Media bias tracking month 1 - talksport

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate the overall bias exhibited by talksport towards spurs?

• Mostly positive

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • About even

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Mostly negative

Votes: 51 73.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The difficulty with the talksport trolls is that they constantly contradict themselves. Sometimes even during the same show! Hard to know what their agenda is when they don't even know?!
Don't listen to Talkshite much anymore so I can't help with the thread, but I make you right about the presenters. I remember Mark Saggers doing a two hour special on the state of England football. He started out by saying "Number 1, we must choose a squad and then keep faith with that group no matter what, none of this chopping and changing." I soon got tired of his whiny voice and switched off the radio. I came back an hour later just in time to hear "and another thing, if players don't shape up we need to show them the door pronto". Then someone rang in to say the media are to blame as much as anyone for the way they make it all about personalities. Eg the way the Rooney situation became a circus with them making his selection such a big issue. It was like pulling teeth, but the caller finally got them to admit he had a point. Then straight away Saggers goes, "but what do you think John, should we pick Rooney?"

:pochfacepalm:

Don't listen to Talkshite much anymore so I can't help with the thread, but I make you right about the presenters. I remember Mark Saggers doing a two hour special on the state of England football. He started out by saying "Number 1, we must choose a squad and then keep faith with that group no matter what, none of this chopping and changing." I soon got tired of his whiny voice and switched off the radio. I came back an hour later just in time to hear "and another thing, if players don't shape up we need to show them the door pronto". Then someone rang in to say the media are to blame as much as anyone for the way they make it all about personalities. Eg the way the Rooney situation became a circus with them making his selection such a big issue. It was like pulling teeth, but the caller finally got them to admit he had a point. Then straight away Saggers goes, "but what do you think John, should we pick Rooney?"

:pochfacepalm:

Hi glass. Thanks for your time to make a comment. Much appreciated. I listen to talk sport quite often (but not the two Mikes... Bloody irritating!) And quite enjoy some of the show but I do agree that there a lot of double standards and deliberate trolling of listeners that I could live without.

Thanks again

I'm saying it..... Ray Parlor is alright..

Ian wright too

Ray Parlour is a nice fella, saw him the day we beat them 5 1 in the cup semi final. He was next to me at some traffic lights in Romford. Told him we were going to smash them that evening, he said it was a great opportunity for us lol

Seen him out and about in pubs etc doesn't give it the Larry.

Have no opinion on Wright except for what he was like on the pitch, a cunt in my eyes lol

Tony cascading suggesting that after RMs result versus AM that our result against RM now doesn't look so great!
Also slaying Poch and his tactics against Woolwich!
Yawn

Andy Goldstein last night on sports bar: are spurs fans too in love with Poch to see his faults?
Yawn!

Last night was grim listening.... Not so much the standard trolling but the amount of media-monged Yids calling in that had bought into their bullshit;

- No trophy = Poch is shit
- No 70m striker for the bench = Levy is a cunt.
- Wage mutiny incoming.
- "What else can poor Rose do?"
- etc. etc.

...pretty much every aspect of our club being willingly cunted off on national radio by supposed supporters.

Yet just one calm, collected and reasonable Yido got airtime in the name of objectivity....

Of course they were mocked.

It’s negative, and they bait people to call in

Towards all teams at times to be fair

The thing is none of the presenters have any knowledge worth listening to so I don’t understand why people listen to them

Last night was grim listening.... Not so much the standard trolling but the amount of media-monged Yids calling in that had bought into their bullshit;

- Wage mutiny incoming.
- etc. etc.

...pretty much every aspect of our club being willingly cunted off on national radio by supposed supporters.

Yet just one calm, collected and reasonable Yido got airtime in the name of objectivity....

Those fans have the winning mentality though mate, never forget that.

- Wage mutiny incoming.
- etc. etc.

Yeah was very tiresome last night. I know after what happened in the NLD that they had to discuss it but why not make it balanced? I can see why they would use sensationalist headlines to get the callers but why then not balance it? Doesn't make it less interesting by having both sides of the discussion... In fact I feel like it's more interesting and let's me hear a lot of view points that maybe I hadn't thought of.

