Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Okay, here I have to respectfully disagree with you.
As I see it - football match lasts until ref blows the whistle. And this very-very weak crumbling in the end was part of the performance. Just like our inability to finish chances was.

My tounge will never twist to say that such thing could be good performance. Specially if it happens time and time again in important matches.

I just don't care if we play absolutely mindboggling football and score 5 goals within 80 minutes if we fall to pieces with last 10 and concede 6. Just like you need to actually run the whole lenght of the marathon and cannot say you had "spectacular run" when you will get hammer at 30k mark from first place and step aside...
You are describing the result and in that context you are right. Within that context, I don't disagree with the words you use. What you aren't doing is describing or reflecting on the performance.

Our performance against Utd was shockingly poor, we were totally outplayed in the first half, should have been 3-0 down at least. Our performance improved in the 2nd half as we competed better, but we were still not 'better' than Utd, we were on par with them with both teams still giving up chances on their goal. We scored ours, they didn't. Man U's performance over the 90mins was better than ours, not by a small margin but by a big margin they were the better team, they should have won. They should have spanked us. Anyone describing that Utd game as "brilliant" isn't describing the performance, they are describing the result. The result was mind-blowingly brilliant. The performance was poor over the 90mins and in the first half was arguably one of the worst performances we have played in the last 10years and that includes getting spanked at Newcastle 5-0.

We bossed that game last night. It's crystal clear to any layman we did this in the 2nd half, but I'm also saying we did OK in the first half, don't confuse that with superlatives like brilliant, wonderful etc. we weren't that but I thought even in the first half we controlled the game, even with Davies struggling which caused a few knock-on effects in that area of the pitch, we covered that well, we were not troubled by their press. The proof of that is they didn't do a fucking thing in the first half, not even a meaningful shot, we didn't have to go gun-ho, we played within ourselves and let them blow themselves out. In the 2nd half when they were knackered we played football. I thought we were smart and only worked in the areas we want to, the first half wasn't about pressing them high and blitzing their goal, it was almost controlled and professional.

I get irked by the press, you hear them say it all the time that after team 'x' scores a late at the death winner, that they have to now do a "re-write". What!!?! Just because a team scores in the dying seconds of the game doesn't change what happened. IMO you shouldn't have to "re-write" what happened, what happened, happened. But there is a "story to sell" a narrative to spin. This is what needs to be "re-written". The re-writes will reflect the feeling, the emotion and it's these parts that "sell", it's why we follow the game (any sport for that matter). It's why there was jubilation beating Utd 3-0 away from home, it's why I didn't post in the match thread after the Utd game how disappointed I was in Spurs, I was buzzing and using words like brilliant and fantastic. But our performance was a long way from brilliant or fantastic.

The result was a cunt.

The performance was good.

We've had 20 years of projects, building for the future , new dawns but silverware has gone missing.
Nobody expects a trophy every 3/4 years but a minor cup this century .
Personally I detest the way that pochettino treats the not red bull and the fa cup. I believe that it doesn't matter what players have won away from the club, they have to get that first one to understand what it takes to win together, as a team. But who knows....having been patient , instead of the usual premiers league sack em quick pay off big time .

Who says we have a divine right to something? What is actually being said is that when we have this level of talent available- which negates the financial disparity between us and the elite it’s only right that there should be expectations to capitalise on that. Clubs like A. Madrid and Dortmund did just that we haven’t - and not only that some to revel in this supposed glory period. I guess it’s too soon for some to see this but give it a few years and there will be plenty who will acknowledge the opportunity missed.
That Opportunity you talk of ONLY exits because of Poch. How you fail to see this is truly staggering.

Personally I don’t expect anything. I’ve enjoyed the football we’ve played in the last 3 years and that seems to be tailing off. As Airfixx Airfixx said in another thread, it’s a shame that many of our fans haven’t enjoyed the (comparative) good times. No, we’ve won nothing, but it was a joy to watch some of the football we’ve played. I watch now - not because we’re fantastic, but because I have to. You know?
If this talented generation goes away having won nothing would be a travesty, imv

Personally I detest the way that pochettino treats the not red bull and the fa cup. I believe that it doesn't matter what players have won away from the club, they have to get that first one to understand what it takes to win together, as a team. But who knows....having been patient , instead of the usual premiers league sack em quick pay off big time .
I have to take issue with this statement my friend.

