Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He warned us of a painful rebuild - it’s been made worse by the failure of the club to get several players out, plus they are now paying for the inaction of summer 2018.

Overall, what I’ve learnt is a sizeable portion of our fan base are just as fragile as the Woolwich nomads they mock.

It’s the end of this group and they can’t or won’t accept it.

not the complete end, I would hope we can retain the likes of Kane and Son but yeh it does feel a lot of the team is finished whether Poch stays or goes.

I thought the signings in the summer in Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon where good, not enough but good all the same. Next two transfer windows we have to do a lot of work, particularly in the defence.

He warned us of a painful rebuild - it’s been made worse by the failure of the club to get several players out, plus they are now paying for the inaction of summer 2018.

Overall, what I’ve learnt is a sizeable portion of our fan base are just as fragile as the Woolwich nomads they mock.

The problem is that he is still playing the guys who clearly don't want to play for the club. Why does he refuse to play new signings? If Dier were healthy, Ndombele would be a cup player. If we would have signed Daniel James, Poch would leave him rotting on the bench until 3 minutes to go. Meanwhile Lucas Moura can't sniff the filed and Eriksen is making the starting 11 in the biggest game of the season. It doesn't make sense.

I'd take anyone who doesn't think it takes "18-24 months" to integrate new players into the team. Bonus points if you don't continually start players who want transfers.

But this isn’t true is it?

Son - in and out year 1, been pretty much quality since year 2

Dele started very strongly, peaked in year 2, been slowly regressing since

Trippier pretty good from year 1 faded in his last season

Sissoko was terrible as a winger found his spot as CM, been a cult hero since.

Davinson was at his best in year 1 (also the last time he played regularly)

Toby class from the jump, now in decline.

Davies generally been a solid versatile squad player throughout.

Lucas same hot and cold impact player.

Poch tried to get these players out, and he’s dropped every single one of the wantaways at some point this season and been chastised for it by fans who always know exactly what to do with the aid of hindsight.

Poch tried to get these players out, and he’s dropped every single one of the wantaways at some point this season and been chastised for it by fans who always know exactly what to do with the aid of hindsight.
Didn't need hindsight to look at that team selection for Sunday and know how it was going to turnout. Have a look at the comments made on the match thread as soon as the team sheet was announced. That wasn't 'doom and gloom' knocking on the door, it was stark reality.

yeah I agree. As tomo has said, we still have kane & son but the majority of this team is over. Some have peaked & some look a bit past it as they have got older. You could state a case for getting rid of Lloris, both Jan & Toby, rose, Eriksen, dier, dele, lamela & wanyama which I think only leaves kane & son from our peak team.
So we needed the rebuild to start in 2018 but we didn't & now we have to do a massive overhaul of players all at once which is a silly idea.

Keep list)
Son & kane
New signings
Gazza even if its as number 2
Sanchez & foyth as both have shown potential. But still a ? If they make it.
Davies, sissoko, winks & Lucas. handy squad players at worst.
Maybe I have missed out 2nor 3 more, but it highlights the need for a rebuild & overhaul.

Last edited:
I don't know if Poch realizes how dangerous his rotation game can become. I think it's instilling an unhealthy and disruptive environment over time. When players, no matter how good they play, are benched in favor of other players who have not shown anything to deserve a starting place, I don't know how well it will go, even with the new faces. Why should they put their all if the next game they won't start? Matter of fact, why would a top class player join Tottenham when it's likely he won't start right away and when he finally does and plays well, he's rotated the next game with someone who's not up to par with his performances? What does that tell you about the rewarding system promoted within the club?

But this isn’t true is it?

Son - in and out year 1, been pretty much quality since year 2

Dele started very strongly, peaked in year 2, been slowly regressing since

Trippier pretty good from year 1 faded in his last season

Sissoko was terrible as a winger found his spot as CM, been a cult hero since.

Davinson was at his best in year 1 (also the last time he played regularly)

Toby class from the jump, now in decline.

Davies generally been a solid versatile squad player throughout.

Lucas same hot and cold impact player.

Son asked to leave in his second year due to inconsistent playing time. The only way he got solidified in role was when Lamela went down to injury. Sissoko only played because we had no one else to play DM last year. He only played Trips because Walker was sold and then, believed in Trips so much he sold him. You're right on Dav and Toby.

I think our lack of key players at full back and DM are the problem. With two dynamic full backs pushing forward and a DM that cover well it enable the whole team to press forward with some comfort that they won’t get caught out.

Poch’s system like Klopp requires dynamic full backs and a highly energetic and smart DM. We don’t really have either, Sessegnon can in the future fill the left potentially but still leaves other roles. We have 3 number 8’s in Sissoko, Winks and Ndombele while Wanyama and Dier look like they have lost their legs.

I do have issues with Poch in terms of subs and using Eriksen but if we want to play the way we have for quite a number of seasons you need the personnel.
That’s been very obvious from all the recent meetings with Liverpool but yeah, it’s him not the declining ability of players, (who he wanted gone and replaced)

People have mentioned N’Dombele not being that switched on defensive and his current lack of stamina, GLC and Sessegnon are clearly not up to speed and Poch is doesn’t want to rush them. He clearly wanted all 3 so let’s stop with the stupidity.

We desperately need 2 RBs, 1 CB a minimum of 1 DM and eventually a new GK.

In terms of importance Personnel >>>> managers always. Majority Those players were never quite as good as people made out, Poch gave a lot of them a career at the elite level.

I’ve seen what he’s done whilst the club focused all its effort elsewhere but the football side.

The form has been abysmal throughout 2019 but he knew the squad was finito and the board was far from aggressive in instigating the required changes.

Look at Atletico Madrid for immediate aggression in transfers.

I don't know if Poch realizes how dangerous his rotation game can become. I think it's instilling an unhealthy and disruptive environment over time. When players, no matter how good they play, are benched in favor of other players who have not shown anything to deserve a starting place, I don't know how well it will go, even with the new faces. Why should they put their all if the next game they won't start? Matter of fact, why would a top class player join Tottenham when it's likely he won't start right away and when he finally does and plays well, he's rotated the next game with someone who's not up to par with his performances? What does that tell you about the rewarding system promoted within the club?
Which top class player does he do that too?

A painful rebuild.

I tell you what makes rebuilds slightly less painful.

Playing the new players you've purchased FOR SAID FUCKING REBUILD.

Back
Top Bottom