New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With the NFL hype the past few weeks, and games to come in October, having it being played at The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is great for getting the club name out there to the US. Once it's rebranded to a sponsor name, hopefully everyone remembers who's ground it is.

I’d rather have the 15 million pounds from selling the name this year.

This was my view this week as we took some time out :).

y4mC0fSgqdXOdfEcIrNP6vmNdun_jJtNVMXDiBzZT0sEtDCURmJaT7xaUPYUQXGOGglSLiz37JXZv5qG4ldMpNVi0UVsYYbFR_PLy6dGw3rpGw0-49JddPdeJK-Qr_CE6kVLxHknJryLKnPqTBJIfin4e1r1sytWfzXZPA7uN2t5osHstP-CYaLNjylhPLV6UJGk_-E2UTivQig8rkPEQo6Yg

So do we think it's going to be the AIA Stadium too?

It was discussed at length and is definitely a possibility but we want a huge, enormous, unlimited hookers for life, type number, whilst AIA see that a crossover in having both shirt and stadium sponsorship would warrant a large discount ... that's not DL's style.

Let's face it we are loaded, we can afford to wait for the stadium to have full exposure, concerts, boxing and of course NFL ... 200m today or 300m next year? pretty sure we will wait ....

There was talk of a staggering 500m 30 year deal, that's nearly as good as the MetLife or Scotiabank deals, but until someone signs it's all just talk.

To put some perspective on these numbers - a superbowl add costs 2.5m for 30 seconds, so the superbowl brings in 200m in advertising for just one game ... if "The AIA Stadium" were ever to get the Superbowl then AIA would get not 2.5 minutes but hours, days and weeks of free advertising ... plus NFL viewing numbers are 90% US based, they pale into insignificance when compared to the EPL's worldwide audience.

Spending 500m to have your name slapped on a pile of steel and concrete might seem a bit daft, but in advertising terms for super brands it still represents pretty decent value ... much of the EPL is missing a trick, once Spurs get this over the line the rest will rush to follow ...

It was discussed at length and is definitely a possibility but we want a huge, enormous, unlimited hookers for life, type number, whilst AIA see that a crossover in having both shirt and stadium sponsorship would warrant a large discount ... that's not DL's style.

Let's face it we are loaded, we can afford to wait for the stadium to have full exposure, concerts, boxing and of course NFL ... 200m today or 300m next year? pretty sure we will wait ....

There was talk of a staggering 500m 30 year deal, that's nearly as good as the MetLife or Scotiabank deals, but until someone signs it's all just talk.

To put some perspective on these numbers - a superbowl add costs 2.5m for 30 seconds, so the superbowl brings in 200m in advertising for just one game ... if "The AIA Stadium" were ever to get the Superbowl then AIA would get not 2.5 minutes but hours, days and weeks of free advertising ... plus NFL viewing numbers are 90% US based, they pale into insignificance when compared to the EPL's worldwide audience.

Spending 500m to have your name slapped on a pile of steel and concrete might seem a bit daft, but in advertising terms for super brands it still represents pretty decent value ... much of the EPL is missing a trick, once Spurs get this over the line the rest will rush to follow ...

But all of this was a known quantity. The NFL deal was in place ages ago. Why are we choosing between 200M today and 300M next year? If 300M next year can be done, we should be getting 300M now. The stadium and associated events around it didn't spring up overnight.

Furthermore, we just played in the CL final and have qualified for the CL for 4 consecutive years. While I certainly hope we kick on to bigger and better things, the smart money would suggest that this is a purple patch that will be hard to maintain. NOW is the time to be cashing in on this.

Burning a year of sponsorship money because we weren't able to get the right deal across the line is a failure of management, pure and simple. Can you imagine if we didn't have a shirt sponsor this year because we were waiting for the right deal?

Last edited:
But all of this was a known quantity. The NFL deal was in place ages ago. Why are we choosing between 200M today and 300M next year? If 300M next year can be done, we should be getting 300M now. The stadium and associated events around it didn't spring up overnight.

Furthermore, we just played in the CL final and have qualified for the CL for 4 consecutive years. While I certainly hope we kick on to bigger and better things, the smart money would suggest that this is a purple patch that will be hard to maintain. NOW is the time to be cashing in on this.

Burning a year of sponsorship money because we weren't able to get the right deal across the line is a failure of management, pure and simple. Can you imagine if we didn't have a shirt sponsor this year because we were waiting for the right deal?

There's a huge difference between potential and seeing it with your own eyes, would you buy the "next best thing" based on promised future performance? If you would then probably 50% of the time you've wasted your money ... when you're signing up for 20, 25 or even 30 years damn sure you're going to want to see the thing you're spending 300m on in action first ... the NFL is a crucial part of the double header solution have you seen that working yet?

You statement "a failure of management, pure and simple" is just an indication of your total lack of understanding around the subject ... but then endless negativity is your thing so you just run with it

There's a huge difference between potential and seeing it with your own eyes, would you buy the "next best thing" based on promised future performance? If you would then probably 50% of the time you've wasted your money ... when you're signing up for 20, 25 or even 30 years damn sure you're going to want to see the thing you're spending 300m on in action first ... the NFL is a crucial part of the double header solution have you seen that working yet?

You statement "a failure of management, pure and simple" is just an indication of your total lack of understanding around the subject ... but then endless negativity is your thing so you just run with it

Very silly and the personal attack is uncalled for. I am certainly not endlessly negative so not sure where you're getting that.

I have a very positive opinion of Levy, but he has dropped the ball here. Initial discussions should've been underway for naming rights 2 years ago. The stadium has been live for everybody to see since April. The fact that we haven't played an NFL game yet is a weak excuse. That's not how business people work--they understand the stadium will work just fine for the NFL and what that is worth. You don't need to see every use case of a stadium to appropriately value it. Once we opened it for football, it was proven.

The only slack I'll cut management on this is that a big commitment like this has to be put into a sponsor's strategic business plan and then budgeted for, and that takes a bit of time. We didn't help ourselves at all with the construction delays.

Very silly and the personal attack is uncalled for. I am certainly not endlessly negative so not sure where you're getting that.

I have a very positive opinion of Levy, but he has dropped the ball here. Initial discussions should've been underway for naming rights 2 years ago. The stadium has been live for everybody to see since April. The fact that we haven't played an NFL game yet is a weak excuse. That's not how business people work--they understand the stadium will work just fine for the NFL and what that is worth. You don't need to see every use case of a stadium to appropriately value it. Once we opened it for football, it was proven.

The only slack I'll cut management on this is that a big commitment like this has to be put into a sponsor's strategic business plan and then budgeted for, and that takes a bit of time. We didn't help ourselves at all with the construction delays.

Think you have missed the point.

A big part of the sponsorship money is for the US market, and they have not seen the stadium much. They'll have had a much better view next season.

Whilst there have been talks going for a couple of years re stadium sponsorship, I know of nobody who wasnt gobsmacked when the stadium actually opened - whatever the presentation said, the real stadium just blew the presentation and architect drawings away.

So just wait until the us advertising market sees the stadium on TV and in real life.....and some of the clients of the potential sponsors go to matches...as they are the guys the stadium naming rights sponsor wants to impress.

I hope it runs faster that the first one they laid which looked very, very slow to me (dry and long) which is the opposite to how we usually have our pitch.
The fact that we relaid it after 7 matches tells me the groundskeeper was none to pleased with the first go around. Sometimes you can fix those issues, but they didn’t even try.

Back
Top Bottom