Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
Your hatred for Mason makes you say some utterly bizarre stuff.
I don't hate Mason. In fact my first post about him after the Southampton game was me stating that I thought just from that game alone he will have a future in management because I felt he had a clear game plan that game.

In fact I still think he will have a career in management but away from a club that he has his mates all over the place. He has proven he can't seperate friendship from management.

The dinosaur left THREE seasons ago mate!! Of course, they've added players and those players have been way, way better than the players the dinosaur signed during his time.

It's not about "moving on" I was counting the days the day he was appointed, so trust me I'm way ahead of you on getting past the dinosaur!

It's about drawing parallels to us, WHICH MAKES IT ENTIRELY RELEVANT.
a) He cunted off their players
b) He bough shit players
c) he played shit football
d) Players didn't do fitness training (worse at Man U because he got rid of the sports science dept, he thankfully didn't do that here)
e) Fan's joined in with the finger-pointing and cunted off their own players
f) Fans thought their entire squad was shit and should be sold off as deadwood.

This is important to see exactly the same happening here. We will recover from the damage he did but I hope we can do it in a shorter timeframe than the OGS. THIS is the only reason why I'm bringing it up because I log in here almost every day and all I see is post after post of fans still cunting off players when it was the dinosaur totally responsible.

You previously had shots at Jose for ruining the following 4 players:

Shaw - Has finally put in a good 6 months after joining in 2014 (3 managers)!
Lingard - Formerly a hit under Jose. Lost focus due to personal issues (his words)... Had to leave during Ole's 3rd season before finally sorting himself out.
Martial - Is on the outs as he continues to be prove sketchy (3 managers)
Pogba - A sketchy primadonna with a cancerous agent who continues to phone it in when he fancies.

That's not Jose's handywork.

The last paragraph I disagree with totally and you have no evidence to support the claim either.

Against teams that press Mason was exposed horribly. Leeds, Villa, United....we were outplayed and the performances in all those games were embarrassing.
Give it a rest fella. Been here before with you at the end of the season and you didn't even bother to respond then when I said we were an unfit team and Mason had to deal with that. Now here we are again, not only having our eye test to look at one of the most unfit teams in the league, struggling all season there are numerous stories emerging at how unfit we were.

My claim is simple, Mason would have had us, fitter. We wouldn't have sat back against the likes of Palace and cough up points from winning positions (more than any other side). Let's not forget that Mason beat a team that was above us, something Jose failed to do all fucking season. He achieved this because he had us play better football. Given a pre-seaosn and proper fitness training (like alal of our opponents) we would have competed better.

But please do crack on with the myth that we were fit, that we were in peak condition, that we didn't drop the most points from winning positions because we were pressing and outrunning our opponents into the ground.

Give it a rest fella. Been here before with you at the end of the season and you didn't even bother to respond then when I said we were an unfit team and Mason had to deal with that. Now here we are again, not only having our eye test to look at one of the most unfit teams in the league, struggling all season there are numerous stories emerging at how unfit we were.

My claim is simple, Mason would have had us, fitter. We wouldn't have sat back against the likes of Palace and cough up points from winning positions (more than any other side). Let's not forget that Mason beat a team that was above us, something Jose failed to do all fucking season. He achieved this because he had us play better football. Given a pre-seaosn and proper fitness training (like alal of our opponents) we would have competed better.

But please do crack on with the myth that we were fit, that we were in peak condition, that we didn't drop the most points from winning positions because we were pressing and outrunning our opponents into the ground.
No you're claim was that we would have finished top 4 if Mason was in charge. Some random outlandish claim based on absolutely nothing at all.

How do you even know Mason values fitness training highly?

Mourinho was deservedly sacked but quit trying to literally blame everything on him. Its tiresome to many people on here and it seems you can't let it go despite him fucking off months ago.

No you're claim was that we would have finished top 4 if Mason was in charge. Some random outlandish claim based on absolutely nothing at all.

How do you even know Mason values fitness training highly?

Mourinho was deservedly sacked but quit trying to literally blame everything on him. Its tiresome to many people on here and it seems you can't let it go despite him fucking off months ago.
And I stand by that claim and I gave reasoning behind it's rationale too.

It's already been mentioned (by himself as well as some of the players) that his philosophy is influenced by Poch, from training, conditioning to playing. Had he been given a pre-season it really isn't a stretch to suggest that we would have not been a fitter side under him than under the dinosaur (the dinosaur's approach to fitness was also shown for all its faults in not just us but at Utd too). So regardless of even contemplating a different philosophy of how to play and the very basic level, we would have been fitter and on this point alone we wouldn't have sat back and looked like knackered snails and coughed up points that would have meant the difference between top for and 7th!