I don't think Poch doesn't disrespect the Cups at all. In the four years, he has been here he has taken us to two FA Cup Semi-Finals and a League Cup Final. In all of those games, there wasn't any disapproval of the team selection, bar leaving Walker on the bench for one (it has to be said that Conte left Hazard and Matic on the bench in that game, did he disrespect the cup because of that?).

Anyway, he has shown what he thinks about the Cups by getting us to the semis and a final of another. Does Klopp have a label on his head as a man who disrespects the cups? He's taken Liverpool to semi's and a couple of finals and hasn't won any. Where's the difference?

Poch has been 100% right with how he describes the cups, they are not as prestigious as the League or the CL. Winning the League Championship is the be all and end all of the competitions, win that and you are the best side in the country, this is what every club should strive for, to be the best. Before Poch even turned up I can't recall Spurs ever being Spoken about as being the best club and I've been a supporter for 45yrs! For the first time as a supporter, we are entertaining the thought of being a contender for being the best.

Poch has changed the mindset of the club, the players, the administrators and the supporters. We no longer hope for a "decent cup run" at the beginning of the season. We have our eyes on not just the Championship but all the domestic trophies too. And it's this bit that's important, by being a bonafide best in the country challenger that also by default make us a favourite for one/all of the cups too.

He has prioritised us on focussing on the top step. He hasn't fielded shit teams or thrown the match in the semi's and the finals he's taken us to.

Last edited:
Why don't you actually write something for a change? Express your viewpoint on the game(s). You lurk on here for the sole purpose to denigrate and mock a viewpoint of a poster. You are so entrenched in this mindset, you don't have the bollocks to express your views. You can't deal with the fact that people will disagree with you. So you just hit the disagree buttons, call people maggots and post odd pictures.

You are without doubt utterly pointless in being here as you add nothing. I've had battles with people on here, but they have been for the most part fun. I might not agree with their position (and they with mine) but I can respect someone that has the bollocks to have a viewpoint and even more so when has the balls to post it on here and then go on to defend that view whilst it is being challenged publicly. Sometimes people are cunts and start to attack the poster personally for that view but on the whole, it's the courage of someone that has the balls to communicate that view passionately for others to challenge that what makes this place an engaging place to be. And I respect any person that is prepared to do so.

You on the other hand...............

#wasteOfHumanSkin

I don't think Poch doesn't disrespect the Cups at all. In the four years, he has been here he has taken us to two FA Cup Semi-Finals and a League Cup Final.
He disrespected the FA cup, and the fans, by dropping Hugo for Vorm in this years Semi Final.
Unless the decision was taken out of his hands, which would be even worse.
And please don't try telling me picking Vorm was a tactical selection.
After losing so many semi finals in a row, that decision alone was a betrayal of the supporters.

Why don't you actually write something for a change? Express your viewpoint on the game(s). You lurk on here for the sole purpose to denigrate and mock a viewpoint of a poster. You are so entrenched in this mindset, you don't have the bollocks to express your views. You can't deal with the fact that people will disagree with you. So you just hit the disagree buttons, call people maggots and post odd pictures.

You are without doubt utterly pointless in being here as you add nothing. I've had battles with people on here, but they have been for the most part fun. I might not agree with their position (and they with mine) but I can respect someone that has the bollocks to have a viewpoint and even more so when has the balls to post it on here and then go on to defend that view whilst it is being challenged publicly. Sometimes people are cunts and start to attack the poster personally for that view but on the whole, it's the courage of someone that has the balls to communicate that view passionately for others to challenge that what makes this place an engaging place to be. And I respect any person that is prepared to do so.

You on the other hand...............

#wasteOfHumanSkin
I engage with posters whose opinion I value and consider worthwhile - you on the other hand is a caricature of a paid PR bot. So when I come across something ridiculous in your daily repertoire of drivel - I call it out. Problem is - you're so stuck up your own backside and views that you'll never consider other view points and opinion instead arguing ad naseum why your view is right-er - so debating with you is the equivalent of arguing with the radio. We demolished Utd in that second half - to come out and say they played the better football and deserved to win as as mindless as anything.

He disrespected the FA cup, and the fans, by dropping Hugo for Vorm in this years Semi Final.
Unless the decision was taken out of his hands, which would be even worse.
And please don't try telling me picking Vorm was a tactical selection.
After losing so many semi finals in a row, that decision alone was a betrayal of the supporters.
What?!!?
"Betrayed", "Disrespected" Wow!

