Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was going to make this point too...it's all about pandering to the fans of the most popular teams, that's why the top 4 is now a top 6, with United floundering it'll be a top 8 soon...
Exactly. The Premier League always put up a pic of the top end of the table after the weekends games, and this week they've reverted back to showing a 'top 6' after United won a game and moved up. If that was us in 6th would they show it as a 'top 6'? I wouldn't bet a cent on it.

It's all about the clicks these days, plus they now have the bonus of negative stories on Spurs will not only draw in gooners, but the scousers in their droves as well.

Exactly. The Premier League always put up a pic of the top end of the table after the weekends games, and this week they've reverted back to showing a 'top 6' after United won a game and moved up. If that was us in 6th would they show it as a 'top 6'? I wouldn't bet a cent on it.
and MOTD showed a top two table. :dembelelol:

I thought about starting a list of pre conceived football narratives and cliches.

Readers are more comfortable with having their predetermined opinions justified so will naturally deviate toward narratives that enforce those. Hence - papers and the tabloid media in general would rather publish or embellish an article to have an established narrative behind it rather than tell the true story that may require more in depth examination or not be compartmentalised as easily.

Equally a huge number of pundits are lazy and behind the times with there commentary and analysis, "jobs for old boys" clearly exists in the game and is surely the only reason that thick cunts like Merson are till in a job.

So stuff like:

"Foreign Managers get jobs over English ones because people like their fancy names"
I don't know what it is about this season, but I find I no longer have any desire to listen to to any of these pundits any more...it used to be I couldn't get enough of stuff about Spurs. Now I can't stand to listen to any more of their ill-informed bullshit. I was an avid Football Weekly and The Totally Football Show fan, listened to 4 a week, but I haven't listened to a single one since the NLD and I realise I don't fucking miss any of it.

bbc.. on match of the day apparently its now a 2 horse race for the title, where two ex gooners fight over Citeh or Lpool to win it...

today on bbc online, they are asking, after chels beat Citeh, are they now back in the running for the title..

its worse than the brexit coverage!

I thought about starting a list of pre conceived football narratives and cliches.

Readers are more comfortable with having their predetermined opinions justified so will naturally deviate toward narratives that enforce those. Hence - papers and the tabloid media in general would rather publish or embellish an article to have an established narrative behind it rather than tell the true story that may require more in depth examination or not be compartmentalised as easily.

Equally a huge number of pundits are lazy and behind the times with there commentary and analysis, "jobs for old boys" clearly exists in the game and is surely the only reason that thick cunts like Merson are till in a job.

So stuff like:

"Foreign Managers get jobs over English ones because people like their fancy names"
This book looks up your street then

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Clichés-Adam-Hurrey/dp/1472220382

bbc.. on match of the day apparently its now a 2 horse race for the title, where two ex gooners fight over Citeh or Lpool to win it...

today on bbc online, they are asking, after chels beat Citeh, are they now back in the running for the title..

its worse than the brexit coverage!

Just wait - Liverpool vs United up next game.......they will definitely say United are back in the race if they win

Makes me so mad. Had more at Wembley on a Wednesday night against a very poor team than Leicester managed on a Saturday evening against us.

Think Spurs fans been unbelievably patient waiting for the new stadium when a lot of us thought that by now we would have been well and truly ‘home’.
Why does it make you mad? we have always had better support than Leicester subject to previous capacity issues.

The worst piece of bias is MU's record of always being on TV for FA Cup barring one match. It has to be the people who make the decisions are supporters of these clubs. Why did Spurs/Woolwich KO at 2 and liverpool/Everton at 4? Well Sky always have their panel at the 4 o clock game and that is why it was on Merseyside and yet that was the smaller game.

