Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 176 42.0%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.3%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Well he's still here and I don't think he will be going anywhere until the end of the season. The only way he goes is if we get Tuchel. I just can't see him giving millions away to Conte.

Some are saying that the pay off would be around £4 million

Yep and considering the transfers lost on petty haggling this doesn't make sense to pay 4 million when he can just wait for 10 games.

The counter argument being that if we make top four then it would bring in more cash

That is a ridiculous metric to look at. The fact is Conte has won 4 league titles in Italy with the highest wage bill in the league, and his Premier League title win was with the Second highest wage bill in the league to United (Every one knows United over pay their players).

The fact is titles do not mean shit especially coming to Spurs who have the 6th highest wage bill in the league and and 10-12th highest wage bill in Europe. That metric does not stack and is where we have gone wrong with both Mourinho and Conte appointments.

The fact is if you want to look at a metric you should be looking at how much each managers per league point cost compared to the teams around them. The fact is you are valuing the wrong thing a manager. Listen to any true top manager like Pep for example who said Chris Wilder had as much ability as Sheffield United manager as him but he had the resources to make this difference.

The metrics of trophies a manager has won does not tell you anything about their ability it only tells you what they did in the past and may have had spent a lot to do it.

The fact is if I take what is important to me and that is what a manager has done at Tottenham and how much enjoyment I have got out of it my list of best managers goes:
1. Poch
2. Harry Redknapp
3. Jol
4. Ramos (League Cup)
5. Conte (10 game period last season)

I have 3 managers who have made me happy and to be proud of supporting Spurs. The other two are only there because of a short run of results. Ramos mainly because of a 5-1 semi final win against Woolwich and the fact that I got to see my brother shout abuse at Philip Senderos the day before the game in a Tesco Metro.

The fact is I am into football for the memories and happiness it brings me. Jose and Conte have failed to do this really in any way.

Excellent post mate.

Top 4 might be a boom for other clubs but for us its holding us back now. We’d be better risking missing it and actually looking long term.

Tuchel would be the man mostly likely to get us top 4 but he would also be the man mostly likely to get sacked next season making us again start from the beginning.

We need a clear out of players, Paratici, Levy (won’t happen) and the manager. Build the team around the young players we have like Sarr, Skipp, Udogie etc and add to it that way.

The club needs vision and balls, it needs bravery and it needs a style of football that we can enjoy.

That is a ridiculous metric to look at. The fact is Conte has won 4 league titles in Italy with the highest wage bill in the league, and his Premier League title win was with the Second highest wage bill in the league to United (Every one knows United over pay their players).

The fact is titles do not mean shit especially coming to Spurs who have the 6th highest wage bill in the league and and 10-12th highest wage bill in Europe. That metric does not stack and is where we have gone wrong with both Mourinho and Conte appointments.

The fact is if you want to look at a metric you should be looking at how much each managers per league point cost compared to the teams around them. The fact is you are valuing the wrong thing a manager. Listen to any true top manager like Pep for example who said Chris Wilder had as much ability as Sheffield United manager as him but he had the resources to make this difference.

The metrics of trophies a manager has won does not tell you anything about their ability it only tells you what they did in the past and may have had spent a lot to do it.

The fact is if I take what is important to me and that is what a manager has done at Tottenham and how much enjoyment I have got out of it my list of best managers goes:
1. Poch
2. Harry Redknapp
3. Jol
4. Ramos (League Cup)
5. Conte (10 game period last season)

I have 3 managers who have made me happy and to be proud of supporting Spurs. The other two are only there because of a short run of results. Ramos mainly because of a 5-1 semi final win against Woolwich and the fact that I got to see my brother shout abuse at Philip Senderos the day before the game in a Tesco Metro.

The fact is I am into football for the memories and happiness it brings me. Jose and Conte have failed to do this really in any way.
when mourinho and conte have started to win their teams hadn't the highest wage bill in the league (juventus in serie A, Porto in UCL).
at all. they both won as underdogs.
then they made themselves a name, the clubs began to spend big for them because they deserved it, for their results.

you are in football for the memories and happiness: imagine what a memory would be to win the EPL.
the hope of winning something is far better than the hope to play a watchable football and win nothing IMO. also the most important players, at the end of the day, want to win trophies they don't want to entertain their fans and win nothing (Kane loves us at the highest level possible, but likely he will go in another club, to win something)

Is it really the case that you can't back home? Trying to recall Managers that have returned to a club for a second stint and their success or failure in their second time in charge...

