New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Trouble is, i think we have forgotten what they felt like.
Yes Sean, indeed, but when you were embarking on a day that, when you applied common sense to it was almost certain to result in a draw or a defeat, it never seemed to put anyone off. You couldn’t watch on TV in those days, so the only way to watch Spurs was to go, and you became hardened to the likelihood of a draw or worse, but you were in the company of friends so it didn’t seem so bad. The Spurs experience is somewhat diluted when you’re chucking your Cheerios at the TV in your dressing gown and swearing at the dog at 4 in the morning.

Yes Sean, indeed, but when you were embarking on a day that, when you applied common sense to it was almost certain to result in a draw or a defeat, it never seemed to put anyone off. You couldn’t watch on TV in those days, so the only way to watch Spurs was to go, and you became hardened to the likelihood of a draw or worse, but you were in the company of friends so it didn’t seem so bad. The Spurs experience is somewhat diluted when you’re chucking your Cheerios at the TV in your dressing gown and swearing at the dog at 4 in the morning.
Agree 100%
Was at a gig in Southend on Saturday with an old spurs mate.And he said we had loads of great days out only slightly ruined by the result .
Summed up being a Spurs fan at the time
I wouldn't change a thing...Well i would, but you know what i mean :)

This is very interesting considering they were one of the big names being considered for naming rights a while back, and were reportedly very close at the time to signing it off, but preferred their association with Rugby.

Could be indication of a reversal of that position?

The increase in commercial partnerships over the last couple of seasons is clear for all to see. There's clearly been a massive effort made by the club o tap into these markets and revenue streams. I'd love to see how many commercial partnership deals we've signed up to over the last 3-4 years compared to the previous 3-4, it seems like we've had a fair few.

Monster, Hugo Boss, e-Toro, Monster, HSBC, Audi all very decent brands in all honesty. These areas as well as the clubs infrastructure are vastly important this day and age, especially with TV revenue being handed out equally across all 20 clubs instead of positional increases.

The increase in commercial partnerships over the last couple of seasons is clear for all to see. There's clearly been a massive effort made by the club o tap into these markets and revenue streams. I'd love to see how many commercial partnership deals we've signed up to over the last 3-4 years compared to the previous 3-4, it seems like we've had a fair few.

Monster, Hugo Boss, e-Toro, Monster, HSBC, Audi all very decent brands in all honesty. These areas as well as the clubs infrastructure are vastly important this day and age, especially with TV revenue being handed out equally across all 20 clubs instead of positional increases.

These are our current partners, a major step up in quality (and no doubt fees) in the last five years

Our Partners | Tottenham Hotspur

Still got a way to go compared to this mob though

Man Utd Global Partners & Sponsors

Had an interesting conversation about our NFL deal ... it's often been reported that we share catering and merchandising profit with the NFL, indeed I posted something similar a while back, turns out that's not true. The NFL pay a low flat rental fee to use the stadium for each game, but all of the food, drink and merchandising profit goes to us. That could be several million per game, over 1m in beer sales alone for the first game, and that was expected to increase yesterday .... that's serious money

Last edited:
These are our current partners, a major step up in quality (and no doubt fees) in the last five years

Had an interesting conversation about our NFL deal ... it's often been reported that we share catering and merchandising profit with the NFL, indeed I posted something similar a while back, turns out that's not true. The NFL pay a low flat rental fee to use the stadium for each game, but all of the food, drink and merchandising profit goes to us. That could be several million per game, over 1m in beer sales alone for the first game, and that was expected to increase yesterday .... that's serious money

16 partnerships at present- AIA, Nike, HSBC, Hewlett Packard, William Hill, Fun88, Betway, Audi, Etoro, Heineken, Monster, Kumho Tyres, EA Sports, IWC Schaffhausen, Hotels.com, Hugo Boss

Man U apparently have 24 at present, so it's a great step we've taken to get to 16. Knowing we still have two huge opportunities available with sleeve sponsor and satdium sponsor, as well as a truly unique opportunity for both a PL and NFL market globally, that stadium sponsor will only go for top whack, of that I am absolutely certain now seeing the reviews the NFL has given us over the past couple of weeks.

I do think that we have probably pushed an NFL franchise closer to London than ever before. I do think we will see something pretty special happen with the stadium and the exposure it would get, especially if the London franchise does kick in will more than make up on the lost time we've had on a name to date.

If people like it or not this is the long game the club is playing on. Trophies are vitally important but how people don't see that these commercial partnerships help us compete on a level where we can spar with the big boys long term I'll never understand. It is absolutely crucial for us, especially in a time where so much money is flying around in the game. We've positioned ourselves so uniquely that I'm really impressed with the genius behind it. I'm not saying I hugely agre that this is the route I would have liked to see but it's an untapped market,we are talking an untapped European market with the NFL and having our name associated with that brings in new fan blood for our club for generations ahead. It's a blinding move and one I think can only be valued once all of the green shoots of its future start to truly be seen and experienced. The NFL franchise is huge money to us not just commercially but on a marketing level and as ways to draw new fanbases into our club. Ho knows if it ultimately will be good or bad for our status in the game but I don't think anyone can argue with how smart these tactics for growth have been and how well we've implemented it to date, bar the hiccups with opening delays.

