him running his contract down.

Leaving for free would have made the point and his personal integrity and Spurs credentials would have remained intact.

His advisor Sky Andrew was part of the problem in my opinion. Who in their right mind would have advised their client to take that particular step?

Sugar claims the home defeat to Birmingham City in the League Cup set the wheels in motion for his departure and sale to ENIC.

I suspect Sugar knew he couldn't survive what Campbell did.

So; in an indirect way, Campbell is also responsible for ENIC buying the club from Sugar.

From a personal viewpoint; I've never felt the same way about any professional footballer.

It was a turning point for English football and Spurs in particular regarding the Bosman ruling.

Loyalty is a two way thing.

Campbell knows what he is.

Spurs loyal supporters gave him everything and he served them up a cold dish.

With my philosopher's hat on the moral of the story is that had Sugar not been so tight with the transfer budget; Spurs would never have persevered with the likes of Campbell in the first place. Campbell's professional career as a striker would have taken him to the non league pyramid in my honest opinion.

Sugar's 'limited budget' created Sol Campbell's re-incarnation as a central defender.

Sugar and Campbell's time at Spurs began and ended at around the same time and it was the self interested nature of both men's actions that led the other to decide to leave THFC.

Maybe it was meant to be that way.

Last edited:
Do you think the red poppy, or the WW2 jets flying at ceremonies need to stop? collectives form identity over a shared narrative of history. For supporters it's pivotal events that shaped the club. Trophy seasons are first in that order, but the club captain deserting to the arch-rival is definitely a major events as it shows the lows we sunk to back then.
Sol being a total arsehole definitely didn't help him.

So the Pompey fans sing songs about our open wound and to a man we become their unpaid dance monkey.
And look who we play next - and I'm guessing they will have taken note and will be mugging us off along the same lines.
I hate the guy with a passion that worries me, but all we are doing is let the guy live rent free, and we need, collectively, to stop.
The man is shite, we all know it, but we have to take a break from confirming to him that his existence is still a problem for us.

Back
Top Bottom