Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They intensified their attack and we ended up defending on our box.
They pressed us every time we tried break out, regained possession and started attacking again.

Our manager had no answer.

Did you even watch?
They had approx 75% possession in this period, it's not about them pressing for fuck sake, there was nothing to press, they were on the ball. We lost the battle out wide, one that we were comfortably winning, not giving them a sniff. What caused Eriksen/Sissoko and Son/Dele to go narrow, it wasn't pressing, it wasn't upping the intensity.

They had approx 75% possession in this period, it's not about them pressing for fuck sake, there was nothing to press, they were on the ball. We lost the battle out wide, one that we were comfortably winning, not giving them a sniff. What caused Eriksen/Sissoko and Son/Dele to go narrow, it wasn't pressing, it wasn't upping the intensity.
They pressed high, defended in our half, won possession constantly and began attacking us.
They pressed high in order to get the ball.
We didn’t respond.
That’s what happened.

They pressed high, defended in our half, won possession constantly and began attacking us.
They pressed high in order to get the ball.
We didn’t respond.
That’s what happened.
Well you know I disagree with that as I've posted a number of times now. What's the point in this back and forwards? Move on mate it's boring now. I'm just asking a specific tactical question and don't agree with what you have responded with. It's no biggie.

Well you know I disagree with that as I've posted a number of times now. What's the point in this back and forwards? Move on mate it's boring now. I'm just asking a specific tactical question and don't agree with what you have responded with. It's no biggie.
I’m not making it a biggie.
You keep asking me the same question. Little surprise you keep getting the same answer.

I think they had to go narrow to shut off the passing lanes in the middle of the park, then you just shuffle across to deal with a switched ball. It's not a terrible tactic and worked reasonably well but we just kept giving them the ball back and that was our biggest undoing.

We played with a narrow 5 in midfield from the first whistle.

I don’t think we lost the battle out wide, so much as completely surrendered it. That’s not a criticism per se, it was intentional. It was exactly what we did against City.

The problem was as soon as the ball did fall to us, Winks shat his pants (under their counter press) and kicked it straight back to them. If we were going to play like that, we *absolutely* had to play Ndombele. He is the only midfielder we have that demonstrates any sort of technical ability.

I don’t mind Poch’s tactics. I do mind his selections. Winks has zero ability in that sort of play style.

Depressing. Liverpool did to us what we used to do to teams for fun.

Question please, slightly out of context but just so as I know. If Harry Kane is unavailable who is our designated penalty taker :thumbdown: (please don't tell me Eriksen if he's playing)

It took Liverpool 56 frantic minutes to equalise. In that time they had nine shots on target to Tottenham’s one, 351 accurate passes to Spurs’ 80, 76% possession, five corners to zero corners.

I’ve had enough of him and the football but I don’t see who else to bring in as replacement
Yeah, there's not lots of top managers waiting to come in. Ones like mourinho would want far too much to spend.
If you look at which managers are doing particularly well in the premiership there's not many. Pep, klopp, then maybe wolves manager? howe? Rodgers?

Yeah, there's not lots of top managers waiting to come in. Ones like mourinho would want far too much to spend.
If you look at which managers are doing particularly well in the premiership there's not many. Pep, klopp, then maybe wolves manager? howe? Rodgers?
I'd take anyone who doesn't think it takes "18-24 months" to integrate new players into the team. Bonus points if you don't continually start players who want transfers.

He warned us of a painful rebuild - it’s been made worse by the failure of the club to get several players out, plus they are now paying for the inaction of summer 2018.

Overall, what I’ve learnt is a sizeable portion of our fan base are just as fragile as the Woolwich nomads they mock.

It’s the end of this group and they can’t or won’t accept it.

They are a better team than us, they played better than us I'm not disputing this.

I think our lack of key players at full back and DM are the problem. With two dynamic full backs pushing forward and a DM that cover well it enable the whole team to press forward with some comfort that they won’t get caught out.

Poch’s system like Klopp requires dynamic full backs and a highly energetic and smart DM. We don’t really have either, Sessegnon can in the future fill the left potentially but still leaves other roles. We have 3 number 8’s in Sissoko, Winks and Ndombele while Wanyama and Dier look like they have lost their legs.

I do have issues with Poch in terms of subs and using Eriksen but if we want to play the way we have for quite a number of seasons you need the personnel.

Back
Top Bottom