Mourinho at Chelsea - 1st season, 3rd in League and Semi-finals of CL. 2nd season won the League and League Cup. 3rd season was a disaster.

Ancelotti at Real Madrid - Won the League, SuperCup, and Champions League last year. Disappointing 2nd season this year, but still in the CL Quarters.

Zidane at Real Madrid - 1st season, Won the League and SuperCup. Disappointing 2nd season.

Allegri at Juve - 4th in League last year and currently 7th this season.

Any other obvious examples at big clubs in recent memory?

Looking at these 4 examples, 3 of them have had some success, but none have been long term solutions for their Clubs. If we're hoping that Poch could bring several years of stability to Spurs, the above examples suggest that a second stint with a club would be shorter than their first stint.

when mourinho and conte have started to win their teams hadn't the highest wage bill in the league (juventus in serie A, Porto in UCL).
at all. they both won as underdogs.
then they made themselves a name, the clubs began to spend big for them because they deserved it, for their results.

you are in football for the memories and happiness: imagine what a memory would be to win the EPL.
the hope of winning something is far better than the hope to play a watchable football and win nothing IMO. also the most important players, at the end of the day, want to win trophies they don't want to entertain their fans and win nothing (Kane loves us at the highest level possible, but likely he will go in another club, to win something)
Apologies Conte had the 3rd highest the first season but the difference between them and AC were negligible. Inter also had higher wage bill because of a lot of the Mourinho signings on high wages entering the twilight of their career.

Tempted by Kompany after seeing this. He has more about him than I thought.

Funny thing is, I saw that video earlier in the season and rated it.

Now i watch it and it looks a bit staged and almost like his fire went out very quickly. Could be a conscious tactic to keep their attention and stop them zoning out.

Was more impressed by the way he spoke on World Cup panels. I wonder how many fans would have the patience needed to stick by Kompany whilst he learned to get results in the prem?

Villa fans didn't with Gerrard.

Apologies Conte had the 3rd highest the first season but the difference between them and AC were negligible. Inter also had higher wage bill because of a lot of the Mourinho signings on high wages entering the twilight of their career.
a good part of the top wages in the first season was of players out of the project. besides conte created value in his 3 years, because players like pogba and vidal were sold for a lot of money.
and the same he did at Inter, because he made them spend a lot with lukaku, hakimi but those players were sold for higher prices, so conte was a double bless for them, because he won after 10 years and he created value meanwhile (skriniar, barella, bastoni, lautaro martinez)

mourinho won everything in 2 years at Inter. ask their fans if they have some good memories of that period

Funny thing is, I saw that video earlier in the season and rated it.

Now i watch it and it looks a bit staged and almost like his fire went out very quickly. Could be a conscious tactic to keep their attention and stop them zoning out.

Was more impressed by the way he spoke on World Cup panels. I wonder how many fans would have the patience needed to stick by Kompany whilst he learned to get results in the prem?

Villa fans didn't with Gerrard.
I agree.

I think people are reading way too much into that clip of kompany, Gerrard warnock have all been videoed doing that too to little effect,

I’d fact I’d say every manager after an embarrassing defeat does it.

Applaud his tactics for sure just the video I’m a bit whatever to

Is it really the case that you can't back home? Trying to recall Managers that have returned to a club for a second stint and their success or failure in their second time in charge...

Mourinho at Chelsea - 1st season, 3rd in League and Semi-finals of CL. 2nd season won the League and League Cup. 3rd season was a disaster.

Ancelotti at Real Madrid - Won the League, SuperCup, and Champions League last year. Disappointing 2nd season this year, but still in the CL Quarters.

Zidane at Real Madrid - 1st season, Won the League and SuperCup. Disappointing 2nd season.

Allegri at Juve - 4th in League last year and currently 7th this season.

Any other obvious examples at big clubs in recent memory?

Looking at these 4 examples, 3 of them have had some success, but none have been long term solutions for their Clubs. If we're hoping that Poch could bring several years of stability to Spurs, the above examples suggest that a second stint with a club would be shorter than their first stint.

Moyes at Spam: Avoided relegation then became "massive" for a season in his second stint, but now re-visiting the familiar territory of a relegation battle, :freund:

Re: The Kompany/City thing..... It's not so much the idea that "ah, well if he leaves Spurs for them it means he'd have been doing a good job"; it the fact that it'll remain nagging away in the background throughout his time here........... It threatens to cast a shadow over all involved. We saw how Gerrard/Villa was viewed (and we had our own taste of a not entirely dis-similar dynamic with Poch & Madrid).

Back
Top Bottom