Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think Lewis Holtby.

Another one of those players who didn't really get appreciated by others due to his lack of goals and assists but he brought so much more. There was a period of time where he was considered one of the most underrated players in the league.

You only have to ask those who have played with him who they think one of the best players they've ever played with were and he's usually always on that list.
Wilson palacios was of the same ilk very underestimated....

Holtby was in summer on an exercised loan option, not a Bosman...

Holtby's contract was due to run out in the summer. We agreed terms with him in January and he was going to sign for us in the summer. Sandro got injured so we paid a fee and signed him January instead.

Dembele can talk to anyone he wants in January to discuss terms but would still command a fee if they want him as soon as January.

Another example is Nigel de Jong - could have signed on a free transfer in the summer but Man City wanted him straight away so signed him for £18,000,000 in January instead.

So it appears Dembele can sign a precontract deal with anybody but wouldn’t be able to walk til summer.

Maybe we can glean a nominal transfer fee from a Chinese club but I can’t imagine it being much...

Holtby's contract was due to run out in the summer. We agreed terms with him in January and he was going to sign for us in the summer. Sandro got injured so we paid a fee and signed him January instead.

Dembele can talk to anyone he wants in January to discuss terms but would still command a fee if they want him as soon as January.

Another example is Nigel de Jong - could have signed on a free transfer in the summer but Man City wanted him straight away so signed him for £18,000,000 in January instead.

I see you meant Holtby signing, not leaving. My bad...

So it appears Dembele can sign a precontract deal with anybody but wouldn’t be able to walk til summer.

Maybe we can glean a nominal transfer fee from a Chinese club but I can’t imagine it being much...
Would be something like £8m, but I would rather keep him for the crucial second part of the season. Especially v Dortmund in the CL and the big games in the league.

Chinese Super League starts in March so if they want him in ready for the season to start - I imagine they'll sign him up in January. They're not really short of money. We could probably squeeze £10,000,000 out of them in all honesty.

A shame if true, but it’s been on the cards. Absolutely unplayable when fit.

I was at The Lane to see his debut against Norwich. Scored in a 1-1. Didn’t really push on when it came to goals, but he had a unique ability to dribble the ball into the final third.
One of the goals of he's that stuck in my mind is the goal away out in Lyon, one of the highs before champs league.

One of the goals of he's that stuck in my mind is the goal away out in Lyon, one of the highs before champs league.

dembele.gif

Would be something like £8m, but I would rather keep him for the crucial second part of the season. Especially v Dortmund in the CL and the big games in the league.

I’m not very sentimental and the club seems to be gasping for cash right now. He hasn’t played much at all for us so far this season and Dier is set to return. I love him but would rather take 8-10million and start bedding in Berge/Skipp asap.

He could've scored more goals like that for us (3/4 a season), seems more like a mental thing.
It's like he tried it, decided it wasn't for him and pledged to never try a shot like that again.
A massive shame if he's off, I'd want another year of him at least, even as a bench option to piss off the opposition when we're leading.

There was an interview years back with Dembele who said he just hated shooting, which is why he never does it. When he was a child, he'd never shoot as the games he played with his friends were that you had to beat your man and stop it on the line to score a goal or something similar.

He always had one of those shoulder drops, move the ball to the left and rifle it into the bottom corner in his earlier years with us but he just stopped it his later seasons. He'd have a speculative shot from 25-30 yards every now and then which almost always went over but closer to goal, he preferred to just pass to a full back.

Last edited:
One of my favourite players but has definitely suffered more and more with injuries the last few seasons. Unplayable on his day but they are becoming fewer and further apart. Will be sorry to see him go if his is off but we also need players who can play regularly.

Back
Top Bottom