New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pretty sure all the top teams relay their pitch every summer

Don't think so. Just when it's needed to, i.e. when it's worn out, new drainage system added or been damaged by concerts and stuff. The retractable pitch should actually increase the longevity of the pitch and need less relays.

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that there was an issue with the artificial fibres. It looked terrible from the outset and players were slipping a lot on it.

The turf is supposed to replicate that at the training ground.

Don't think so. Just when it's needed to, i.e. when it's worn out, new drainage system added or been damaged by concerts and stuff. The retractable pitch should actually increase the longevity of the pitch and need less relays.

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that there was an issue with the artificial fibres. It looked terrible from the outset and players were slipping a lot on it.

The turf is supposed to replicate that at the training ground.
Copied from a 2016 Manchester News article:
"It has become common practice for the club (Citeh) to relay the pitch after a summer of shows."

Daily Mail, 2015:
"It is the annual shaving and reseeding of the pitch at Old Trafford."

Daily Mirror, 2017:
"It is the first time in three years the pitch (Anfield) has been relayed - after building works on the Main Stadium prevented a fresh batch of turf in the last two summers."

Can't think of any other top-flight UK clubs.

Copied from a 2016 Manchester News article:
"It has become common practice for the club (Citeh) to relay the pitch after a summer of shows."

Daily Mail, 2015:
"It is the annual shaving and reseeding of the pitch at Old Trafford."

Daily Mirror, 2017:
"It is the first time in three years the pitch (Anfield) has been relayed - after building works on the Main Stadium prevented a fresh batch of turf in the last two summers."

Can't think of any other top-flight UK clubs.

Yeah, City have to do if because of the show's they do, United just reseed it. Anfield hosts shows every Summer these days so they'll have to start doing it every year. Woolwich last did theirs in 2016 when the had to cancel the Emirates cup.

We'll only ever have football games on ours so should have to do it less often.

That's bollocks. They relaid the pitch because the last one was a fuck up. The artificial fibres didn't bed in properly so it cut up a lot. Why would the the club throw money away to re-lay a pitch every season?

Honestly I don't know it's just what I was told, however when you think about it it's a bloody good job our suppliers in Holland had taken a massive gamble and spent six months preparing a whole new pitch on the "off chance" we might need it ... phew now that was lucky.

So maybe not every year, although a lot of clubs do that, but certainly this summer's relay was always in the clubs plans.

Honestly I don't know it's just what I was told, however when you think about it it's a bloody good job our suppliers in Holland had taken a massive gamble and spent six months preparing a whole new pitch on the "off chance" we might need it ... phew now that was lucky.

So maybe not every year, although a lot of clubs do that, but certainly this summer's relay was always in the clubs plans.

You don't need to relay a pitch that's had half a dozen games on it. It was relaid because it was a fucked up installation, I read multiple sources stating such. Never the plan to relay it at all. I appreciate you've got your boy on the inside but did it ever occur to you that your boy is a bullshiter because most of the itk, oops I mean gossip, is mostly just embellishments of stuff you can read online.

You don't need to relay a pitch that's had half a dozen games on it. It was relaid because it was a fucked up installation, I read multiple sources stating such. Never the plan to relay it at all. I appreciate you've got your boy on the inside but did it ever occur to you that your boy is a bullshiter because most of the itk, oops I mean gossip, is mostly just embellishments of stuff you can read online.
Six months ago was right at the end of January. The pitch was already in at that point. Entirely possible that they already knew it wasn't great but didn't want to start again when the test events were potentially imminent.

Yeah, City have to do if because of the show's they do, United just reseed it. Anfield hosts shows every Summer these days so they'll have to start doing it every year. Woolwich last did theirs in 2016 when the had to cancel the Emirates cup.

We'll only ever have football games on ours so should have to do it less often.
When I went on the stadium tour a week or so ago, the guide was talking about having concerts at WHL, but I suppose we'll just tuck the grass away when we need to. Is that what you're saying?

Nope ....

But it did occur to me that you are just a bit dim ... we played in April and as you say the pitch may indeed have cut up nobody is denying that, now according to you we must have popped down some local garden centre at the end of the season and just bought a brand new one ready to lay in June.

The reality of course is that we must have ordered a new pitch months ago if we planned to relay the surface this summer ... so how do we know that?

Well it's pretty basic, it takes more than a couple of weekends to prepare 7,500 sqm of top quality EPL pitch ... according to our very own ground-staff it takes at least four months and ideally they would like six ....

But hey do I really care? you go ahead and believe what you want ......................

Nope ....

But it did occur to me that you are just a bit dim ... we played in April and as you say the pitch may indeed have cut up nobody is denying that, now according to you we must have popped down some local garden centre at the end of the season and just bought a brand new one ready to lay in June.

The reality of course is that we must have ordered a new pitch months ago if we planned to relay the surface this summer ... so how do we know that?

Well it's pretty basic, it takes more than a couple of weekends to prepare 7,500 sqm of top quality EPL pitch ... according to our very own ground-staff it takes at least four months and ideally they would like six ....

But hey do I really care? you go ahead and believe what you want ......................

It's truly amazing this stadium ever got built with the amount of gossiping that goes on at Lillywhite House. Maybe if you stopped gossiping with your boy, we'd get some transfers done.

Now I think I know why the new WHL railway station has got flower pots and giant glass louvres for its walls. It seems to be an historical reference (I might be wrong, though):

I don't mind it so much now, even though it's ugly.

Last edited:
Now I think I know why the new WHL railway station has got flower pots and giant glass louvres for its walls. It seems to be an historical reference (I might be wrong, though):

I don't mind it so much now, even though it's ugly.

I'm right. The area used to be clay pits & potteries, mainly for making flower pots....

Top Premier league pitches generally get re-laid every 1-2 seasons, unless there's a need for it to be done i.e. damage from concerts or excessive use (city, west ham and Liverpool) or poor sunlight like at Old Trafford and out old ground (less of a problem with the lamps they use these days). Also had heard our groundstaff was not happy with last season's pitch even when it was being trailed at the training ground.

Source: I work in grounds maintenance and a friend used to work for spurs groundstaff

6 of us going Sunday,and it's only me that's been to the new place yet.So i am all excited again because the others enthusiasm has rubbed off on me.
Really looking forward to it.
If you're anything like me, you'll be taking them round and pointing out the old centre spot, the shelf bar built from bricks from the old WHL, the brewery, etc..... I'm so proud of it, you would think I built it myself!

Top Premier league pitches generally get re-laid every 1-2 seasons, unless there's a need for it to be done i.e. damage from concerts or excessive use (city, west ham and Liverpool) or poor sunlight like at Old Trafford and out old ground (less of a problem with the lamps they use these days). Also had heard our groundstaff was not happy with last season's pitch even when it was being trailed at the training ground.

Source: I work in grounds maintenance and a friend used to work for spurs groundstaff
Well let's hope they figured it out! This isn't the first retractable grass surface so that shouldn't be the issue. The challenge was always the split trays.

Back
Top Bottom