Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2 of the first 20 minutes were spent on magic sponge therapy for Aurier. And another 15 ripping the piss with time-wasting when we were taking our throw-ins and kick-outs. Now that kind of thing can happen when your 3 CMs do not want the ball under pressure, of course.

Poch's biggest problem is his inability to snap out of his comatose state and to make the hard decisions that must be made.

While Rose, Aurier, Alderweireld, Eriksen and Alli are in the team, we're not the strongest team we can be. Does Poch have the balls to drop this fivesome (Alli until he gets back to form). If he does he needs to find them soon as they are driving the nails into his coffin.

Could that be it? These players (Alli excluded) believe that since they didn't get the moves they wanted or the big money they wanted that they are going to bury Spurs for not letting them go?

Let's see how their careers pan out after 9 months without a game.

We did not play particularly well for the first 20 mins. Liverpool's final pass and crossing were sloppy. We did not press them particularly well. They kept switching the play to shift our defensive block and eventually they found their rhythm. You can imagine how conceding in the first minute would have rattled them a bit, and a little while to recover from.

What happened the other way round in the CL final, but unlike then Liverwank had a go and overturned the deficit. Whereas we shit the bed until the 65th minute and then spent 20 minutes half heartedly going after something.

It's hindsight stuff mate, to be honest.

Were it not for Lamela's injury I'm not sure Eriksen would have been selected.

I absolutely don't see Skipp as the solution, he's not been great this year and certainly doesn't warrant a selection (unfortunately). The only way he could have been accommodated and given the opportunity to play is for him to be played in his position which meant dropping the better Winks and Sissoko or playing the three of them together which would also have been met with cries of FFS we are playing with THREE DM's!!
It's all hindsight. They just change who poch should have left out & played. Most wanted aurier out the team for good. Plays well midweek & then they want him starting away to Liverpool. Loses us the game with the pen, now it's back to saying I never want to see him in a spurs shirt. "Average Davies" is suddenly a key player to them now. Until he had a bad game then it will be why did he pick average Davies. He can only pick 11 players so they just say we lost because of 1 of the players he left out. Lamela has to Start they were saying. Starts against Brighton & we get smashed. They have a list of about 16 players who should have started.

No, it’s not my answer.

It’s a piss take as to the moronic views of some of our more dim fans.

What changed was that Klopp set them to a high intensive press, and Poch sat back and watched the sea roll in and drown us.

I don’t know what there is to answer other than what happened.

Our manager didn’t respond, and then blamed winning at half time as the reason our game plan went out the window.
They didn't play through us once in the first 20mis, LFC didn't create a single chance, not a fucking sniff. We stopped their FB' on both sides, with our FB's tucking in very narrow, deliberately not engaging with their FB's. We were able to do this because Sissoko/Eriksen and Son/Lamela stopped LFC from getting behind, IT WAS WORKING. My question is what tactically changed either for LFC or us. What caused Son/Dele to come inside, what caused Eriksen/Sissoko to come inside?

The answer isn't because "they pressed high". I couldn't spot what specifically changed, I haven't watched the game back. I could see what was happening but not why. It had nothing to do with pressing, we were winning the ball off them in midfield, we would turn the ball over out wide, LFC fans were silent and getting frustrated, we were in complete control and playing a mix of long ball and playing through them at this point. It was good, we were good.

We dropped 10-15m deeper, why? Players that kept their wide players quite by working well together staying wide, blocking passing lanes, challenging for the ball and between them turning the ball over stopped doing this and came inside, why? (was it Kane from dropping to deep and not being able to hold the ball up? Was it Kane being too isolated, if so why were we no longer able to support him?)

Understanding these elements is part of analysing the game without the bollocks and narrative. Without the rage and ridiculous overreaction. It helps (me at least) get a handle on issues and/or improvements. Allows me to put context to a game.

It's just a tactical question I'm asking as I wasn't able to identify at all the cause of it during the match, even though I could clearly see what the effect was. I like to think that most games I have a handle or an idea on these things, I don't for this game.

Loads of questions but 2018 transfers nor they set up to press high isn't the specific answer for the change of control. We choice to counter, something our fanbase has been screaming for Poch to do everytime we play Liverpool (I'm not expecting us to maintain the control we had against them, this would be unrealistic but I feel we failed to address effectively the change (whatever it was) which is why I feel it's important and significant.

I’ve had enough of him and the football but I don’t see who else to bring in as replacement
At those point I’d take Ian Holloway in until the end of the season! At least we’d have something to laugh about!