Still, I take solace that I've already heard a spammer call in and want Moyes out after 1 game! What does that tell you about their fanbase!
:pocheyes::pocheyes::pocheyes:

Why tune in?

Fair question....

Just lazy convenience on my part knowing i can flip it on 24/7 and get some form of footy talk (and the occasional breaking news).... Often whilst im doing other stuff, travelling about etc.

Also, same way i often pick up a discarded newspaper and read it without particularly trusting what ive read.... Good to have an idea of how kneejerk plebs are being brainwashed by the mainstream.

I’ve largely stopped listening. Especially after the Madrid game. There’s no genuine thoughts or opinions on that show.

No matter who’s presenting all they do is make controversial statements to get the biggest raise possible out of the idiots that call in. Durham is so predictable in his “opinions” he’s like a parody of himself. Literally the only time he’ll say anything remotely positive about any team is when he’s using that to get a raise out of another set of supporters.

I mean one if the idiots presenting after the Madrid game made the whole show about whether our result was better than Cities. Couldn’t just talk about two great results. Had to lace it with negativity.

And the sadest thing is their show (and the British media in general) is an embarrassingly depressing reflection of the general population. If it didn’t “sell” they’d have to change their tune to what does. All the time brain dead numbskulls take the bait and dial in they will keep serving up a nasty, negative agenda.

I find it funny whether they're trolling or not that both Durham and Goldstein criticise us for loyalty to pochettino and basically not being arrogant entitled fans! We're (for the most part) a sensible fan base. We remember the 90's and early 00s when we were truly an awful side. This guy pochettino comes along and turns us into a contender and all of sudden we should be demanding he wins us the league, or screaming blue murder when he loses a game.

What sorry? We're not like united and Liverpool fans cause we haven't had those years of success and thus aren't entitled and arrogant cunts who spit out the dummy when we lose a game. We respect and appreciate Poch and go on the journey with him, Poch's only guilty of propelling us too fast too soon thus putting us in the media spotlight, people are dying to criticise us and sell our players cause now we're a threat to Goldstein's united (Essex man isn't he? Classic)

Bring it on!

I find it funny whether they're trolling or not that both Durham and Goldstein criticise us for loyalty to pochettino and basically not being arrogant entitled fans! We're (for the most part) a sensible fan base. We remember the 90's and early 00s when we were truly an awful side. This guy pochettino comes along and turns us into a contender and all of sudden we should be demanding he wins us the league, or screaming blue murder when he loses a game.

What sorry? We're not like united and Liverpool fans cause we haven't had those years of success and thus aren't entitled and arrogant cunts who spit out the dummy when we lose a game. We respect and appreciate Poch and go on the journey with him, Poch's only guilty of propelling us too fast too soon thus putting us in the media spotlight, people are dying to criticise us and sell our players cause now we're a threat to Goldstein's united (Essex man isn't he? Classic)

Bring it on!

Even thats been backtracked upon...

The latest narrative (see last night) is that our fans ARE entitled irritants.... It was one if their polls FFS!

Being honest with myself though when united lose I'm gonna tune in to hear Goldstein being despondent after his 'united are guaranteed top 2' and 'between united and city for the title' talk.

So in a way I'm as guilty, when we win and we're flying I wanna hear them squirm... maybe I'm as bad as them.

Oh ps when Liverpool lose I pray mickey Quinn he's on the breakfast show the next morning! Maybe there's something wrong with me.

Bring it on!
Spot on.

Also, am I going crazy or do most of these pundits conveniently ignore our new stadium when discussing the progress of the club?

It's all about our wages, trophies, blah blah blah, but never "okay I guess they can wait a year and try to stay consistent". Why aren't the knives out for United considering they spent all that money in the summer and were supposedly going to go toe-to-toe with City for the title? Sure doesn't look that way right now to me, and they've been playing shite football.

Back
Top Bottom