Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
serious concerns about having the players to fit this kind of system, but parts of me misses the back 4!

Can Porro/Udogie/Spence handle playing in a back 4?

We're going to need a big time investment in a LCB because we obviously don't have that player on our current squad.

How good can a midfield 3 of Bentancur/Bissouma/Skipp be?

I dunno, seems like we'd yet another course change for a manager...
No matter what manager takes charge we need another CB and creative midfielder

serious concerns about having the players to fit this kind of system, but parts of me misses the back 4!

Can Porro/Udogie/Spence handle playing in a back 4?

We're going to need a big time investment in a LCB because we obviously don't have that player on our current squad.

How good can a midfield 3 of Bentancur/Bissouma/Skipp be?

I dunno, seems like we'd yet another course change for a manager...
Porro can play RB in a back 4 and Davies would at leas be serviceable at LB. Definelty would need a LCB to replace Dier - maybe we could make a run at Kim-jin Mae. I think that midfield 3 would be good, and we have some good options with Sarr as well.

Oh my god it's actually going to be Luis Enrique isn't it? This club.

I wouldn't get too bogged down in that mate... All there's been in a Times article claiming he would be interested..... Twitterati have 'run and spun' with the rest.

There is nothing wrong with a manager only staying 3 years. If anything, we should be targeting that approach. Players get tired of managers, managers get burnt out, if anything, it's expecting long-term managers that is the odd idea. The issue is the club needs a consistent direction beyond the manager. The idea needs to be that we will always be playing attacking football around a particular style, and we hire the best available manager for the next 2-3 years who will coach that style of football and is comfortable with our requirements to play the kids and accept that our transfers will not be for specific peak-age players, but for young players fitting particular roles that will need to be trained. And when that guy is done, we go on to the next one, without panicking or drama, because we know that's how things will be done. If we stumble on the next Nicholson or Pochettino in the meantime, great, but the club should not be trying to find that guy, as that's impossible.

Honestly, I could see it happening. The reaction on here would be fantastic
I think that Mason is clearly being groomed for a role in management. Either he moves on an earns experience somewhere else before coming back. Or he slots into the role as the eternal interim/failsafe. Where he gets to work either as part of the coaching staff or in the youth setup, but gets called upon to fill the interim role when required. Like Heynkes at Bayern or Hiddink at Chelsea.

I wouldn't get too bogged down in that mate... All there's been in a Times article claiming he would be interested..... Twitterati have 'run and spun' with the rest.

I fucking hope it's standard internet bullshit. I'd rather we gave Conte a new contract ffs.*

(ok MAYBE not but I do think he's a better manager... for me Enrique ticks none of the boxes I'd want. I.e someone dedicated to the club a bit longer term, someone who wants to play entertaining football & someone who can operate on a bit of a budget..)

I also think our squad would be god-awful for a pure possession approach.

I fucking hope it's standard internet bullshit. I'd rather we gave Conte a new contract ffs.*

(ok MAYBE not but I do think he's a better manager... for me Enrique ticks none of the boxes I'd want. I.e someone dedicated to the club a bit longer term, someone who wants to play entertaining football & someone who can operate on a bit of a budget..)

I also think our squad would be god-awful for a pure possession approach.

Doesn't get me jazzed either.

Now we've only got 1 day a week, we're gonna get a lot of filler from those that leach a living off of Spurs in the media.

Neither of Conte or Poch. I’d like to see a young manager that will look towards a long term project and rebuilding the squad, no more has beens please
Gallardo it is, then. If we're not going the Poch route, which I'm quite ambivalent about, Gallardo should be the one we bring in.

He adapts his system to the players he has available and to the opposition and has his players ready to step in at any time.
Over the past five years there are a dozen more examples of him naming a surprise player or formation to counter the specific circumstances the team found itself in. He will never be accused of being inflexible, and many consider him the most adaptable of all Latin American managers. No one is assured of a starting role at River Plate, but every player has a role when it comes time to step up. Gallardo has built a squad of players that can come in at any moment.

He is great at in-game management.
His use of the bench is also legendary, and he has won many critical games with goals from substitutes. In one example, the cameras record him outlining to a substitute exactly the goal he wants the team to score after an upcoming tactical switch. Five minutes later, the goal is replicated almost precisely as the manager had envisioned it.

He has no problem rotating players when they're not performing.
Gallardo is not beyond playing a youth player over an experienced one if the youth player is showing well in practice, and he is famously loath to guarantee playing time to aging stars that make their return to River, valuing them for their experience and leadership instead.

He improves players.
In his years in charge of River Plate, the players fight for playing time but play for the cause. Not one player has left the team since Gallardo’s arrival without stating they are better players.

He knows how to win big games
Another of Gallardo’s greatest strengths is his ability to motivate players. His River sides will forever be remembered for their capacity to prepare perfectly for big cup nights and produce their best performances. He has instilled a mentality in his squad whereby the crunch matches invite players to rise to the occasion, not freeze under pressure.

He instills a winning culture and puts team first.
Above tactics, titles, and players, Gallardo has created a winning culture at River Plate on the back of dedication, honor, and professionalism. Gallardo usually begins his day at 7 a.m. and leaves at 8 p.m., and his players are fine-tuned machines who work, eat, and understand the importance of the team.

