Media bias tracking month 1 - talksport

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would you rate the overall bias exhibited by talksport towards spurs?

• Mostly positive

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • About even

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Mostly negative

Votes: 51 73.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ginolaflair

BLEEDER OF BLUE & WHITE
It was suggested that we try to analyse media bias in a more fact based way and I thought a poll might work nicely focusing on one media outlet per month. Randomly for this month I have chosen talksport. So...
If you hear an article, comment, interview about our girls team come and view on the poll. Also leave a comment about the details of what you have heard such as name of reported and a brief overview of the discussion heard.

Here are a few examples of ways that I thought about how to judge the overall tone of any item heard:
My choices (as a first attempt) are:
Mostly positive: eg Eriksen is amazing, scored a great hat trick
About even: eg Eriksson scored a great hat trick but can he score more regularly and could he do it in another league?
Mostly negative: eriksen was lucky and doesn't do this on a regular basis

Let's give it a go and maybe we can refine the concept/choices as we go. I think about this as a first draft!

EDIT: please leave your comment about what you heard to give it a context when u vote.

Last edited:
So here is my first.
Ray parlour asked to create a joint spurs/gooners 11. This basically consisted of a majority of spurs players and I felt he was very honest and fair in his judgements therefore I voted mostly positive!

It's bellends like Durham and Micky and Andy Goldstein that do my head in. Durham I suppose is pushing an agenda for ratings and is a top troll tbf...

I think Micky quinn is the classic Liverpool fan, arrogant entitled and full of shit that classic in the pub '5 times La' type. Fills me with genuine glee knowing how upset he is when Liverpool lose.

Goldstein really irritates me too. Typical London born united fan who talks about united as if it's 2008 constant 'Manchester clubs top 2 anyway' bs fuck off dope with your stupid hair

Adrian Durham is a ginger twat that just trolls , I rung up once cos he was saying something along the lines of West Ham were bigger than Spurs now because of the taxpayers stadium , i got through and I thought I was having the better of the cunt , suddenly I'm getting no response , when I listened back he just cut me off and ranted sanctomoniously for about 30 seconds , I got a fucking ribbing from people telling me I got owned by ginger bollocks , when in reality i would never have let him talk over me like that, if I ever meet the cunt I will nut him.

Adrian Durham is a ginger twat that just trolls , I rung up once cos he was saying something along the lines of West Ham were bigger than Spurs now because of the taxpayers stadium , i got through and I thought I was having the better of the cunt , suddenly I'm getting no response , when I listened back he just cut me off and ranted sanctomoniously for about 30 seconds , I got a fucking ribbing from people telling me I got owned by ginger bollocks , when in reality i would never have let him talk over me like that, if I ever meet the cunt I will nut him.

Advance request:

Pictures
:ledleylick:

:sonlol:

Talksport is one of the most tabloidy outside of print media, but in reality I think the idea of bias is largely a myth. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. It does. But often that bias is driven by the global market, that is to say the amount of interest in clubs, and the fact is that we don't yet have the global profile that the likes of Man U or Liverpool have, so the media doesn't feel as compelled to big us up or promote us much like, say, Sky would a game for one of those teams. But, despite other sides getting more airtime, I don't largely think that what is said about us is flat out unfair or mostly biased against us. Most of the time it's reasonable with just the odd bullshitty comments here and there, and I would even include Talkshite in that, despite the fact that their on air talk and callers are often sensationalist.

Last edited:
Perry Groves chooses only 3 Woolwich players in his joint 11 and yet STILL claims that spurs aren't the better team because he claims the better players don't make the best team and also because Poch hasn't won anything!
To be fair, Jim White has mocked him hugely for that statement.

I'm going to be a disparaging asshole here. Do we really care enough about this to keep a record of our feelings? Does TalkSport care that we think they are biased? What are we trying to get them to do? Employ more Spurs fans? Refrain from criticising our club? Is it really that important that some radio nitwit approves of us?

I'm okay with just making jokes about their stupidity or what I perceive to be their stupidity from my biased viewpoint.

Perry Groves chooses only 3 Woolwich players in his joint 11 and yet STILL claims that spurs aren't the better team because he claims the better players don't make the best team and also because Poch hasn't won anything!
To be fair, Jim White has mocked him hugely for that statement.
He’s a cunt.
In case your confused , they are both cunts, but I’m taking about Groves.

And i will buy you a pint.

The difficulty with the talksport trolls is that they constantly contradict themselves. Sometimes even during the same show! Hard to know what their agenda is when they don't even know?!

For the record i would say their agenda is be "controversial" rather than have any particular bias. I would say the more worrying thing is the amount of mongs who go on and agree with them... simply regurgitating their opinions back to them!

Talk sport is for cabbies or any other person who spends their working days in a vehicle.
Don’t listen to it on your drive to or from work you’ll probably be upset when you get to your destination.

As for listening to it at home, letting that cunt Durham wind you up.
Have a wank, it will release tension, you’ll get more gratification and feel less guilty afterwards

The difficulty with the talksport trolls is that they constantly contradict themselves.

Yep. I remember last year there was some nonsense about spurs being a small club for not paying Harry what they (talksport have decided) he's worth. About 3 days later once he'd got a new contract - spurs celebrating Harry's new contract shows they're a small club. Ridiculous.

I'm going to be a disparaging asshole here. Do we really care enough about this to keep a record of our feelings? Does TalkSport care that we think they are biased? What are we trying to get them to do? Employ more Spurs fans? Refrain from criticising our club? Is it really that important that some radio nitwit approves of us?

I'm okay with just making jokes about their stupidity or what I perceive to be their stupidity from my biased viewpoint.
No. I found the thread to be a bit silly myself but I figured that I'd best not say so, especially since it's a new member!

No. I found the thread to be a bit silly myself but I figured that I'd best not say so, especially since it's a new member!

Thanks for your input to the thread...and I genuinely mean that. It's dead interesting to hear from you all and get to know some of you rather then just being a lurker and enjoying the forum. Genuinely good to hear other people's thoughts and opinions and you were decent enough to make your points in a polite way for which I thank you.

I guess I just found myself genuinely interested in looking more closely at the media's perceived bias against us in a more analytical way...I concede this may look like I have no life lol!

Thanks again for your contributions - I do honestly appreciate them.

COYS!

Thanks for your input to the thread...and I genuinely mean that. It's dead interesting to hear from you all and get to know some of you rather then just being a lurker and enjoying the forum. Genuinely good to hear other people's thoughts and opinions and you were decent enough to make your points in a polite way for which I thank you.

I guess I just found myself genuinely interested in looking more closely at the media's perceived bias against us in a more analytical way...I concede this may look like I have no life lol!

Thanks again for your contributions - I do honestly appreciate them.

COYS!
I promise you that I have no leg to stand on when judging if someone has no life haha

Back
Top Bottom