Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know if Poch realizes how dangerous his rotation game can become. I think it's instilling an unhealthy and disruptive environment over time. When players, no matter how good they play, are benched in favor of other players who have not shown anything to deserve a starting place, I don't know how well it will go, even with the new faces. Why should they put their all if the next game they won't start? Matter of fact, why would a top class player join Tottenham when it's likely he won't start right away and when he finally does and plays well, he's rotated the next game with someone who's not up to par with his performances? What does that tell you about the rewarding system promoted within the club?

Nobody was complaining about this rotation when things were going well... all managers rotate to keep a squad a fresh as they can. LFC made 3 changes yesterday from their CL games, 4 changes between Genk and Man Utd.

Fabinho took ages to get intergrated into their team last year, and like N’Dombele he signed at the beginning of the summer.

Son asked to leave in his second year due to inconsistent playing time. The only way he got solidified in role was when Lamela went down to injury. Sissoko only played because we had no one else to play DM last year. He only played Trips because Walker was sold and then, believed in Trips so much he sold him. You're right on Dav and Toby.
Forgot Wanyama who was class from day 1 before injuries.

Dier look promising in year 1 and peaked in years 2-3... so it’s still a statement which the evidence simply doesn’t support

Ok throw in all 3 with no preparation and watch them crumble. It’s clear they’ve all had fitness issues to varying degrees.

It's not about just these three though, is it.

Look at his track record with transfers. I wouldn't trust him to buy my lunch, let alone spend millions on a 'rebuild'.

Also, from his recent comments in the press, this supposed rebuild will take three years from today to even show any signs of coming together anyway.

We'll spend the rest of the season identifying them, all summer to purchase them, and then, according to our manager, the next 18 - 24 months integrating them until they're fully up to speed.

The bloke doesn't deserve to be in the job for another three minutes, let alone three years.

It's not about just these three though, is it.

Look at his track record with transfers. I wouldn't trust him to buy my lunch, let alone spend millions on a 'rebuild'.

Also, from his recent comments in the press, this supposed rebuild will take three years from today to even show any signs of coming together anyway.

We'll spend the rest of the season identifying them, all summer to purchase them, and then, according to our manager, the next 18 - 24 months integrating them until they're fully up to speed.

The bloke doesn't deserve to be in the job for another three minutes, let alone three years.
Ok genius, bearing in mind the restrictions that Enic have placed in recent years, who would you have bought in on a £29mil net spend in 5 years and a summer where the club did nothing.

Give me names, and I’ll play Daniel Levy. Let’s go!

yeah I agree. As tomo has said, we still have kane & son but the majority of this team is over. Some have peaked & some look a bit past it as they have got older. You could state a case for getting rid of Lloris, both Jan & Toby, rose, Eriksen, dier, dele, lamela & wanyama which I think only leaves kane & son from our peak team.
So we needed the rebuild to start in 2018 but we didn't & now we have to do a massive overhaul of players all at once which is a silly idea.

Keep list)
Son & kane
New signings
Gazza even if its as number 2
Sanchez & foyth as both have shown potential. But still a ? If they make it.
Davies, sissoko, winks & Lucas. handy squad players at worst.
Maybe I have missed out 2nor 3 more, but it highlights the need for a rebuild & overhaul.
Yup and it’s gonna be a tough year or two whilst they get it right, but the club is a strong position to cope.

2003, 2008, 2013/14, now 2019/20, there’s been bad periods before but we’ve come out stronger.

Didn't need hindsight to look at that team selection for Sunday and know how it was going to turnout. Have a look at the comments made on the match thread as soon as the team sheet was announced. That wasn't 'doom and gloom' knocking on the door, it was stark reality.

I got a ticket for my boss (Liverpool fan) and his (spurs fan) son for the Red Star game on Tuesday. He said we played well. I said "Wait for Sunday when Rose, Winks and Eriksen get back in the starting line up. Then it'll be the usual dross. Sure as shit, there they were.