It's the biggest area for improvement off the field. The only true area that we are absolutely miles and miles behind the other clubs (Man U, Man City (fixed), Chelsea (fixed), Liverpool. We are catching Woolwich but their new Adidas kit deal will move the needle away from us again).

But as you rightly point out there is clearly some progress in this area. We will probably remain behind Liverpool, Man U & Woolwich by virtue of supporter size worldwide.

16 partnerships at present- AIA, Nike, HSBC, Hewlett Packard, William Hill, Fun88, Betway, Audi, Etoro, Heineken, Monster, Kumho Tyres, EA Sports, IWC Schaffhausen, Hotels.com, Hugo Boss

Man U apparently have 24 at present, so it's a great step we've taken to get to 16. Knowing we still have two huge opportunities available with sleeve sponsor and satdium sponsor, as well as a truly unique opportunity for both a PL and NFL market globally, that stadium sponsor will only go for top whack, of that I am absolutely certain now seeing the reviews the NFL has given us over the past couple of weeks.

I do think that we have probably pushed an NFL franchise closer to London than ever before. I do think we will see something pretty special happen with the stadium and the exposure it would get, especially if the London franchise does kick in will more than make up on the lost time we've had on a name to date.

If people like it or not this is the long game the club is playing on. Trophies are vitally important but how people don't see that these commercial partnerships help us compete on a level where we can spar with the big boys long term I'll never understand. It is absolutely crucial for us, especially in a time where so much money is flying around in the game. We've positioned ourselves so uniquely that I'm really impressed with the genius behind it. I'm not saying I hugely agre that this is the route I would have liked to see but it's an untapped market,we are talking an untapped European market with the NFL and having our name associated with that brings in new fan blood for our club for generations ahead. It's a blinding move and one I think can only be valued once all of the green shoots of its future start to truly be seen and experienced. The NFL franchise is huge money to us not just commercially but on a marketing level and as ways to draw new fanbases into our club. Ho knows if it ultimately will be good or bad for our status in the game but I don't think anyone can argue with how smart these tactics for growth have been and how well we've implemented it to date, bar the hiccups with opening delays.
There's more...

WHL lifts now working.

Rather think the 12 trains through Northumberland Park station is an increase.

No news yet on the date of introduction of new trains ( which have already started to be rolled out elsewhere in the Greater Anglia franchise area) other than sometime in the next 12 months, but that will be another boost to getting people way after the match.

This is very interesting considering they were one of the big names being considered for naming rights a while back, and were reportedly very close at the time to signing it off, but preferred their association with Rugby.

Could be indication of a reversal of that position?

Tottenham partner with one of the world's biggest banks - and hope to create thousands of new jobs
14 October 2019 9:25 AM
Photo: Getty Images With assets of US$2,751bn at 30 June 2019, HSBC is one of the world’s largest banking and financial services organisations.
Tottenham Hotspur have announced a new multi-year partnership with one of the world's largest banks, HSBC.
The two parties will engage fans through co-created digital campaigns and HSBC will support the club's regeneration of the local area through sport-related initiatives.
Through its experience and expertise, HSBC will help the club create thousands of new jobs by way of Spurs' stadium development scheme.

CHRISTIAN FOMSGAARD JENSEN [email protected]

Tottenham Hotspur have announced a new five-year partnership with one of the world's largest banking and financial services organisations, HSBC, as their new official banking partner for both the men's and women's teams.
The partnership is limited to the UK and Hong Kong, HSBC's two home markets. As part of the deal, the two parties will engage fans through co-created digital campaigns and HSBC will play a supportive role in the club's regeneration of the North London district of Tottenham through sport-related initiatives.

Tottenham announce massive extension of AIA partnership
26 July 2019 9:18 AM

"We have developed a strong relationship with HSBC over a number of years and this new partnership is a natural expansion of this. The Club is committed to supporting the continued regeneration of Tottenham and we look forward to integrating HSBC into our existing employment and education programmes, as well as creating impactful new initiatives together," said Fran Jones, Tottenham Hotspur's head of partnerships.
Thousands of new jobs
According to the club, their stadium development scheme will support 3,500 new jobs across a range of industries to help enhance the lives of those in the local community through education, employment, health and social inclusion programmes; areas that HSBC will support with its experience and expertise - something Jonathan Castleman, HSBC's global head of brand partnerships, is happy to help with.
"The deal provides us with an opportunity to connect with new and existing customers. We've always believed that sport has an amazing power to bring people together, promote physical and mental wellbeing and drive inclusion, so we are excited to be working with Tottenham Hotspur," said Castleman.