What's harder to assert is whether Mason's inexperience would have us achieve this whilst also playing far more entertaining football. On the small run of games, he took control of I suggest that he would have by and large succeeded on this point as well, we did player more expansively, we did beat a team above us in the League under him (we didn't do that all season under the dinosaur!). What was harder for him he inherited the unfitess team in the league, there's nothing he could do about this, you can't flick a switch in the morning and make players fit, this takes weeks and weeks of prep and constant monitoring, something not afforded to him. And yet inspit of this he got more out of the team than the dinosaur got with zero prep, zero time on the training field.

And I stand by that claim and I gave reasoning behind it's rationale too.

It's already been mentioned (by himself as well as some of the players) that his philosophy is influenced by Poch, from training, conditioning to playing. Had he been given a pre-season it really isn't a stretch to suggest that we would have not been a fitter side under him than under the dinosaur (the dinosaur's approach to fitness was also shown for all its faults in not just us but at Utd too). So regardless of even contemplating a different philosophy of how to play and the very basic level, we would have been fitter and on this point alone we wouldn't have sat back and looked like knackered snails and coughed up points that would have meant the difference between top for and 7th!

What's harder to assert is whether Mason's inexperience would have us achieve this whilst also playing far more entertaining football. On the small run of games, he took control of I suggest that he would have by and large succeeded on this point as well, we did player more expansively, we did beat a team above us in the League under him (we didn't do that all season under the dinosaur!). What was harder for him he inherited the unfitess team in the league, there's nothing he could do about this, you can't flick a switch in the morning and make players fit, this takes weeks and weeks of prep and constant monitoring, something not afforded to him. And yet inspit of this he got more out of the team than the dinosaur got with zero prep, zero time on the training field.
It's pure speculation to claim Mason would have got us top 4.

He made some truly bizarre selection decisions in his limited time here and we struggled against every decent team we played.

Liverpool, United, Chelsea and City all have better squads than us and we have no divine right to be in the top 4. We rely on us overperforming and/or one of those teams underperforming in any given season if we are to get there.

It's not as simple as 'play more attacking football and we get top 4'.

I dunno the vibes i'm getting are that Nuno is here because he's willing to work with the deadwood. Other managerial options would have been less likely to do so. The big transfer decision will be Kane in/out which will dictate a few other deals i'd guess.

I don't expect as many changes as some do which points to another season similar to the last two. More Winks and Sissoko which means another wasted year.

Player motivation has been our problem for the last couple of years. I want a manager who can fix that and that means a manager who can work with the players we've got. I'm sick of us buying new players who don't prove to be any better than the ones we've got.

And, as I've already said, I'm delighted to have a manager who isn't on a 5 year contract and isn't trying to sell us another "project for the future". The first step to having a motivated playing squad is having a motivated manager and managers are far too cashed up these days for my liking.

It's pure speculation to claim Mason would have got us top 4.

He made some truly bizarre selection decisions in his limited time here and we struggled against every decent team we played.

Liverpool, United, Chelsea and City all have better squads than us and we have no divine right to be in the top 4. We rely on us overperforming and/or one of those teams underperforming in any given season if we are to get there.

It's not as simple as 'play more attacking football and we get top 4'.
Where the fuck have I said we have a divine right to the top 4???

We were 5 points off top 4 and dropped something like 21 or 22 from winning positions, most against absolute muck with us playing deep on the edge of our box inviting pressure onto us that cost us. I think it's fair to say that Mason wouldn't have had us playing like Stoke and he would have had the players fit (as any manager would have done, name a single team that looked as worse as we did fitness-wise - I'll give you a pass on WBA, I genuinely didn't watch more than 2 games (ours against them).

The ONLY team that we beat that was in the top ten at the point of us playing them was Leicester, who weren't on the beach when we played them and arguably it was their biggest game of the season as a win or draw against us would have given them top 4 (and £100m in revenue, hence my claim to arguably their biggest game), we won and we did it under Mason.

I didn't claim we have better squads them those other teams, I do think under Mason he'd have gotten us the 5pts we needed to get top four though, that's what's being said!

Has Utd got a better squad than us? Really? You see this is the relevance of the conversation, the parallels of us and Utd. When the dinosaur left Man U fans wanted the players replaced, the dinosaur does this, it's no different to us now, post dino people still say we need to replace half our squad. I say NO! We needed to replace the cunt of a manager. Look at Chavs and the difference Tuchel's made, same players different manager.

