Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am honestly not convinced that if you took Hazard and Kante out of their squad that Chelsea player for player are better than us despite the huge investment.

Are you?

Do I think we have a different level of quality in certain areas based on our starting XI? Yes I do, I also think Chelsea and Man City have deeper squad depth.

In the early rounds of the FA Cup & Carabao Cup Chelsea started the likes of Ampadu, Christensen, Cahill, Emerson, Zappacosta, Loftus-Cheek, Cabalerro etc. How many of those have started Premier League games? I don't know the numbers but I bet that lot have played more games in the cups than the league this season.

Poch prioritises as much as he's able to with the squad he has. I firmly believe that and I believe Sarri priotised the cups as much as Poch, it's just for every Skipp we have, they have a Loftus-Cheek, for a Walker-Peters they have a Zappacosta etc

I hope Pochettino sees how much winning the least important competition matters..

Winners believe they are winners.

He’s pretty much outlined his feelings on this - it’s not a priority and it doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. It is that type of mentality is why we haven’t won anything under him and most likely never will.

Guaranteed he gets a touchline ban for the Chelsea and Woolwich games.

Anything to put us at a disadvantage.

Depends if he was provoked or not, surely?

It's not like he directly targeted Dean after the game (or during), it was only after Dean said something to him that Poch changed his tone.

He’s pretty much outlined his feelings on this - it’s not a priority and it doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. It is that type of mentality is why we haven’t won anything under him and most likely never will.

5th & the Carabao Cup or 4th & qualification for the Champions League? What do you think benefits the club more at present?

Nothing snarky, just a straight up question

To be fair to Poch, he did well to beat West Ham away, Woolwich away, and Chelsea at Wembley all in the League Cup this year. I actually have no problem with that, except the obvious of not being able to play for a 0-0 at Stamford Bridge in a second leg. But three out of four big games won and going out on pens ain't bad, considering how he usually does. An improvement.

To be fair to Poch, he did well to beat West Ham away, Woolwich away, and Chelsea at Wembley all in the League Cup this year. I actually have no problem with that, except the obvious of not being able to play for a 0-0 at Stamford Bridge in a second leg. But three out of four big games won and going out on pens ain't bad, considering how he usually does. An improvement.
Agreed, and with a fit squad we get to the final.

I actually think he changed his attitude towards the cups this season (of which I am glad). The players were at fault for the shitshow against Palace, though there were also injury issues at play there too.
Poch's comments about the cups being less important than the league and CL after the event was a combination of honesty and compensating for the losses more than anything else.

5th & the Carabao Cup or 4th & qualification for the Champions League? What do you think benefits the club more at present?

Nothing snarky, just a straight up question

This old chestnut - it’s one or the other hey?

The question is do I believe £50 million is worth more than a cup and clearly it is not.

It a market where Siguardson commands a £45 million fee ( not even factoring his wages in). What benefit does it bring us exactly?

The real question is why on earth would anyone turn down a cup for CL revenue when we have seen it has done little for us in the last 4 years.

I dont think Poch disregards "cups", but rather prioritizes the top 4 for commercial reasons and in terms of player retention. When pressed by media, often they are leading questions. Yet, he will in his own way say time and again, of course we want to win cups, silverware etc.

Ideally, we would have a squad depth that could do both, but that is easier said than done. EG, this year, some 38 injuries, no new ground finalised, and yet we find ourselves 3rd on the ladder. I think you are being harsh in regards as to what has the last 4 years delivered mate. It has delivered a team that is competing the the PL consistently, has kept the core of its key players, has a new stadia around the corner, and a bright future. So in essence the CL revenue has been a massive factor overall.

In addition, how much of a factor for players is competing in the CL year in year out ?

Would a League or FA Cup be nice ? Absolutely.

Frustrated as we are, I can see Poch delivering success in the years ahead.

Last edited:
This old chestnut - it’s one or the other hey?

The question is do I believe £50 million is worth more than a cup and clearly it is not.

It a market where Siguardson commands a £45 million fee ( not even factoring his wages in). What benefit does it bring us exactly?

The real question is why on earth would anyone turn down a cup for CL revenue when we have seen it has done little for us in the last 4 years.

As I said, nothing snarky about the question, just a straight up question to see what you'd prefer as we go about what we're doing at the moment.

In response to your question regarding why anyone would turn down a cup for CL revenue. We can't say for certain if that money has or hasn't been used for the greater good as we don't know the clubs strategy for paying off debt etc but we have during this time broke our transfer record twice, one time rather substantially by a further £10m-£12m on top of what we'd paid previously on Sanchez if rumoured fees are to be believed and our wages as a club were £100.4m in the season that Pochettino took over. I'm not sure what our wages are this season with no financials out yet but what I do know is that the rumoured wages we pay Kane, Dele & Pochettino present day equates to 25% of what our wage bill was when Poch first took over. A quarter of we could afford to spend on the whole club 4-5 years ago now split between just 3 people, 2 footballers and the manager.

The Champions League money is being used it seems, we just ain't seeing it based on shiny new toys we get to look at every weekend.

As I said, nothing snarky about the question, just a straight up question to see what you'd prefer as we go about what we're doing at the moment.

