McGinn to the Lane?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

DONE DEAL! He arrives in July, Pochettino just gave an interview:

"We are strengthening for champions league next season, this is just the McGinning"

#ITK

Great. Another unfunny cunt.

Meanwhile in Arcys bat cave.....

tumblr_mafblb5IeT1qhh3fqo1_500.gif

With any player this window really, for me it comes down to 'does Conte want him'.

I don't want anybody foisted onto Conte that he doesn't want, and can't see him standing for that.

So...if Conte wants him, I want him.

forgot winks was here
McGinn is a very good footballer. Has done exceptionally well in a pish Scotland team, and has been Villa's best player over the last few seasons.

He's far from perfect but he'll burst a gut to win possession, can score goals from all angles and distances and isn't at all bad with set pieces.

Think he's definitely a player that the Spurs support would enjoy.

If I had to pick one home grown player that could be gettable for our future midfield playing centrally in a two (all round midfielder that would develop), I would pick Jacob Ramsey from Villa.

John McGinn would be another for that role, but the Scottish thing makes him an issue in Europe. Ditto Billy Gilmour who I have doubts Chelsea would sell...thought he was very impressive against us on Sunday.

I'd swap McGinn for Ndombele in a heartbeat btw.
McGinn in Ndombele out. Yes please.

I like McGinn a lot. Hes not the tallest, but is muscular for his size, and works his socks off. Hes intelligent, unselfish, passes well, handles the ball well, and has a heck of a long distance strike on him. Hes also proven in the prem, and as a little bonus, he'd be the first Scottish player we'd have in a long time. I think he'd be a great addition to our midfield.

Trouble is- he's under contract til 2025 and is, as far as I know, still very valuable to Villa. I don't really know why they'd sell him now when next summer makes more sense, and when he might be even more valuable. I wonder what it would take to get him? If I'm Villa, I'm asking for at least 35m pounds, and maybe even 40-45 if I really value him. Shouldn't we be looking at Bissouma for that kind of money?

I have not watched him specially, and I obviously do not know too much about him.
But I have watched some Villa games, and I have never noticed him, thinking "oh shit, that lad in CM is a player"...
I think many people are put off by him being "unsexy" target - he is not a big name or flashy player etc. And maybe I am also influenced by this. Most likely I am.

But when I look at our CM options, even if we sell Winks, Ndomfatbelly, Lo Celso... we still have Hjojberg, Bentancur, Skippy and then Sarr coming in. Okay, Sarr is unknown quality. But can you tell me - who would he be an upgrade on?

I honestly think that Hjojberg and Bentancur are both "good CM's". They keep us ticking, can pass, can tackle and cover lot of ground. But on top of that we would need something extra. A player who really would be commanding, who could carry the ball, who would be press resistant, who would be able to play accurate defense-splitting balls (NB! not all of those traits don't have to be represented in one player - like with Dembele- he was super press-resistant and commanding, but did not play defense-splitting balls) - I don't see what of these boxes would McGinn tick.

Also he is almost 28 when season starts.
He has 3 years left on his contract.
He is starter for top half team in EPL.

So basically he would be an expensive singing who I personally do not see displacing neither PEH, Benta nor Skippy.
What would be the point of this signing?

I knew Alan Hutton's real Dad. No relation to John McGinn.

Hutton was/is a top class player. He just needs the correct management - someone to put an arm around him. I wouldn't complain if Hutton returned to the Lane.

But anyway, McGinn. Different player to Hutton. McGinn is young so could develop into a more attacking or more defensive midfielder because currently he is a box to box, hard tackling playmaker. Excellent first touch and vision. I hope we seal the deal for him this summer.

I like how we buy youngsters and bring them on so effectively under Pochettino.
Lol. Hutton is gash.

Back
Top Bottom