It’d also be interesting to see what a manager like that would be able to do with a significantly stronger squad than what he’s used to. Might show Poch up!

Ndombele is blowing out of his arse by 60mis, almost everyone has noticed this. He's not been that good when asked to defend, almost everyone has noticed this. Why the fuck would you put him into an environment that will play directly to his current weaknesses, when you can put him into an environment that will play to his strengths? I simply do not get the logic at all.
He was fine playing 90 mins mid week, maybe if Poch took him off in the 70th with the game won against red star, he would be able to at least play 3/4 of the game against Liverpool. Even if he could only play 60 mins I'd rather that than him only getting 30 mins.

We did not play particularly well for the first 20 mins. Liverpool's final pass and crossing were sloppy. We did not press them particularly well. They kept switching the play to shift our defensive block and eventually they found their rhythm. You can imagine how conceding in the first minute would have rattled them a bit, and a little while to recover from.
They didn't create a single effort, not one. I don't believe (going off memory) they got behind us out wide during the first 20mins and as a result, their crosses were from miles out and hurried, meaning the quality was poor and as a consequence, we dealt with everything that came into the box. Their crossing and passing was poor because of us and what we were doing.

Then it changed.

They didn't play through us once in the first 20mis, LFC didn't create a single chance, not a fucking sniff. We stopped their FB' on both sides, with our FB's tucking in very narrow, deliberately not engaging with their FB's. We were able to do this because Sissoko/Eriksen and Son/Lamela stopped LFC from getting behind, IT WAS WORKING. My question is what tactically changed either for LFC or us. What caused Son/Dele to come inside, what caused Eriksen/Sissoko to come inside?

The answer isn't because "they pressed high". I couldn't spot what specifically changed, I haven't watched the game back. I could see what was happening but not why. It had nothing to do with pressing, we were winning the ball off them in midfield, we would turn the ball over out wide, LFC fans were silent and getting frustrated, we were in complete control and playing a mix of long ball and playing through them at this point. It was good, we were good.

We dropped 10-15m deeper, why? Players that kept their wide players quite by working well together staying wide, blocking passing lanes, challenging for the ball and between them turning the ball over stopped doing this and came inside, why? (was it Kane from dropping to deep and not being able to hold the ball up? Was it Kane being too isolated, if so why were we no longer able to support him?)

Understanding these elements is part of analysing the game without the bollocks and narrative. Without the rage and ridiculous overreaction. It helps (me at least) get a handle on issues and/or improvements. Allows me to put context to a game.

It's just a tactical question I'm asking as I wasn't able to identify at all the cause of it during the match, even though I could clearly see what the effect was. I like to think that most games I have a handle or an idea on these things, I don't for this game.

Loads of questions but 2018 transfers nor they set up to press high isn't the specific answer for the change of control. We choice to counter, something our fanbase has been screaming for Poch to do everytime we play Liverpool (I'm not expecting us to maintain the control we had against them, this would be unrealistic but I feel we failed to address effectively the change (whatever it was) which is why I feel it's important and significant.

They upped their game and we didn’t respond is the short answer.

You dont know what happened but you say with great confidence what didn’t.

He was fine playing 90 mins mid week, maybe if Poch took him off in the 70th with the game won against red star, he would be able to at least play 3/4 of the game against Liverpool. Even if he could only play 60 mins I'd rather that than him only getting 30 mins.
It was against Red Star and easier opponent so therefore far less intensity that against LFC (he hasn't been able to remain on the pitch against lesser oppo but still more intense than Red Star). The fact he managed the 90 was good, it's all part of building him up. He was our best player on the night for me and I'd rather he spends his games against those sides putting in those types of performances than camped on the edge of our box with oppo players running off the back of him and getting slaughtered from fans, pundits and rival fans alike.

They upped their game and we didn’t respond is the short answer.

You dont know what happened but you say with great confidence what didn’t.
The game was played at a high intensity from the off, they were 2nd best to most of what we were doing. I saw no signs of them upping their intensity. I did see them tactically getting the better of us in the second 20min period but I can't see why, I can see the specifics that changed. I see us drop deeper, why? I see us losing out in wide areas, I know why, we played narrower but WHY?

The game was played at a high intensity from the off, they were 2nd best to most of what we were doing. I saw no signs of them upping their intensity. I did see them tactically getting the better of us in the second 20min period but I can't see why, I can see the specifics that changed. I see us drop deeper, why? I see us losing out in wide areas, I know why, we played narrower but WHY?

They upped their intensity and we didn’t respond.
It’s not Steven Hawking land mate, it’s just a team on fire with a better manager beat us.

Back
Top Bottom