New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Valley used to be the biggest ground in England if I remember right. Kicked myself for leaving it too late to ever see it in all its splendour
It was. We had a cup tie there in the 80's and by then the ground was in advance stages of decay.
Charlton would get 10K crowds back then and the huge terrace was just used by mobs for those running battles across.

The Valley used to be the biggest ground in England if I remember right. Kicked myself for leaving it too late to ever see it in all its splendour
I saw us get beat 4-1 there in Oct 1977.

About 50 Wall made an appearance catching us by surprise. When the initial shock had worn off they got battered. Give them credit for audacity/front but it was a suicide mission really. A bit like when a couple of coach loads of ours went in the Roker.

I saw us get beat 4-1 there in Oct 1977.

About 50 Wall made an appearance catching us by surprise. When the initial shock had worn off they got battered. Give them credit for audacity/front but it was a suicide mission really. A bit like when a couple of coach loads of ours went in the Roker.
Never been to Sunderland, why was that a suicide mission? We had good showings in bigger terraces like the north Bank/holte end/Wednesday's kop

It was. We had a cup tie there in the 80's and by then the ground was in advance stages of decay.
Charlton would get 10K crowds back then and the huge terrace was just used by mobs for those running battles across.
I went there early 1979 for an evening kick v Palace (they were my local team so saw them alot in the 1970's).

Was standing opposite that vast terrace. I think it was empty apart from some bushes growing out of the cracks.

Record crowd there > 75,000. Only Chavski with the race track around had a bigger London crowd, 82,000.

I went there early 1979 for an evening kick v Palace (they were my local team so saw them alot in the 1970's).

Was standing opposite that vast terrace. I think it was empty apart from some bushes growing out of the cracks.

Record crowd there > 75,000. Only Chavski with the race track around had a bigger London crowd, 82,000.
42dd38467595fa18317485f5c49e11d2.jpg

It didn't really pay off to open it for small crowds, Birmingham City did the same with most of their big Kop and Wolves with the south bank (that's like 1\16 of the terrace)
1035_WOLV_v_OXF_1991_1.jpg

chavski, chances are it was 2000 with the other 80k claiming to have been there, trying to pretend they aint a post abramovich plastic.

Stood on the Holte end v Leicester semi final. That and the Valley.
Went off inside the Valley too, at the other end if. Remember people,spilling onto the pitch

I think i am in the minority here,but i'm not getting excited about the new safe standing.
To me, the fun with standing was meeting your mates in the pub(or elsewhere when younger) having a laugh then continuing to do so altogether, inside the same part of the ground.The new safe standing is no different to modern seating,except you stand up.Its good to have the option, but for me its not what i loved about the old terraces.And they ain't ever coming back.
Will prices go down? Doubt it.

I think i am in the minority here,but i'm not getting excited about the new safe standing.
To me, the fun with standing was meeting your mates in the pub(or elsewhere when younger) having a laugh then continuing to do so altogether, inside the same part of the ground.The new safe standing is no different to modern seating,except you stand up.Its good to have the option, but for me its not what i loved about the old terraces.And they ain't ever coming back.
Will prices go down? Doubt it.
As you say it will never be what is was, but I think safe standing is a massive step in the right direction.

Even though last season WHL became a free for all with regards to standing, there have been many incidents with stewards being over militant.

8000 odd legally standing in the new ground gets my vote

As you say it will never be what is was, but I think safe standing is a massive step in the right direction.

Even though last season WHL became a free for all with regards to standing, there have been many incidents with stewards being over militant.

Maybe i need to see it in action to be convinced. It's certainly gets the popular vote,so got to be a good thing.

Maybe i need to see it in action to be convinced. It's certainly gets the popular vote,so got to be a good thing.
I think the main thing whether we sit or stand is the organization behind the relocating of fans.

Most new grounds end up crap due to the relocation and spreading out of vocal fans.
Woolwich use that excuse but they've always been shit, but I think it is factor in City and West Ham being so diabolical straight after moving.
City have little excuse though now after what ten years in the new place.

Spurs have worked tirelessly on the atmosphere aspect and consulting about fan location, but at the end of the day it's down to people to sing.

I'd like to think standing up like the old days might help with that a bit.

Im all for it, though I would probably never use it due to having old knackered legs
used to love it back in the day. always having my spot on the terrace. (east lower, close to the park lane end pillar)..funnily, when i had a season ticket post all seating, it was about a yard away from where i always tried to stand. I was well happy when i realised that

Back
Top Bottom