Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seriously stupid decision. Not just from a (my) footballing standpoint.

We've had difficult windows as it is trying to shift non HG, moderate/high earning deadwood so that we can rebuild a squad desperately in need of refreshing and improving. So what do we do, extend the contract of a shit player on minimum 90k pw (maybe more with this contract) meaning a commitment of potentially 20m plus to a player who should be nowhere near a team with League/CL aspirations that wants to press better and play football better.

The sooner we get a decent DOF who can get on top of some of this stupid contractual/recruitment/team building stuff the fucking better.

He told me he really likes you

Sissoko has some attributes such as powerful running and being able to break opposition lines but ultimately is a technically limited footballer. But certainly atm with our other CM options being new boy Ndombele still bedding in, Winks and the youthful Skipp ( possibly Wanyama but still think he won't be here by summer) we probably need him.

Think the new contract reflects the fact that there are a few players running down contracts which come to an end in the summer and we may or may not need to replace ( one or two might sign new ones) and others who we may wish to uograde.

So a new contract gives us an option to keep Sissoko for a couple of years whilst we replace maybe half a dozen other players first ( which will probably take both January and summer TWs to complete - and might run into following year). It's a sensible pragmatic move.

Personally I doubt we'll keep him for the full 4 years to 2023 and the new contract preserves a value if he moves on in (say) 2 years.

So no need to do anything drastic Captain Titus Oates !

I wish I could agree with that logic but I don't, I think it's the type of mismanagement of resources by Pochettino that got us into the fucking mess we have been in for the last 18-24 months, that saw Winks not get properly integrated until he was 22, KWP's career stagnated at the critical development time and will see Skipp's career go the same way. And it's the type of mismanagement of resources that saw us unable to sign players for two windows.

I wish I could agree with that logic but I don't, I think it's the type of mismanagement of resources by Pochettino that got us into the fucking mess we have been in for the last 18-24 months, that saw Winks not get properly integrated until he was 22, KWP's career stagnated at the critical development time and will see Skipp's career go the same way. And it's the type of mismanagement of resources that saw us unable to sign players for two windows.
It could be a parting "gift" from Poch.

WOWOW

Giving a new contract to 30 year old Sissoko.

What a huge slap in the face to Jan, Toby, Rose, etc etc

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Why?

Toby's had a new deal on the table for 2 years (or more).
Jan is 33 by the end of the season, yet has been offered an extention.
Rose WANTS out.

Was not a fan and recognise his limitations but I am quite pleased.

Wants to be here, works his arse off on the pitch. No coIncidence that his substitution last week was the catalyst for our loss.

Rather him on the pitch than others who contribute less and can't wait to leave

Agree 100% that the management of the squad, including signing of too many average overseas trained players ( we are restricted to a maximum of 17 so for example having 3 overseas trained HG players is a waste of one valuable overseas trained player space) has got poorer since Poch joined.

I'd also agree that Sissoko at £30m was poor value for money as was Aurier (when Pereira was available for the same money ).

But we are where we are.

Sissokos contract was running out in June 2021, and with it being very possible we need to replace all or some of Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Rose , Wanyama (5 players and maybe one or two others) in January or the summer, we would be unlikely to add Sissoko to that list and make it longer. With player values decreasing where players have 2 years left on the contract, it become stick or twist - don't renew the contract and he goes for not a lot or issue a new contract and preserve value.

He's a strong lad with no history of long injuries so it looks like Poch has extended the contract as we need him for the short term to have the number of CMs we need.

Pragmatic in the circumstances.

He's not my type of player and I'd prefer to replace him with someone who can pass after breaking through the lines. And I don't want him to cause Skipps career to stagnate or (maybe next season ) for White and,,/or Bowden career to be delayed

So I hope as a quid pro quo that DL has made the point that theiri need to be more youth players coming through to both Poch and McDermott as that is a vital source of HG players that cannot be ignored.

Btw on the youth thread is news if a tie up with Brondeby which I hope is youth development related, and you might want to look at the Squad thread for info on contract lengths etc which shows how the Sissoko contract extension fits into the overall squad management.

Back
Top Bottom