Media darlings thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unless we win the Champions League or The Premier League, most other clubs will just say "big deal"

And we will have not one fuck given about what they think.
I don't mind the media hating us. They're mostly shit fanboys with agendas and biases.

The ones that make me laugh are when teams like Luton and Sheffield United chant about how 'shit' we are.

Muppets.

Nah prefer they ignore what we do well and trot out the cliches so i can develop my outrage. I'm off to repeat HOW DARE THEY in my best Brian Blessed voice

Lots of great articles this morning, with this one being up there with the best, in my opinion.

Love this line in particular! :D

"Winks was seemingly substituted only to spare Modric, Kroos and Isco of any further embarrassment."

Its full of cracking writing:

"Midwives are jealous of Kieran Trippier's delivery."

What Tottenham did to Juventus was mind-blowing," he told The Debate.
"We don't give credit when credit is due in this country, we often put great results down to luck or the opposition having an off day.
"Spurs were 2-0 down to a last season's finalists, a team that had won 10 on the trot, and came back to dominate. They were phenomenal - I loved watching them."They took the game to Juventus. They were so much better that they were scary. For me, that told us the Premier League is right up there.
"Our clubs played at the pace of the Premier League with power and pace, and teams couldn't live with us."

The above was from Paul Merson

Premier League clubs are now the dominant force in Europe, says Paul Merson
Just a gooner windsock spouting whatevers been said in the press that week. Fuck the fat cunt and his opinions!

Woolwich have won only 6 league games at Old Trafford in the past 36yrs; Only 3 wins in the PL era (27yrs); Their last win was 12yrs ago!

Now let's switch it up:
Utd have only beaten Spurs away from home in the League twice (2009 & 2012) in the past decade. In this same period Spurs have now beaten Utd 3 times at Old Trafford.

Unbelieavable.. They haven’t won there for 12 years??? Wow..
We hadn’t won there for 4 years and yet it was the total attention of every article or interview..

Every player that was interviewed was asked about this poor recorded and how long it’s been since we won there.
Us breaking records and beating the so called big boys pisses so many people off. I love it..

From Barney Ronay in The Guardian writing about yesterday’s match:

“...Tottenham are, for reasons that remain unclear, the most widely chastised of the Premier League’s high-achievers. There has always been a certain jeering unease in the top flight towards a refusal to spend money, the kind of response you might expect in some sweaty, booze-sodden Friday night saloon bar as you sidle up to order your third Orangina of the night.

The urge to cast shade on this fine footballing project is evidence of how simplistic the narrative around football can be. Chuck in the reliance on coaching and youth systems – Spurs spent £18m net in the past five seasons – and it is either idiocy or mischief to conclude Pochettino has done anything other than an excellent job.”

Finally we read someone digging a little deeper than the Neanderthal, knuckle scraping narrative we hear every Saturday lunchtime.

The project, for all of its resources is one of the most successful in football across the time Pochettino has been in charge. We are in the process of growing it so we can compete long term without the tag underdog or plucky. Other teams are investing in their end product, we are investing in our grassroots and foundations in order to get there. It's a very unique project that a shit load have tried and got nowhere close to compared to us

He is bang on.

Our refusal - or inability - to contribute to the absurd spending comedy of the PL is quite literally making us bullying target for the media, for whom rumour mills and transfer windows are almost of a similar turnover to the actual football played.

Transfers are far more important to the press than actual matches - it's far more difficult to make up lies about the matches

This bit made me laugh:
Yet here we are, griping that a wonderful stadium has been brought into use earlier than it should have been.
....and there was me thinking it was being brought into use 7 months late!
It can't be both... the media need to make up their minds... are we a laughing stock cos it was a bit late.... or gaining an unfair advantage cos we didn't just wait till NEXT season?

Imagine the furore had we benefitted from it ALL season... how UNFAIR on the rest of the League!! :levywhoa:

Tottenham into the Champions League semi-final: Mauricio Pochettino takes the next step

A nice little reminder of what we were up against...

One national radio station ran a poll soon after the quarter-final draw was made inviting their audience to pick which of the English teams would go furthest in the competition. Tottenham were not even one of the options. They went and won the first leg and, crucially, denied City an away goal, but they were still huge underdogs heading to Manchester.

Nope, don't like being media darlings at all.

Stay under the radar please. I appreciate that'd hard to do when we play the way we do and we're 2nd in the league whilst doing so but we could do without any further pressure.

Back
Top Bottom