He creates an identity at the club he's at that the players and fans relate to.
Representation is another concept the ex-Nacional coach puts a lot of emphasis on. When asked by the media about the crowd applauding his team off the pitch in victory and occasionally in defeat, he often replies that they clearly feel the team represents them. He explains they see a certain method of play, an attitude, and a professionalism that makes them feel represented. It’s clear that he values this idea greatly.
Gallardo
and his close assistants, Matias Biscay and Hernan Buján, directed an integrated youth system where they were closely involved in the progression of River youngsters as young as 11.
All youth games are recorded so that they can watch any game any of the youth teams play at any time, and they schedule quarterly meetings with the coaches at each level to coordinate closely on development.
The idea the club has is to teach young kids a certain style and philosophy, which can be replicated all the way up to the first team. Gallardo hopes that his biggest legacy will be to leave River in good hands way beyond his stint as manager, and he can often be seen at reserve or youth matches when his commitments to the first team allow him

And he is recognized by the best player and one of the best managers in the world as being elite (comments from 2019).
Lionel Messi nominated him as one of the top three managers in the world in the recent The Best awards, and Pep Guardiola despaired that Gallardo was not nominated, saying that his work is incredible and undervalued simply because it is not happening in Europe. “He gives them consistency year after year even though they lose players. I don’t understand how he’s never nominated” said the Catalan.

Our squad isn’t ready for Enrique ball but levy wants top 4 so he wouldn’t hire him if he wasn’t going to get him players for his system. It would be a waste of his time and money.

That doesn’t mean we do a complete overhaul of the squad this summer but I’m sure he’ll get a few players in.

Our squad isn’t ready for Enrique ball but levy wants top 4 so he wouldn’t hire him if he wasn’t going to get him players for his system. It would be a waste of his time and money.

That doesn’t mean we do a complete overhaul of the squad this summer but I’m sure he’ll get a few players in.
Why is the squad not being “right” for Enrique a bad thing? We all agree we need a rebuild and a long-term project, so basing that rebuild around his philosophy will mean recruiting better, more technical footballers.

And the same can be said for any manager that we’re linked with!

Why is the squad not being “right” for Enrique a bad thing? We all agree we need a rebuild and a long-term project, so basing that rebuild around his philosophy will mean recruiting better, more technical footballers.

And the same can be said for any manager that we’re linked with!

Let's hope Enrique is ready for a 5 year project then, in that time he will lose Kane and Son

Next few years are going to be bleak and we need a manager who will be able to stick it out for the long term.

Gallardo it is, then. If we're not going the Poch route, which I'm quite ambivalent about, Gallardo should be the one we bring in.

He adapts his system to the players he has available and to the opposition and has his players ready to step in at any time.
Over the past five years there are a dozen more examples of him naming a surprise player or formation to counter the specific circumstances the team found itself in. He will never be accused of being inflexible, and many consider him the most adaptable of all Latin American managers. No one is assured of a starting role at River Plate, but every player has a role when it comes time to step up. Gallardo has built a squad of players that can come in at any moment.

He is great at in-game management.
His use of the bench is also legendary, and he has won many critical games with goals from substitutes. In one example, the cameras record him outlining to a substitute exactly the goal he wants the team to score after an upcoming tactical switch. Five minutes later, the goal is replicated almost precisely as the manager had envisioned it.

He has no problem rotating players when they're not performing.
Gallardo is not beyond playing a youth player over an experienced one if the youth player is showing well in practice, and he is famously loath to guarantee playing time to aging stars that make their return to River, valuing them for their experience and leadership instead.

He improves players.
In his years in charge of River Plate, the players fight for playing time but play for the cause. Not one player has left the team since Gallardo’s arrival without stating they are better players.

He knows how to win big games
Another of Gallardo’s greatest strengths is his ability to motivate players. His River sides will forever be remembered for their capacity to prepare perfectly for big cup nights and produce their best performances. He has instilled a mentality in his squad whereby the crunch matches invite players to rise to the occasion, not freeze under pressure.

He instills a winning culture and puts team first.
Above tactics, titles, and players, Gallardo has created a winning culture at River Plate on the back of dedication, honor, and professionalism. Gallardo usually begins his day at 7 a.m. and leaves at 8 p.m., and his players are fine-tuned machines who work, eat, and understand the importance of the team.

He creates an identity at the club he's at that the players and fans relate to.
Representation is another concept the ex-Nacional coach puts a lot of emphasis on. When asked by the media about the crowd applauding his team off the pitch in victory and occasionally in defeat, he often replies that they clearly feel the team represents them. He explains they see a certain method of play, an attitude, and a professionalism that makes them feel represented. It’s clear that he values this idea greatly.
Gallardo
and his close assistants, Matias Biscay and Hernan Buján, directed an integrated youth system where they were closely involved in the progression of River youngsters as young as 11.
All youth games are recorded so that they can watch any game any of the youth teams play at any time, and they schedule quarterly meetings with the coaches at each level to coordinate closely on development.
The idea the club has is to teach young kids a certain style and philosophy, which can be replicated all the way up to the first team. Gallardo hopes that his biggest legacy will be to leave River in good hands way beyond his stint as manager, and he can often be seen at reserve or youth matches when his commitments to the first team allow him

And he is recognized by the best player and one of the best managers in the world as being elite (comments from 2019).
Lionel Messi nominated him as one of the top three managers in the world in the recent The Best awards, and Pep Guardiola despaired that Gallardo was not nominated, saying that his work is incredible and undervalued simply because it is not happening in Europe. “He gives them consistency year after year even though they lose players. I don’t understand how he’s never nominated” said the Catalan.
This sound exactly what we need

Back
Top Bottom