Well, I'm a supporter and he didn't disrespect or betray me. So please don't start playing God and think because YOU were disrespected & betrayed that you can lay claim that "we" the supporters were betrayed. What a arsehole thing to say.

So we lost because of Vorm and his selection?

What?!!?
"Betrayed", "Disrespected" Wow!

Well, I'm a supporter and he didn't disrespect or betray me. So please don't start playing God and think because YOU were disrespected & betrayed that you can lay claim that "we" the supporters were betrayed. What a arsehole thing to say.

So we lost because of Vorm and his selection?
So - no explanation why he dropped Lloris then?

I engage with posters whose opinion I value and consider worthwhile - you on the other hand is a caricature of a paid PR bot. So when I come across something ridiculous in your daily repertoire of drivel - I call it out. Problem is - you're so stuck up your own backside and views that you'll never consider other view points and opinion instead arguing ad naseum why your view is right-er - so debating with you is the equivalent of arguing with the radio. We demolished Utd in that second half - to come out and say they played the better football and deserved to win as as mindless as anything.
Now you are lying. You do not post any of your own opinions. You post solely on the back of other peoples and only to demigrate. You will never post to agree with a poster, for example, and no I do not judge this by my interactions and posts with you, (you are obsessed with mine and carry your own private agenda - whatever floats your twisted boat). What you consider "worthwhile" is what I have an issue with, your motivations what makes it "worthwhile" to you is to demigrate, snide and click the disagree button. This is your contribution on here. You do not post an opinion on anything.

"caricature of a paid PR bot" What the fuck are you on about?

You offer no opinion, no reasoning, no rationale. You totally lack the awareness of someone defending their opinion and "being right". I suspect this view just adds to your flaws and why you behave on here the way you do.

Now you are lying. You do not post any of your own opinions. You post solely on the back of other peoples and only to demigrate. You will never post to agree with a poster, for example, and no I do not judge this by my interactions and posts with you, (you are obsessed with mine and carry your own private agenda - whatever floats your twisted boat). What you consider "worthwhile" is what I have an issue with, your motivations what makes it "worthwhile" to you is to demigrate, snide and click the disagree button. This is your contribution on here. You do not post an opinion on anything.

"caricature of a paid PR bot" What the fuck are you on about?

You offer no opinion, no reasoning, no rationale. You totally lack the awareness of someone defending their opinion and "being right". I suspect this view just adds to your flaws and why you behave on here the way you do.
Great - you've just proven my point. Again. You sound semi-deranged - calm down.

True - lesser teams have gone on to win trophies in recent years

I feel like we're cursed - last year's FA cup semi crushed me for weeks after
I know what you mean. The Juve game at home knocked me for six. I felt like shit for ages. I thought I’d gotten over that stuff. It’s madness, but it’s in the blood. I wish it wasn’t, but I’d like to function as a normal human every now and then. I wish I’d never heard of Tottenham fucking Hotspur.

There are three winnable league games until the next international break. Brighton will be tough - especially from set pieces, but have only won two league games in fifteen (both against Man Utd). Then we have in my eyes the two weakest teams in the league - Huddersfield and Cardiff. There is a good opportunity to get to the international break with 18/24 points. Also we have the Watford Cup game and Barcelona at Wembley which hopefully we get the job done.

We need to get our identity back. I don't believe the players have it in them to press like maniacs every game anymore. I think you hit a point where youthful exuberance of two years ago gets countered by the mind. Young players will run through brick walls to make an impression - these guys aren't young anymore and quite a few of them are physically waning. We needed fresh blood just to refresh the squad if anything.

However if the manager can get a plan in place where we don't have to run like dogs but play more smart and zippy passing I think we have the players to do so. Rather than reviving the pressing game I think our best bet is to become a better possession team. And perhaps some youth like KWP, Amos and Skipp could be given a few cameos to begin with. Maybe it will take an untested kid to grab his chance and lift the spirits of everyone else up.

I know what you mean. The Juve game at home knocked me for six. I felt like shit for ages. I thought I’d gotten over that stuff. It’s madness, but it’s in the blood. I wish it wasn’t, but I’d like to function as a normal human every now and then. I wish I’d never heard of Tottenham fucking Hotspur.
If you feel nothing - might as well follow billiards or curling

Back
Top Bottom