Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

so Skys two main studio pundits are souness and redknapp, for a scouse derby.
it aint just us....

one thing i would say....sky ate calling this "derby day"

5 years ago, it would have been the Manc derby, the scouse derby and the chavs v Woolwich. some things are changing...

So we're 8 time winners and semi finalists last year yet we don't deserve a mention, fuck you BBC.

BBC said:
Here's a few of the ball numbers that are worth keeping an eye out for:

Woolwich (a record 13-time winners) - 2

Chelsea (reigning champions) - 12

Liverpool (seven-time winners) - 22

Manchester City (Premier League champions) - 23

Manchester United (12-time winners) - 24

Norwich City (Championship leaders) - 28

Guiseley or Fleetwood Town - 45

Wrexham or Newport - 47

Tranmere Rovers or Southport - 48

Solihull Moors or Blackpool - 51

Woking - 54

Lincoln City (became first non-league side in 103 years to reach the quarter-finals in 2017) - 56

Barnet - 59

Conk faced has been Phil Thompson slagging us off again. Says 'we don't support our team'. What is this cock on? No idea what we have to go through with Wembley, did he say anything when we had 80,000 for Bournemouth? I would like to smash him in his vile scouse face.

driving back from Leicester last night (cheers M1) briefly put on talkshite expecting to hear about our win but nish.
the news bulletin was about chelsea (fair enough) man utd and woolwich. not even a mention of the team in 3rd

I find it really strange that the media don't find the THFC story more sexy. Here's a Club that has worked tirelessly over 10 years or so to gradually improve the squad, the training facilities, the stadium, maintaining more than any other team a consistent top 4 position in recent years. Unlike all of our competitors, we have never bought the so-called world class players (other than Hugo who at the time of purchase was considered to be so) to provide immediate - if very expensive - improvement in standards. All this with a current squad that is very likeable and provides the spine of the England team, yet it seems everyone is waiting, even hoping, that the wheels will fall off.

Just read the BBC woolwich match report against Huddersfield, curious to see if they would even mention 3 yellows for diving, let alone berate them for their disgusting tactics.

Absolutely nothing.

Could imagine the meltdown had we done that?! Calling for bans, fines, points deductions. Dippers would start a petition. It would be carnage.

I hate the media for the way they cover us, tbh I avoid it more than seek it out these days, I keep my blood pressure down that way. The only way to ram their words down their throats is to win something but guarantee they would put a negative spin on it somehow.

Conk faced has been Phil Thompson slagging us off again. Says 'we don't support our team'. What is this cock on? No idea what we have to go through with Wembley, did he say anything when we had 80,000 for Bournemouth? I would like to smash him in his vile scouse face.

Makes me so mad. Had more at Wembley on a Wednesday night against a very poor team than Leicester managed on a Saturday evening against us.

Think Spurs fans been unbelievably patient waiting for the new stadium when a lot of us thought that by now we would have been well and truly ‘home’.

I find it really strange that the media don't find the THFC story more sexy. Here's a Club that has worked tirelessly over 10 years or so to gradually improve the squad, the training facilities, the stadium, maintaining more than any other team a consistent top 4 position in recent years. Unlike all of our competitors, we have never bought the so-called world class players (other than Hugo who at the time of purchase was considered to be so) to provide immediate - if very expensive - improvement in standards. All this with a current squad that is very likeable and provides the spine of the England team, yet it seems everyone is waiting, even hoping, that the wheels will fall off.
I think its a combination of jealousy from rival supporting journalists/pundits, sadism and the simple fact that the likes of the BBC and Sky would be terrified of Spurs taking the limelight away from the Scouse, Yanited, Woolwich etc who like it or not do make up the majority of their audience. Add all these together and you get a lethal concoction of hoping that Spurs fail. What I used to find even funnier though was when the likes of Lyall Thomas(remember that prick) used to come out and try and deny it, even when he was tweeted concrete photographic evidence, such as Poch's pic being inexplicably left out of the "top managers press conferences" etc. Truly laughable stuff but hard as it may be we need to rise above it as a fan base because it seems by highlighting it we're merely feeding the trolls.

To be fair, so many of our online fans seem to to agree with the media agenda, so they tap into what they see as "the Spurs fans" opinions.
If people stopped whining on twitter and calling for Levys head every six months, and showed some fucking pride in what we are about, it might change.

Makes me so mad. Had more at Wembley on a Wednesday night against a very poor team than Leicester managed on a Saturday evening against us.

Think Spurs fans been unbelievably patient waiting for the new stadium when a lot of us thought that by now we would have been well and truly ‘home’.

It was basically a WHL capacity turn out......people think that because its holds 90,000 its empty even if 60,000 turn up.

We don't have a 'home' ground ... Wembley is utter shite ... we don't 'add' 10,000 to our gate numbers by including all ST's sold ... and yet we still come out above City and the Dippers .... but the Media says 'we're not turning up' ....

When we sell out NWHL every single game what will they moan about then?

Manchester United 74,490
Woolwich 59,947
West Ham United 56,903
Tottenham Hotspur 54,514
Manchester City 54,020
Liverpool 52,553

We don't have a 'home' ground ... Wembley is utter shite ... we don't 'add' 10,000 to our gate numbers by including all ST's sold ... and yet we still come out above City and the Dippers .... but the Media says 'we're not turning up' ....

When we sell out NWHL every single game what will they moan about then?

Manchester United 74,490
Woolwich 59,947
West Ham United 56,903
Tottenham Hotspur 54,514
Manchester City 54,020
Liverpool 52,553
That we built a "too small" new stadium to make it look like we are selling out when we should have gone bigger or something stupid like that

The press don't do long term narrative. Its even worse now that on demand viewing and social media have dwindled peoples attention spans down to nothing.

Its one sentence storytelling or nothing. So decades of slowly gaining traction through clever buisness isn't dynamic or glamorous enough to get clicks.

Football is about wonder goals, and heroic challenges, pashun and kissing the badge and Super Soccer Sundays.

Its definatley not about having to have one of the shrewdness buisness men on the planet pulling every trick in the book in an attempt to keep up with the obscene amounts of blood money that is being illegally pumped into the game.

I think its a combination of jealousy from rival supporting journalists/pundits, sadism and the simple fact that the likes of the BBC and Sky would be terrified of Spurs taking the limelight away from the Scouse, Yanited, Woolwich etc who like it or not do make up the majority of their audience. Add all these together and you get a lethal concoction of hoping that Spurs fail. What I used to find even funnier though was when the likes of Lyall Thomas(remember that prick) used to come out and try and deny it, even when he was tweeted concrete photographic evidence, such as Poch's pic being inexplicably left out of the "top managers press conferences" etc. Truly laughable stuff but hard as it may be we need to rise above it as a fan base because it seems by highlighting it we're merely feeding the trolls.
I was going to make this point too...it's all about pandering to the fans of the most popular teams, that's why the top 4 is now a top 6, with United floundering it'll be a top 8 soon...

I thought about starting a list of pre conceived football narratives and cliches.

Readers are more comfortable with having their predetermined opinions justified so will naturally deviate toward narratives that enforce those. Hence - papers and the tabloid media in general would rather publish or embellish an article to have an established narrative behind it rather than tell the true story that may require more in depth examination or not be compartmentalised as easily.

Equally a huge number of pundits are lazy and behind the times with there commentary and analysis, "jobs for old boys" clearly exists in the game and is surely the only reason that thick cunts like Merson are till in a job.

So stuff like:

"Foreign Managers get jobs over English ones because people like their fancy names"

Back
Top Bottom