Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know the Tott/Eng stats speak well of him, but i wonder how many players (irrespective of nationality) have had int. debuts under Poch.

This is not Spurs but absolutely bang on, well worth a read.

Now that you have read it wait a see just how many times "power & pace" gets used as the only description used in the future. To witness it in full flight, follow John Cwoss from the Mirror.

Now that you have read it wait a see just how many times "power & pace" gets used as the only description used in the future. To witness it in full flight, follow John Cwoss from the Mirror.

Interesting. No doubt West African teams can been seen as physical teams but are no bigger than most European teams .
I feel they lack that real creative spark so any stereotype may be based on how they play .
20 years ago we were told an African team would be in the final , in my opinion they are no nearer today than then.
Wishing them well but generally don't find them exciting to watch .

Interesting. No doubt West African teams can been seen as physical teams but are no bigger than most European teams .
I feel they lack that real creative spark so any stereotype may be based on how they play .
20 years ago we were told an African team would be in the final , in my opinion they are no nearer today than then.
Wishing them well but generally don't find them exciting to watch .
You see this in league football commentary as well. African players who have been living and working in the bigger European leagues for years, taking part in the same technical drills as their European, South American, Asian/whatever colleagues are still generally described with words like "pace" and "power". I dunno if it is because of what roles they play in their teams or if it is just a trope/coincidence at this point.

Idrissa Guye at Everton is real good with the ball technically and hard to disposses but most commentators tend to still say that it is because of his power rather than skills.

You see this in league football commentary as well. African players who have been living and working in the bigger European leagues for years, taking part in the same technical drills as their European, South American, Asian/whatever colleagues are still generally described with words like "pace" and "power". I dunno if it is because of what roles they play in their teams or if it is just a trope/coincidence at this point.

Idrissa Guye at Everton is real good with the ball technically and hard to disposses but most commentators tend to still say that it is because of his power rather than skills.
Why they don't produce real flair merchants generally is a mystery.
Also there is economics to take in. African countries produce decent players in numbers and can be picked up relatively cheaply . Teams like West Spam can pad out squads with ok hard working players for little dosh .

Have the BBC stopped going on about Mo Salah yet?.....

Shearer saying it was "great he scored the penalty after all he's been through over the past 5 weeks"

They don't even talk about the England players like that

It did have a proper historic background, like why English football was stuck on long balls and physical play.

Pitches. English pitches were muddy and you had a hard time playing close quarter passing game, African pitches were subpar so pace was much more important than technical skill.

in 2018 both are as irrelevant as the spice girls.

Beautiful.........
DgSPIUyWkAAIR58.jpg

DgSPJ6eXcAAHHS4.jpg

DgSPLmhXUAAHCGf.jpg

DgSPPVbXUAAHSDe.jpg

All very OTT. Shame for him personally and a great player but one among a few at the WC, which has been very good so far, so it's hard to see who will really be missing him apart from Egypt fans. The BBC should really be asking the hard questions about Salah's emerging relationship with Kadyrov rather than trot out these puff pieces.

Back
Top Bottom