Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Worth postponing the decision to appeal/accept it until Thursday just so that Poch can be on the touchline against Chelsea?

Depends on the number of matches he could get a ban for:

> Chelsea (A)
> Woolwich (H)
> Southampton (A)
> Liverpool (A)

If it's a three-match ban then I guess you'd rather have it now than miss him against Liverpool.
He has TIL 1800 on Thursday 28th feb to respond so will be fine for the Chelsea game

Dean is a massive Cunt, that there is no arguing, but his performance saturday was nowhere near as bad as Oliver against Leicester. That is the single worst performance I have seen from a ref EVER.. Booking Son for diving on what was a clear penalty, giving Leicester a pen for the softest of tackles, not giving us ONE single foul until halfway through the 2nd half..
Now, i'd like to see Dean sandblasted and then covered in salt but if ever a ref needed investigating it's Michael Oliver.
Especially as he's been responsible for several decision this season in favour of liverpool
See Penalty decision for spurs not given

I seem to recall certain pioneering managers preferring a view of Liverpool-Spurs from the second tier anyway.
:sherwoodlol:

You're right, in fairness, that it won't have a big effect regardless. I don't think we've been in this position with Poch before, have we?
Yeah, this is the first time I can remember that he has gotten in trouble.

Thing is, in a court of law, you'd HAVE to hear both sides of the argument to make a reasoned judgement on who was to blame. Why is football any different?

Yes, Poch over reacted... but to WHAT? He was pissed off about the (non) corner, as well he might... but even he must've realised we got an equally lucky break with the Rose throw in that led to the goal...
Whatever was said by Dean was separate from that... and if he DID say anything that would question his loyalty/bias/ability to Ref another game involving us fairly, then surely they should throw the book at him.

Refs HAVE to be impartial, not have a vested interest in the outcome...

I can understand that football pundits can be skewed, or biased, based mainly on who they played for/support... but THEY can't directly affect the outcome of a game, they merely comment on it!

Refs have to be 100% impartial, or else what's the point??
I believe refs are impartial.

But thinking harder on it maybe it's a deliberate move by Poch to not have Dean ref our games again for a while. He's missed at least 3 blatant pens for us this season alone and at least two others last season, maybe Poch was being a bit smart and drawing attention to it? Or maybe Poch was doing a Mourinho and following a poor team performance he's taking the heat off the players and getting the attention brought upon him??

Whatever it is Poch will get a fine, regardless of what Dean said to him to was Poch who confronted Dean at the final whilst.

Especially as he's been responsible for several decision this season in favour of liverpool
See Penalty decision for spurs not given

Exactly, I was waiting for him to award Liverpool a pen yesterday but there wasn’t even one close to be given.. His bias to Liverpool is beyond ridiculous but yet he doesn’t have to explain himself.
The way our refs are protected is insane.

As I said, nothing snarky about the question, just a straight up question to see what you'd prefer as we go about what we're doing at the moment.

In response to your question regarding why anyone would turn down a cup for CL revenue. We can't say for certain if that money has or hasn't been used for the greater good as we don't know the clubs strategy for paying off debt etc but we have during this time broke our transfer record twice, one time rather substantially by a further £10m-£12m on top of what we'd paid previously on Sanchez if rumoured fees are to be believed and our wages as a club were £100.4m in the season that Pochettino took over. I'm not sure what our wages are this season with no financials out yet but what I do know is that the rumoured wages we pay Kane, Dele & Pochettino present day equates to 25% of what our wage bill was when Poch first took over. A quarter of we could afford to spend on the whole club 4-5 years ago now split between just 3 people, 2 footballers and the manager.

The Champions League money is being used it seems, we just ain't seeing it based on shiny new toys we get to look at every weekend.

We broke our transfer record ( although it appears it’s £27 million with various clauses) in a market that experienced rapid fee inflation. Everton paid £45 million for Siguardson, West Ham paid £40 million for Anderson. Solanke commanded a fee of £19 million which could rise to £25 million with virtually no PL games to his name. Thats what the domestic television increases has caused - it’s rapdily increased wage and fee inflation. The simple fact is Levy is never going to increase our cost base on such an unstable revenue stream - that’s precisely the Leeds United model. It’s not happening. It’s quite clear what it is being used for - they look to use it towards the stadium because it pays their debt off with quicker and therefore maximises their profit on sale. Even if it wasn’t the revenue isn’t great enough to make a major impact. It’s not about qualifying you have to also be successful in order to generate revenue.

We broke our transfer record ( although it appears it’s £27 million with various clauses) in a market that experienced rapid fee inflation. Everton paid £45 million for Siguardson, West Ham paid £40 million for Anderson. Solanke commanded a fee of £19 million which could rise to £25 million with virtually no PL games to his name. Thats what the domestic television increases has caused - it’s rapdily increased wage and fee inflation. The simple fact is Levy is never going to increase our cost base on such an unstable revenue stream - that’s precisely the Leeds United model. It’s not happening. It’s quite clear what it is being used for - they look to use it towards the stadium because it pays their debt off with quicker and therefore maximises their profit on sale. Even if it wasn’t the revenue isn’t great enough to make a major impact. It’s not about qualifying you have to also be successful in order to generate revenue.
I have said something similar in the past regarding many Fan's think the stadium will be our saviour but from what I can see is that nothing will change other than enics profit margin increasing.
Yes your correct that the successful club's generate more revenue it's blatantly obvious as we have seen since the rise of city from where they were a decade ago.