I'm not sure how we'll fair under Nuno, not my choice but I know as sure shit is shit he'll be better than the dinosaur on account of him having them fit and prepared, on account of having them motivated and not hung out to dry resulting in them not showing for the ball.

Next season is a new season with different challenges, will there be COVID around? How will this affect prep and training, are fans back etc.?? The way it's looking is that there will be a marked difference to this than the last, so little point in making direct comparisons as the impact of a COVID free or semi-free environment might have a big effect on some teams.

Utd have built or building a handy squad, they've still got OGS at the wheel though, their football is basic but they will smack the shitter teams that's for sure which will result in points on the board.

City is the team to beat but I think Chavs will run them close.

LFC will play or attempt to play exactly the same way under Klopp, which is what got them crawling over the line last season, it was almost on memory muscle, but have they got a better team than us?? Really?? (if you've been bashing on the players rather than the dinosaur and want wholesale changes to the squad then don't bother with a reply, I'm not listening). Their squad is ageing and there are signs of it creaking, he didn't call upon any young players last year that stood out and forced their way into the conversation (I think there was one lad in defence but can't remember his name). It's a real headscratcher how they'll do. But Klopp is a great manager (better than Nuno) and he'll probably find solutions from somewhere, I think he is the difference rather than the players.

Where the fuck have I said we have a divine right to the top 4???

We were 5 points off top 4 and dropped something like 21 or 22 from winning positions, most against absolute muck with us playing deep on the edge of our box inviting pressure onto us that cost us. I think it's fair to say that Mason wouldn't have had us playing like Stoke and he would have had the players fit (as any manager would have done, name a single team that looked as worse as we did fitness-wise - I'll give you a pass on WBA, I genuinely didn't watch more than 2 games (ours against them).

The ONLY team that we beat that was in the top ten at the point of us playing them was Leicester, who weren't on the beach when we played them and arguably it was their biggest game of the season as a win or draw against us would have given them top 4 (and £100m in revenue, hence my claim to arguably their biggest game), we won and we did it under Mason.

I didn't claim we have better squads them those other teams, I do think under Mason he'd have gotten us the 5pts we needed to get top four though, that's what's being said!

Has Utd got a better squad than us? Really? You see this is the relevance of the conversation, the parallels of us and Utd. When the dinosaur left Man U fans wanted the players replaced, the dinosaur does this, it's no different to us now, post dino people still say we need to replace half our squad. I say NO! We needed to replace the cunt of a manager. Look at Chavs and the difference Tuchel's made, same players different manager.

I'm not sure how we'll fair under Nuno, not my choice but I know as sure shit is shit he'll be better than the dinosaur on account of him having them fit and prepared, on account of having them motivated and not hung out to dry resulting in them not showing for the ball.

Next season is a new season with different challenges, will there be COVID around? How will this affect prep and training, are fans back etc.?? The way it's looking is that there will be a marked difference to this than the last, so little point in making direct comparisons as the impact of a COVID free or semi-free environment might have a big effect on some teams.

Utd have built or building a handy squad, they've still got OGS at the wheel though, their football is basic but they will smack the shitter teams that's for sure which will result in points on the board.

City is the team to beat but I think Chavs will run them close.

LFC will play or attempt to play exactly the same way under Klopp, which is what got them crawling over the line last season, it was almost on memory muscle, but have they got a better team than us?? Really?? (if you've been bashing on the players rather than the dinosaur and want wholesale changes to the squad then don't bother with a reply, I'm not listening). Their squad is ageing and there are signs of it creaking, he didn't call upon any young players last year that stood out and forced their way into the conversation (I think there was one lad in defence but can't remember his name). It's a real headscratcher how they'll do. But Klopp is a great manager (better than Nuno) and he'll probably find solutions from somewhere, I think he is the difference rather than the players.
Liverpool absolutely have a better team than us, hence all those trophies they've won. Pure delusion to think otherwise. They still finished above us without central defenders for a whole season.

If you really think Dier, Dele, Winks, Aurier, Sanchez, Sissoko, Doherty, Vinicius, Lamela, Bergjwin etc. get anywhere near the minutes they got for us at any of the other big teams in the league you are simply lying to yourself.

I find it amazing that so many Spurs fans still overrate our squad after multiple failures under multiple managers.

I get that you can think Mourinho is a shit manager but I don't get why you are so willing to absolve the players of any blame. The same players that downed tools for Poch.

Every successful team has space for a few average players with good attitudes not all 25 have to be world class. Our problem is around half of our squad fall comfortably into the average category and what's worse is they don't even have good attitudes (see Winks, Dele, Aurier et al).