I find it really strange that the media don't find the THFC story more sexy. Here's a Club that has worked tirelessly over 10 years or so to gradually improve the squad, the training facilities, the stadium, maintaining more than any other team a consistent top 4 position in recent years. Unlike all of our competitors, we have never bought the so-called world class players (other than Hugo who at the time of purchase was considered to be so) to provide immediate - if very expensive - improvement in standards. All this with a current squad that is very likeable and provides the spine of the England team, yet it seems everyone is waiting, even hoping, that the wheels will fall off.
My opinion on this is that it's two-fold.
  1. That we are not well supported among this current generation of football journalists, and any success we have actively goes against the teams they prefer. Something that comes to mind here is how much better the reporting on Spurs was in the brief period where we got our shit together under Poch and Liverpool were still kinda hopeless.
  2. Football punditry is all about NOW and THIS YEAR and OH BUT HE'LL HAVE TO GET THE SACK IF THEY DON'T WIN IT THIS TIME sound bites. Given our financial model, the speed of our development could only go so fast to stay sustainable, and yet this is the anathema to your Sky and TalkSport. In essence, they can't really praise us for the reasons they should as it would highlight how cancerous the majority of the top 6 has become.
So they nosh on Pep's catalonian sausage while throwing scorn on our stadium delay.

Media bias is a result of the internet - most people, certainly those under 40 have grown up with the TV and Internet informing their belief system ... when you had balanced reporting and could listen to both sides of an argument in a single programme or news article that was OK, but then social media changed all that ...

No longer did people read or even want balanced news, they just wanted affirmation that their views were correct, now that's perfect for social media where advertisers want to push everyone into boxes so they can target them with pop-ups and offers, but a disaster for society ...

It's not just football ... centre right are pushed to right-wing as social media pre-determines what they read ... centre-left are equally forced to the far left ... any opposing views are banished from their view ...

It's exactly the same in football - Dippers only want to hear about how good scousers are - Woolwich the same - Utd just want to hear about how famous they are - and Spurs just want to feel victimized ... low and behold the marvels of the internet feed all those desires ... journalists no longer write informed pieces, they just regurgitate whatever gets the most hits ... how many times can Poch leave? how many times can it be the Dipper's year? how often can racism / refereeing / partying be mentioned? ....

The rise of the Internet left ordinary media TV, Newspapers with a dwindling audience, they could have remained true to the ideals of unbiased journalism, rights people had fought and died for ... but no ... up rose FOX and CNN two of the most biased mass media outlets on the planet ... and soon even that stalwart of neutrality the BBC started filling it's schedule with biased click-bait nonsense ...

Is it the media's fault? or ultimately are we just getting what we deserve?

Trump, Macron, Corbyn, Boris ... none of these political midgets would have even been mentioned 50 years ago, now they are running, or are looking to run, entire countries ... how fucked up is that?

Last edited:
Media bias is a result of the internet - most people, certainly those under 40 have grown up with the TV and Internet informing their belief system ... when you had balanced reporting and could listen to both sides of an argument in a single programme or news article that was OK, but then social media changed all that ...

No longer did people read or even want balanced news, they just wanted affirmation that their views were correct, now that's perfect for social media where advertisers want to push everyone into boxes so they can target them with pop-ups and offers, but a disaster for society ...

It's not just football ... centre right are pushed to right-wing as social media pre-determines what they read ... centre-left are equally forced to the far left ... any opposing views are banished from their view ...

It's exactly the same in football - Dippers only want to hear about how good scousers are - Woolwich the same - Utd just want to hear about how famous they are - and Spurs just want to feel victimized ... low and behold the marvels of the internet feed all those desires ... journalists no longer write informed pieces, they just regurgitate whatever gets the most hits ... how many times can Pock leave? how many times can it be the Dipper's year? how often can racism / refereeing / partying be mentioned? ....

The rise of the Internet left ordinary media TV, Newspapers with a dwindling audience, they could have remained true to the ideals of unbiased journalism, rights people had fought and died for ... but no ... up rose FOX and CNN two of the most biased mass media outlets on the planet ... and soon even that stalwart of neutrality the BBC started filling it's schedule with biased click-bait nonsense ...

Is it the media's fault? or ultimately are we just getting what we deserve?

Trump, Macron, Corbyn, Boris ... none of these political midgets would have even been mentioned 50 years ago, now they are running, or are looking to run, entire countries ... how fucked up is that?
I see your point but I don't agree with the Spurs comment...We don't need to trawl the internet for shit about Spurs when it's served up everywhere...

From the BBC Livetext for tonight’s games.

“Let's be serious, PSG should not be scrapping for qualification on the final matchday with the cash they've blown.”

And Liverpool haven’t spunked loads either and yet they are also scrapping, in the same group?

Back
Top Bottom