In response to your question regarding why anyone would turn down a cup for CL revenue. We can't say for certain if that money has or hasn't been used for the greater good as we don't know the clubs strategy for paying off debt etc but we have during this time broke our transfer record twice, one time rather substantially by a further £10m-£12m on top of what we'd paid previously on Sanchez if rumoured fees are to be believed and our wages as a club were £100.4m in the season that Pochettino took over. I'm not sure what our wages are this season with no financials out yet but what I do know is that the rumoured wages we pay Kane, Dele & Pochettino present day equates to 25% of what our wage bill was when Poch first took over. A quarter of we could afford to spend on the whole club 4-5 years ago now split between just 3 people, 2 footballers and the manager.

The Champions League money is being used it seems, we just ain't seeing it based on shiny new toys we get to look at every weekend.

At the end of the day who do you think gets revered more, the double winning team of 1961 or the consistent and money generating team of 2015-present day. Unless we do the unlikely and win the CL this season we will have gone 11 years without a trophy.

It's not always the case, granted, but I think winning a first major trophy would help massively in winning more.

Do you think with a trophy in hand and seeing the result of the Liverscum game yesterday has put City's belief and confidence through the roof?

At the end of the day who do you think gets revered more, the double winning team of 1961 or the consistent and money generating team of 2015-present day. Unless we do the unlikely and win the CL this season we will have gone 11 years without a trophy.

It's not always the case, granted, but I think winning a first major trophy would help massively in winning more.

Do you think with a trophy in hand and seeing the result of the Liverscum game yesterday has put City's belief and confidence through the roof?

People need to face up to reality that money is the lifeblood of football clubs these days, not what you can stick in a trophy cabinet. You're comparing our current group with another that is nearly 60 years past when it existed. Trophies are a beautiful thing to win but top 4 is giving us far greater tools to stay competitive based on everything that comes with it.

We get £10m just for beating Dortmund compared to the £6m you get for winning the FA Cup and whilst a cup would be great it's financial suicide to risk losing out on the money our newfound status in Europe brings us when we have leveraged the largest debt the club or most if any club globally has ever generated for itself. The short term is important yes, but never at the expense of the long term that ultimately is the most important thing for the club at the moment.

Wenger won 3 FA Cups in his last 5 seasons, Poch has qualified for the Champions League the last 3. Who's getting touted for the big jobs and who's getting gigs working for Al Jazeera TV? Trophies would be nice but it's not critical for us in a very delicate time for the history of Spurs, fans simply have to be patient and let the club do what it's doing without any added pressure of demand or unrest.

A trophy would help but only as it gets the monkey of the backs of the club, the players and the manager. It's a hugely competitive league and we have one of the smallest squads compared to the other ones fighting for those places so we have to prioritise, we have little choice but to and that means the early rounds of the FA Cup & League could get pushed to the bottom of the heap. 3 or 4 semi finals and a cup Final in Pochettinos first five seasons really isn't as bad as some are making out

Last edited:
People need to face up to reality that money is the lifeblood of football clubs these days, not what you can stick in a trophy cabinet. You're comparing our current group with another that is nearly 60 years past when it existed. Trophies are a beautiful think to win but top 4 is giving us far greater tools to stay competitive based on everything that comes with it.

We get £10m just for beating Dortmund compared to the £6m you get for winning the FA Cup and whilst a cup would be great it's financial suicide to risk losing out on the money our newfound status in Europe brings us when we have leveraged the largest debt the club or most if any club globally has ever generated for itself. The short term is important yes, but never a time the expense of the long term that ultimately is the most important thing for the club at the moment.

Wenger won 3 FA Cups in the last 5 seasons, Poch has qualified for the Champions League the last 4. Who's getting routed for the big jobs and who's getting gigs working for Al Jazeera TV? Trophies would be nice but it's not critical for us in a very delicate time for the history of Spurs, fans simply have to be patient and let the club do what it's doing without any added pressure of demand or unrest

And as the money in the game increases, it becomes more and more important.

And as the money in the game increases, it becomes more and more important.

If we'd have won a cup every season Poch has qualified for the Champions League instead, we'd have about £200m less for our troubles meaning less chance of keeping Kane, Dele etc and a shit load longer to have to pay off the £1bn Northumberland project we are pushing through with. Our wage ceiling would be closer to Watfords than it is the other top 6, we would and could easily fall into mid table mediocrity during that time and could easily find it a real struggle to claw back to where we are now.

We've invested the money doing what we can to keep the nucleus that's got us there together, bar one or two who will inevitably want to leave for their own reasons and careers but keepingnas business as usual for as long as we can until we see the genuine rewards of upgrading our facilities and club the focus is and has to be on the money more than anything else.

Since Woolwich acquired the land at Ashburton Grove for their new stadium c1999/2000 where debt would have been raised they've had to sell or release the following players to bigger clubs:

Anelka
Petit
Overmars
Van Bronckhorst
Viera
Ashley Cole
Henry
Hleb
Kolo Toure
Adebayor
Clichy
Nasri
Fabregas
Alex Song
Van Persie
Sagna
Vermaelen
Szcezeny
Giroud
Alexis Sanchez
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Ramsey

Before then I honesty can't remember a big player leaving them for elsewhere. 22 players who they've had to let go of to bigger clubs because moving into a new stadium, along with poor financial management knocked them off of their perch. Too many were allowed to dwindle down their contracts and it left Woolwich having to sell more to keep tiptoeing around the cost of how to grow.

If we act more prudent and use the money we generate from the Champions League which is vast in comparison to a domestic Cup win we reduce the need to have to do similar in the future. Growth comes at a cost and it that means a lack of signings whilst keeping with a tried and tested group for as long as we can string it out, that's just how it is. The Champions League is a god send at the moment, it's giving us genuine breathing space from worst case scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom