Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes look where we are now - we have had 2 of the most talented Spurs sides in a generation but no silverware in over a decade to show for it. That should absolutely warrant critique and discussion - it’s would be bizarre not too.
So you supportered Alan Sugars tenure right? Every manager and every player? Do you seriously see what a stupid statement that is? A supporters role is to defend the interests of the club - to hold those those that represent it are held to account. Daniel Levy, Pochettino, the players - they are not the club - the supporters are.
I get what you are saying but what or who do you feel you are holding to account at the moment??

The club management who are delivering a truly world class stadium on the back on world class training facilities?
The players who are performing and largely delivering for the last 3 years?
The manager who is honest and honourable and coaching our young team to a very high standard?

I saw your comment elsewhere about our best players in a generation and lack of silverware but we are not alone in having a fantastic generation of players.

We are competing with Man City and Liverpool who also arguably have their best teams for a generation, Chelsea who you could possibly lump in with them and Man Utd who although not at their previously very high standard have some very good players who can pull it out on their day.

Some people are just never happy with their lot and all I ever see from you is negative, nothing positive. I don't always agree with the views of John Thomas John Thomas but he criticises and praises.

And I did support Alan Sugar when he first took over as he saved us from bankruptcy and potentially a far worse fate. It went pear shaped eventually but such is life.

We are in such a good place at the moment for our club, yes there will be ups and downs still along the way but try and enjoy it.

Hey man, you're the one chatting about dwindling fanbases. Don't start nuttin', won't be nuttin'. You noshers can't handle it. Even 6 on 1. So much for safety in numbers.

It's is revealing that you ally yourself with a guy who mocked a Spurs players' mental health and abused him every chance he got. But that's you, isn't it John? You're willing to piss all over anything and everything Spurs for a little bump of your ego. It's why you rally around anyone who echoes your point, even if they are a gooner, even if they've abused you previously. You need the validation. One minute you're slagging Spurs legend Glenn Hoddle off (Glenn with two n's John) and the next when he says something you agree with, suddenly he's your boy again. You're a turncoat, John.

I see you haven't answered the question again. Is it fear of the answer or what?

Here, I'll answer your question. Show you how it's done. Poch has no control over what Guillem Balugue puts out, if he chooses to. He has influence, but if Poch was to say don't put something out, Balague can just say no. In the first iteration of the book, Poch spoke on it, put his blessing on it. He hasn't in this update as far as I can see. Does that not say something to you?

I'll also answer another question of managers that have walked out on lucrative contracts. Seeing as your football knowledge is so poor you can't think of them yourself.

Jose Mourinho
Pep Guardiola
Zinedine Zidane
Arsene Wenger
Carlos Quieroz
Jacques Santini

Would you like more? No magic, just humans. So, I destroy your answer with facts once more.

This is what happens, John, when your opponent knows more than you and all you have is unverifiable opinionated conjecture and I have fact.

Now, answer the question, if you aren't too scared.

You've doubled down on saying there is an ultimatum. But then you're saying Poch didn't go through with it because he's paid well.

So you're saying the ultimatum was all bluster and Levy called his bluff and Poch bottled it?

Christ, not only are you content on pissing on Spurs at every opportunity, you're now pissing on the man that has improved us no end in his time here.

You aren't Spurs. You think you are because you pay moeny to go. But that's all your life is, about the money. Money is validation for you. Whether it's Spurs spending it, or you. If you spend, you're valued by John.

Proper Spurs SUPPORT the club through thick and thin, the football, the manager and the players, and take enjoyment from it without haven't to resort to this bullshit.

The club would be better off without the likes of you following it.
No one is going to walk on a lucrative contract that they have just signed weeks ago. I think thats just basic human decency to show some sort of gratitude.

I get what you are saying but what or who do you feel you are holding to account at the moment??

The club management who are delivering a truly world class stadium on the back on world class training facilities?
The manager who is honest and honourable and coaching our young team to a very high standard?

I saw your comment elsewhere about our best players in a generation and lack of silverware but we are not alone in having a fantastic generation of players.

We are competing with Man City and Liverpool who also arguably have their best teams for a generation, Chelsea who you could possibly lump in with them and Man Utd who although not at their previously very high standard have some very good players who can pull it out on their day.

Some people are just never happy with their lot and all I ever see from you is negative, nothing positive. I don't always agree with the views of John Thomas John Thomas but he criticises and praises.

And I did support Alan Sugar when he first took over as he saved us from bankruptcy and potentially a far worse fate. It went pear shaped eventually but such is life.

We are in such a good place at the moment for our club, yes there will be ups and downs still along the way but try and enjoy it.

The board and the manager - the prioritisation is CL football Pochettino even said that it’s their first objective. When the club has built a team this talented that simply shouldn’t be the case. There is absolutely no urgency for silverware in any facet of the club. If vastly inferior Woolwich and United sides can win 6 trophies between them whilst we have nothing then questions need to be raised.

The investment in our infrastructure is a huge achievement but how long does this praise extend too? The training ground was finished six years ago whilst the stadium is virtually complete. We are rapidly running out of excuses here - the issue hasn’t been financial in the last 4 years, it’s always been about the culture and strategy at the club.

If you think that’s being negative then so be it - the penny dropped after the Palace cup defeat. The disconnect between our league form and our domestic cup form is clear to see. And when you have a manager openly state that the club has higher priorities, talks about such trophies being a distraction then is any wonder why we haven’t won anything.Its Redknapp all over again. Just how many more talented teams have to go to waste, how many more years have to be pass without silverware before the supporterbase finally realises that something isn’t right here?

Last edited:

giphy.gif

The board and the manager - the prioritisation is CL football Pochettino even said that it’s their first objective. When the club has built a team this talented that simply shouldn’t be the case. There is absolutely no urgency for silverware in any facet of the club. If vastly inferior Woolwich and United sides can win 6 trophies between them whilst we have nothing then questions need to be raised.

The investment in our infrastructure is a huge achievement but how long does this praise extend too? The training ground was finished six years ago whilst the stadium is virtually complete. We are rapidly running out of excuses here - the issue hasn’t been financial in the last 4 years, it’s always been about the culture and strategy at the club.

If you think that’s being negative then so be it - the penny dropped after the Palace cup defeat. The disconnect between our league form and our domestic cup form is clear to see. And when you have a manager openly state that the club has higher priorities, talks about such trophies being a distraction then is any wonder why we haven’t won anything.Its Redknapp all over again. Just how many more talented teams have to go to waste, how many more years have to be pass without silverware before the supporterbase finally realises that something isn’t right here?
I also think we need to win some cup now. Anything at all. Not just for the reasons of getting to celebrate something but it would be a big milestone of our progress.

I know Mancity has a completely different model of running their club, but the first thing they won was an FA Cup and the next year they won the league. Winning a cup wasnt that important when we were languishing between 8-15, that wasnt going to help us push on. But for the current team, any little cup win will help build up the confidence to succeed.

Some time ago I felt top 4 was more important because it helped getting better players in the transfer window and obviously getting to play in the CL. But seeing how horribly the last transfer window went even with our involvement in the CL, a cup win is a much better option.

John Thomas John Thomas still not seeing any posts where I called Danny Rose ''worthless''?
I answered that earlier, ya slimey slug

Sorry i misquoted your abuse towards Danny. Fat snake was it, not worthless snake.
Oh right. My bad, I guess

Stop repeating yourself like some kind of crazy obsessive.

You falsely accused me of disrespecting our captain last night but look. I've let it go. I've moved on.

The rest of the board have had enough of this handbag fight clogging up the thread.. dont you think?

I answered that earlier, ya slimey slug

Stop repeating yourself like some kind of crazy obsessive.

You falsely accused me of disrespecting our captain last night but look. I've let it go. I've moved on.

The rest of the board have had enough of this handbag fight clogging up the thread.. dont you think?
So you freely admit you just throw out lying bullshit whenever you're flustered. Not the greatest debate tactic. But unsurprising from a man like yourself.

It was you that put the worthless tag on Rose, not me. You'd do well to remember that.

It’s just not fair to say there’s “no urgency for trophies”, at best it’s an over simplification that ignores obvious priorities and it also ignores some fundamental financial advantages that clubs like ManC, Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea and Woolwich still have over us that on one off occasions, or small tournaments (cups) can count.

In the last 4 years we've had one final and two semi-finals in domestic cups, whilst also having three CL finishes.

In those final and semi-finals we lost to teams with bigger resources, deeper squads, who won the league (twice) and finished 2nd (above us) in those seasons. They had on their bench(s) players like Mata, Martial, Hazard, Costa, Fabregas etc. And had managers who’d won a plethora of trophies.

And in none of those games were we outplayed. In a couple of them we were just outsmarted or out talented. In none of those games did we lack urgency.

Our resources always mean trying to compete in four competitions is going to be a stretch, even the Uber clubs struggle with it. But there has to be a clear hierarchy of priorities. And it’s pretty much the same for all the top sides.

Last edited:
Bielsa is well known as a bit of a nutcase though. No club has wanted him for more than a year or 2. Poch seems like a much more sensible man.
He leaves because his players legs fall off around February time...

Regarding Poch imo if he issued an ultimatum he would have followed through with it, I know from first hand accounts how much he values "honour" and "respect" and he really would follow through if he felt he was lied to.

He leaves because his players legs fall off around February time...

Regarding Poch imo if he issued an ultimatum he would have followed through with it, I know from first hand accounts how much he values "honour" and "respect" and he really would follow through if he felt he was lied to.
Of course we dont know if there was an ultimatum or not. But if someone has promised they will buy players , gives you a 5 year contract that comes to 40m+ and then says you know I tried my best, just couldnt manage to sign the players we wanted. You would give them at least 1 transfer window to fail at.

Of course if Levy comes up empty handed again next summer, thats a different story. Not that I believe there was an ultimatum, but I am hoping Poch did want signings and Levy just failed. If what was said about how there wasnt anyone available in our price range that would improve the squad is true....then Id be worried as fuck about our scouting. I am much happier accepting that levy fucked up with the haggling and last minute nonsense , and lessons are learnt.

Also about Bielsa, leaving because his players legs fall off. More proof of being a complete nutcase. Poch is far more sensible even if him forcing Dembele to play almost every match is not.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see us win some silverware and personally I would take that instead on CL football if need be but I also can't argue with the fact that having CL football and the income and exposure it gives us is bigger for the club these days. I grew up believing that winning the FA Cup was bigger than winning the league as it was almost the only live football on TV and was hyped up a lot with a whole day of coverage. I'd love that feeling again and we have been close to it with 2 semi finals and a league cup final appearance in the last 4 years. It is frustrating when as you say lesser teams like Woolwich and Man Utd win but thats the way these things work out sometimes.

What feels different to me from the Redknapp days is that then we were just trying to achieve something with our players before they got bought by a bigger/richer club. It genuinely feels different to me now with the current crop of players and the coaching staff who believe we can win something with coaching, workrate coupled with genuine skill and improvement and an actual desire from up high to keep these players together for as long as the manager wants them.

Back
Top Bottom