So what would you do different then? We've got to multiple semi finals and a final under Poch, losing to Chelsea & Man U along the way in those latter stages so it's not as if we've been blowing it time and time again at the early stages.

Winning something along the way will of course add to the success but we've got the biggest debt in football at the moment with a squad that needs a few to depart before we can bring others in. We've only just been able to squeeze Foyth into the Champions League squad due to our HG/nonHG predicament & our ability to move Dembele on before his contract expired in the summer.

You say we ain't spending because the owners want to remove the debt as quickly as possible to sell. That's speculative thinking and far too suspicious towards the current set up as there's no substance behind your reasoning that backs that claim up.

As mentioned before & there's nothing snarky in it, would you rather we finish 5th and win a cup or continue top 4? What would you do different with money being tight?

So what would you do different then? We've got to multiple semi finals and a final under Poch, losing to Chelsea & Man U along the way in those latter stages so it's not as if we've been blowing it time and time again at the early stages.

Winning something along the way will of course add to the success but we've got the biggest debt in football at the moment with a squad that needs a few to depart before we can bring others in. We've only just been able to squeeze Foyth into the Champions League squad due to our HG/nonHG predicament & our ability to move Dembele on before his contract expired in the summer.

You say we ain't spending because the owners want to remove the debt as quickly as possible to sell. That's speculative thinking and far too suspicious towards the current set up as there's no substance behind your reasoning that backs that claim up.

As mentioned before & there's nothing snarky in it, would you rather we finish 5th and win a cup or continue top 4? What would you do different with money being tight?

We have lost to Crystal Palace twice in the FA cup during his tenure, we lose to the most decent teams in the domestic cups. People continually reference those FA cup semi finals - the reality is we played absolutely no one of the note - the best team we played across both competitions was Leicester who put out a reserve team. We got taken to replays against by the likes of Rochdale and Newport. And it is not just the FA cup - we got dumped out of the UEFA cup in the season United won by a middle table Belgium side over 2 legs.

As to what I would do differently? Well altering our appalling attitude to such tournaments would be a start. The notion that a club that hasn’t won anything in 11 years has ‘higher priorities’ and that tournaments like the FA cup won’t change us is absolutely absurd. We have a qualification culture running right throughout the club - we’ve essentially become Woolwich 2007- 2012. So breaking that mindset would be a start - actually making use of what we have rather than squandering this year in year out.

As for being suspicious of the owners - everyone knows their intention to sell, that’s where they will make their money and they maximise that profit it the debt is not there. But that isn’t what is hindering us - we have had a team good enough to win major silverware going on 5 seasons now. The real issue is with the coach and warped mindset when it comes to the tournaments that represent our best chance of silverware

We have lost to Crystal Palace twice in the FA cup during his tenure, we lose to the most decent teams in the domestic cups. People continually reference those FA cup semi finals - the reality is we played absolutely no one of the note - the best team we played across both competitions was Leicester who put out a reserve team. We got taken to replays against by the likes of Rochdale and Newport. And it is not just the FA cup - we got dumped out of the UEFA cup in the season United won by a middle table Belgium side over 2 legs.

As to what I would do differently? Well altering our appalling attitude to such tournaments would be a start. The notion that a club that hasn’t won anything in 11 years has ‘higher priorities’ and that tournaments like the FA cup won’t change us is absolutely absurd. We have a qualification culture running right throughout the club - we’ve essentially become Woolwich 2007- 2012. So breaking that mindset would be a start - actually making use of what we have rather than squandering this year in year out.

As for being suspicious of the owners - everyone knows their intention to sell, that’s where they will make their money and they maximise that profit it the debt is not there. But that isn’t what is hindering us - we have had a team good enough to win major silverware going on 5 seasons now. The real issue is with the coach and warped mindset when it comes to the tournaments that represent our best chance of silverware
How does "everyone knows" that it's the owners intention to sell ?

I haven't seen that anywhere, except for people 2nd guessing.

It is pure speculation, nothing else.

What are you talking about? Last season we lost the semi to United, who finished 2nd place ahead of us in the league. Season before that we lost the semi to the champions Chelsea.

What are you talking about? Last season we lost the semi to United, who finished 2nd place ahead of us in the league. Season before that we lost the semi to the champions Chelsea.

I think he means we haven't actually beaten anyone of note to get to those semi finals and at the times we met a decent opponent (United, Chelsea), we actually lost.

Though we DID beat Woolwich away in the League Cup this season (for only the second time in 15+ years) and beat Chelsea too in the first leg of the semi final

I knew Poch would face a ban, they don't want him around for the Chelsea/Woolwich games, it’s so blatantly corrupt in this league it pisses me off.

I am slightly disappointed in Poch as well for backing down and not exposing what Dean said, Fergie would have never backed down in a situation like that.

I would LOVE to know what that cunt Dean said to make Poch flip like that. I can only imagine it was pretty out of order. I hate that fucker.
Some bloke on a podcast said he'd been told that Dean had goaded Poch for bottling the title: 'Get over it, you just lost the league.'

Could be total bollocks, but he was an old feller who seemed pretty well connected.

Back
Top Bottom