Why Tottenham’s kit deal is worth a lot less than Big Six rivals
29 March 2019 11:42 AM

The 3,500 potential new jobs are expected to pump £293 million into the local economy each year and £166 million in local spending per year, write the club.
Neither of the two parties have disclosed the value of the deal.

With that type of arrangement on NFL merchandise it means that all profits on NFL merchandise throughout the year will also go to Spurs.

Whilst I'd guess that outside of NFL matches (when merchandise sales might be 90% NFL and 10% Spurs,) in the other 50 weeks of the year it's more like 5% or 10% NFL sales and 90% to 95% Spurs the NFL sales in the other 50 weeks might well be another £5m or so - all nice extra money from the NFL contract.

Long term of course I could see a few more NFL matches coming, being moved from Wembley, and even a franchise in years to come . All meaning an increase in revenues in years to come.

WHL lifts now working.

Rather think the 12 trains through Northumberland Park station is an increase.

No news yet on the date of introduction of new trains ( which have already started to be rolled out elsewhere in the Greater Anglia franchise area) other than sometime in the next 12 months, but that will be another boost to getting people way after the match.
Out of interest has anyone had any trouble getting away from the ground?

For me, I think it's easier than old WHL as I have remained in the stadium every single game we've played. That's varied from a quick drink a bite to eat and several drinks. I've opted to the odd cycle (met up with White Van Jan White Van Jan and a very enjoyable day that was) to catching the train at Tottenham Hale, never been a queue, not once!

Spurs stadium repayments is almost £50 million a year – but the increase in matchday income is even bigger
25 March 2019 7:55 AM
Photo: Getty Images Tottenham Hotspurs' new stadium was tested on Sunday in a U/18 match with a big crowd watching. Repayments of the stadium loan is almost £50 million a year for Spurs - but the increase in matchday income is even bigger.
New calculations on the stadium repayments. Seems like the club can spend money in the summer transfer market.
Spurs have the opportunity to do what Manchester United did a few years ago by converting some of the loan to bonds.
Still the annual accounts from the club in april will offer more info on the increased stadium building costs.

ALEX MILLER [email protected]

Tottenham’s £637 million stadium debt will cost the club an estimated £50 million a year in interest and loan repayments.
Leading sports-based accountants have estimated that the club will have to pay £47.8 million a year in repayments.
The calculations have been based on information the club have given to date.
The club’s loan facility from Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs and HSBC stands at £637 million - it was increased from £400 million in October 2018.
Interest rate might have gone up
Although terms have not been confirmed, the previous £400 million facility had an interest rate close to 3.5 per cent, while the increased loan appears to be a simple extension of the previous loan, which has a final repayment in 2022.
Accountants, who wished to remain anonymous, told offthepitch.com they believed the structure of the increased facility has remained the same  and that the financing was secured by the new stadium and related commercial and match day revenues.
The club will earn additional income if they manage to attract a stadium-naming partner, plus NFL games and non-sporting events, such as concerts.
The interest rate on the increased loan may have gone up following increases in the Bank of England base rate since 2017.
Based on the club drawing down the full £637 million loan facility - and that the previous interest rate of 3.5 per cent has been maintained - the club will have to pay back £22.3 million a year in interest.
Working on the basis that the club pay back the £637 million loan amount over 25 years, Spurs will pay back a further £25.5 million a year to reduce the loan amount.
Combined, Spurs will have to pay annual finance costs of £47.8 million.
Renenues will dramatically increase
However, these amounts (repayments and interest payments) would fall every year, as the outstanding debt amount decreases.
Spurs’ final season at White Hart Lane (with Champions League games played at Wembley) produced match day revenues of £45.3 million.
The new stadium will dramatically increase the club’s revenues.
Spurs officials have said they expect £100 million in match day revenues at the new stadium, in line with what Woolwich make from the Emirates.
That represents a £55 million a year revenue increase - more than enough to cover the stadium repayments.
The club will earn additional income if they manage to attract a stadium-naming partner, plus NFL games and non-sporting events, such as concerts.
Included in the accounts could be additional annual costs related to the increases in stadium building costs.
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has also confirmed the club want to refinance the loan by converting some of the loan into bonds (as Manchester United did in 2010, when they raised £500 million) at the end of the loan deal.
Reducing payments gradually
If successful, that would raise money by offering to pay it back to investors on a specific date and to make periodic interest payments at lower interest rates than banks command.
That method could be a way of reducing the club’s repayments below the £47.8 million a year figure, affording the club greater cashflow.
The club may shed more light on the debt structure in their next set of accounts, which are expected to be published at the beginning of April. Included in the accounts could be additional annual costs related to the increases in stadium building costs.
Experts close to the build have estimated the final stadium build costs could reach £1.2 billion - although the club has refuted that estimate.
The club will continue to spend money on the stadium build until summer 2020, when a final costing will be possible.

Back
Top Bottom