He should have been sacked after naming the starting 11 Vs Watford. At home, to a team that conceded 8 against City, he picks SEVEN defensive players.

That quote is really worrying.

Poch seems to be implying that it's a squad game and there's not much difference between Winks and Ndombele and the former was fresh, therefore selected. That is fucking *ridiculous*. They are poles apart as players. Winks brings absolutely nothing like the options Ndombele does. He can't honestly see them as interchangeable?

Plus, if it's a squad game, why does he never actually use the squad? Moura sits there again, while Dele (although trying) puts in another shower of a performance. Where's the motivation for Moura? A run out in our fourth round FA cup game?

His actions completely contradict his words and as soon as anyone questions him on it, he throws his toys out the pram.

It's like he's copied everything from Mourinho with the exception of winning stuff.

On November 7th this year it will be the 15th anniversary of the Memorial Service at White Hart Lane for the great Bill Nicholson OBE. He died October 23rd 2004.
The caskets of he and his wife now lie under where the two pitches (old and new) overlap. I wonder what he would make of the current situation and seeing the fans so divided on the fate of the manager.
As supporters we owe it to the memory of such club legends to forget about who is sitting in the manager's dugout next Sunday and concentrate on the eleven men representing our glorious club as they run out onto the pitch at Goodison ... whoever they may be. It's what Bill would want us to do.

(Old man sitting quietly reminiscing of times gone by on a Bank Holiday in Ireland....apologies to younger members)
:coys:

It's hindsight stuff mate, to be honest.

Were it not for Lamela's injury I'm not sure Eriksen would have been selected.

I absolutely don't see Skipp as the solution, he's not been great this year and certainly doesn't warrant a selection (unfortunately). The only way he could have been accommodated and given the opportunity to play is for him to be played in his position which meant dropping the better Winks and/or Sissoko or playing the three of them together which would also have been met with cries of FFS we are playing with THREE DM's!!

Winks wasn’t good yesterday either though and I’ve said it before that our shape can’t accommodate Winks and Sissoko together

On November 7th this year it will be the 15th anniversary of the Memorial Service at White Hart Lane for the great Bill Nicholson OBE. He died October 23rd 2004.
The caskets of he and his wife now lie under where the two pitches (old and new) overlap. I wonder what he would make of the current situation and seeing the fans so divided on the fate of the manager.
As supporters we owe it to the memory of such club legends to forget about who is sitting in the manager's dugout next Sunday and concentrate on the eleven men representing our glorious club as they run out onto the pitch at Goodison ... whoever they may be. It's what Bill would want us to do.

(Old man sitting quietly reminiscing of times gone by on a Bank Holiday in Ireland....apologies to younger members)
:coys:

Imagine what fate would await players who clearly don’t want to play for us under the great man???

Feet wouldn’t touch springs to mind

Winks wasn’t good yesterday either though and I’ve said it before that our shape can’t accommodate Winks and Sissoko together
Problem is WInks is being asked to play a role he shouldn't be. I think he'd do alright as a more traditional box to box type but I don't think he's a holding midfielder which is what is being asked of him. We can blame the player but he's simply being put in a position where he cannot succeed, that is on the manager.

We keep trying to shoe horn Sissoko into the starting 11, which I get, he is certainly an energetic player on the pitch and is capable of good moments. The problem is that he and Winks both are more CMs than DMs (obviously they are very different stylistically, Winks more of a passing CM and Sissoko more a dribbler).

I'm not a huge fan of his but with our personnel Dier simply needs to play because he's our only viable DM. Maybe Skipp can be that eventually but it would be very hard to throw him in the deep end against Liverpool. I just see no other option than playing either a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Dier in there...

Foyth-Sanchez-Jan-Davies
--Ndombele-Dier-Winks--
-----Lamela-Kane-Son-----

Foyth-Sanchez-Jan-Davies
------Ndombele-Dier-------
------Lamela-Dele-Son------
-------------Kane--------------

Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Lucas, Sissoko, Toby, Winks and Skipp can all be rotated in for minutes. We just cannot play Eriksen and Rose anymore.