No one is winning a trophy with these players and it's as simple as that. Lets hope Pat can do a good job this summer and clear the decks.

Liverpool absolutely have a better team than us, hence all those trophies they've won. Pure delusion to think otherwise. They still finished above us without central defenders for a whole season.

If you really think Dier, Dele, Winks, Aurier, Sanchez, Sissoko, Doherty, Vinicius, Lamela, Bergjwin etc. get anywhere near the minutes they got for us at any of the other big teams in the league you are simply lying to yourself.

I find it amazing that so many Spurs fans still overrate our squad after multiple failures under multiple managers.

I get that you can think Mourinho is a shit manager but I don't get why you are so willing to absolve the players of any blame. The same players that downed tools for Poch.

Every successful team has space for a few average players with good attitudes not all 25 have to be world class. Our problem is around half of our squad fall comfortably into the average category and what's worse is they don't even have good attitudes (see Winks, Dele, Aurier et al).

No one is winning a trophy with these players and it's as simple as that. Lets hope Pat can do a good job this summer and clear the decks.
Because the dinosaur is a shite manager. Because Utd fans said exactly the same as some Spurs fans now about how shite their squad is after the dino left them. This is what the dino does, he apportions blame onto the players away from himself, fans lap that up and join in, it happened at Chavs (they held up banners around the stadium demanding the "snakes" #out of the club, fast forward to Conte coming in and they were signing their names again.

Same at Utd, same at Spurs. The pattern is there.

I'm not saying we don't need to sell players, I think Doherty is absolute shite but I'm not demanding him out because I want to see these players play under a manager that's not a cunt. I'm very confident that Nuno isn't a cunt, I think he'll be far better than the dino and I think he'll create a good squad harmony. I think some players should perform better in this environment than they did under the dino. All the players deserve slack and we should judge how they play under Nuno. So if Doherty remains to be a useless fuck under Nuno then all is fair game.

I am slightly nervous about how he'll have us play and whether he has the ability to compete with the best managers in the business (there are his first 2 seasons at Wolves to point to that he might, as he had them performing well and achieved better than Poch did with Southampton, it's just I thought Poch's Southampton played better football than Nuno's Wolves).

LFC didn't win anything last year, they would have finished 4th if we didn't take points of Leicester, knocked out of FA Cup at 4th round, knocked out kangaroo Cup 4th Round, a real mixed bag in CL. There best players Mane( 29yrs old) on 16 goals (all comps), Firmino (29) 9 goals (all comps), Jota 13 goals (all comps). Central midfield they lost Wijnaldum, leaving Henderson 31, Milner (35), Thiago (30), very good player but will his knee injury prove his end at his age, we'll see. Oxlade-Chamberlin (27) Looool, Keita (26) simple hasn't settled at all, doesn't play when he has he's been shite. Shaqiri (29) 1 goal (all comps) 8 goals across 3 seasons, shite. Curtis Jones (20) this was the fella I meant in my previous post look a real prospect but will probably remain just that for a while. Fabino (27) I guess he's OK?? Their fans don't rate him, seems to be the one they single out probably unfairly because he's the one playing out of position as CB, but really is he all that? van Dijk (29) good CB lets see if he recovers at his age from his injury not many do. TAA (22) good WB, shite FB was found out last season as oppo targeted the space behind him. Robertson (27) quality FB & WB really like him, fantastic work rate, not a baller but reminds me of Rose both hard players and dominate their oppo. Matip (29) average as fuck.

The difference with Liverpool is Klopp, this team know how to play and know their individual roles, tactically they are an excellent side, well drilled. They need fresh legs in this side, the front four (apart from Salah) wilted last season. If they haven't fixed their issues in front 4 (maybe even central Midfield) then they are there for the taking.

Pre Poch era, this would have been an exciting recruitment. But right now, with the rumours going around before him, and the season he just had, it is really underwhelming.
Seeing his interview helps a lot though, speaks very very good english and kinda charismatic.
I think he will try 4231 here at first, a very tinkering kinda coach though. But whatever formation he comes up with, he seemed to insist on having to pivot midfield and pacey winger.
One of the biggest winner i think is Bergwijn. But the double pivot thing really gives me nightmare. We are lacking in dominant all round midfielder for such a long time now, and this just confirm we will not have one this window.
Wonder what this means to Ndombele and Lo Celso. I can see Lo Celso gelling in because he is very adaptable. But idk where Ndombele will be in all this.

Back
Top Bottom