Winks simply isn't good enough.
Once you realise his passing stats are bull shit as they're all simple "easy way out" passes, you realise he does nothing but hinder our progress up the pitch time and time again.

Winks simply isn't good enough.
Once you realise his passing stats are bull shit as they're all simple "easy way out" passes, you realise he does nothing but hinder our progress up the pitch time and time again.
I don't think he's that bad but he's definitely not a DM, always gets caught on the ball in dangerous places, lacks the strength and experience to retain the ball well enough. He might become a good DM but for now he's not the answer, though I suspect Poch knows that but hasn't got an alternative.

I honestly doubt Winks would get game time under any alternative Spurs manager. Especially so if playing the same position, DM, as he is currently asked to play.

I don't think he's that bad but he's definitely not a DM, always gets caught on the ball in dangerous places, lacks the strength and experience to retain the ball well enough. He might become a good DM but for now he's not the answer, though I suspect Poch knows that but hasn't got an alternative.

He has nothing. He passes it back to the CB the vast majority of the time. He offers us nothing.
Sissoko is 100 times the player Winks is. Ndombele is 20 times the player Sissoko is.
THEY should be our 2 for that formation.

Ok genius, bearing in mind the restrictions that Enic have placed in recent years, who would you have bought in on a £29mil net spend in 5 years and a summer where the club did nothing.

Give me names, and I’ll play Daniel Levy. Let’s go!

Whether he's been backed appropriately is another conversation altogether. I'm not going to sit here and blindly defend ENIC, as they're not blameless by any means.

But please do fuck off with the 'summer the club did nothing' routine. One transfer window from a six year spell is the reason we lost to Colchester? The reason we drew with Watford? The reason we let in 7 against Bayern? The reason we lost to Newcastle? To Brighton? To West Ham? To Bournemouth? To Leicester?

The manager has a squad more than capable of beating the dross listed above / not conceding 7 fucking goals at home.

Who's fault is it that he picked Toby, Rose & Eriksen yesterday (and countless other times this season)? Levy's?

Who's to blame for constantly trying to implement a formation the players cannot (or will not) adapt to? Levy?

Who fault is playing Winks & Sissoko together AGAIN, when it quite clearly doesn't work? Levy's?

Who's fault is leaving Ndombele on the bench yesterday? Levy's?

Who called Wanyama a charity case, and the asked him to come on and try to hold a lead? Levy?

Who told the world he would leave if we won the CL final while at the same time expecting 100% commitment from his players? Levy?

There's probably loads more nonsense if I could be arsed to look, but this'll do for now.

This is on Pochettino and you need your head tested if you think otherwise.

Last edited:
That quote is really worrying.

Poch seems to be implying that it's a squad game and there's not much difference between Winks and Ndombele and the former was fresh, therefore selected. That is fucking *ridiculous*. They are poles apart as players. Winks brings absolutely nothing like the options Ndombele does. He can't honestly see them as interchangeable?

Plus, if it's a squad game, why does he never actually use the squad? Moura sits there again, while Dele (although trying) puts in another shower of a performance. Where's the motivation for Moura? A run out in our fourth round FA cup game?

His actions completely contradict his words and as soon as anyone questions him on it, he throws his toys out the pram.

It's like he's copied everything from Mourinho with the exception of winning stuff.
Have you ever listened to Mourinho when he sits in the Sky Studio? The man's a fucking genius. Our guy is incoherent at the best of times. It's all vague shit and psychobabble with him.

Have you ever listened to Mourinho when he sits in the Sky Studio? The man's a fucking genius. Our guy is incoherent at the best of times. It's all vague shit and psychobabble with him.

I understood more of every different language he spoke than I do when Poch speaks English 😎
Still don't want him as our new manager though...he's a spent force.

Back
Top Bottom