Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy operates a wage structure that has more paralels with a mid table club than one that has finished in the top 3 for three seasons running.

We'll see what the wage structure looks like when we kick off next season.

If being willing to cash in on a 29 year old with an imperfect health record is the cost of doing business to alter the wage structure to pay Champions League-level wages for prime-age cornerstones like Kane, Alli and Eriksen, that would still be a very welcome change.

The total level of investment in the squad needs to increase to reflect the rapidly increasing revenue. How to parcel that investment out I would trust Levy and Poch to sort out. They've done brilliantly so far getting the most bang for their buck.

Alderweireld transfer saga reveals Spurs' conflict

Crace really is the worst. Only that tit could turn a 5 year contract for the entire coaching staff into an article about the relationship between Poch and Levy being on the brink of collapse over money. Can we start a gofundme page to buy bitcoin and put a hit on this poison cunt?

There’s no logic. His contract wasn’t about to run down, and the club weren’t weighing options. If he weren’t really happy with the running of the club, why would he make it legally and contractually that much more difficult to extract himself from the situation for another club, by signing the extensions. What a bellend.

:dembelefingers:
If it's John Crace the Guardian journalist and author of the book Vertigo (about Spurs), which it appears to be unless there are two journos with the same name, then I know him and he's a proper yid, long-time season ticket holder and goes to away games too. Like you I disagree with the view that Poch and Levy's relationship is about to collapse, but this isn't just someone trying to stir things or to fill column inches.

That's a brilliant article from a very reliable network tbh.
And sums up perfectly what I and others have been saying ever since the Toby Alderweirald debacle started to rear up. Well done Memphis for with sharing it with us
Levy operates a wage structure that has more paralels with a mid table club than one that has finished in the top 3 for three seasons running.
Hopefully just one of the issues addressed during the Levy / Poch showdown last week.
Exciting times for all
If any of that were true, and Poch was eager to prove a point and put pressure on Levy to change the wage caps, and back him with major spending, then dropping Toby from the first eleven and then signing a new contract is the wrong way to do it.

There's nothing wrong with our wage structure. It's a little tight for just a couple of players on our team, but amusingly for your purposes those that have the most credibility to demand double or even triple their rate are the happiest faces in the squad. After all, it has already been revealed that our performance-related contract bonuses are the most generous in the entire league.

Last edited:
If it's John Crace the Guardian journalist and author of the book Vertigo (about Spurs), which it appears to be unless there are two journos with the same name, then I know him and he's a proper yid, long-time season ticket holder and goes to away games too. Like you I disagree with the view that Poch and Levy's relationship is about to collapse, but this isn't just someone trying to stir things or to fill column inches.
He may be a true yid and go home and away, but (at least his Espn articles I’ve read) are poisonous, melting, exaggeration-for-effect, speculative garbage. And you should tell him I said that.

If Poch was willing to walk out in a year if Levy didn’t stump up big cash, it’s ludicrous to believe he’s have taken the step of having his staff and himself sign new 5 year deals that will be more expensive and difficult to get out of in 12 months - certainly not before the transfer window even gets underway.

The wage structure doesn’t more resemble a mid-table club than the clubs above us. We’re 6th in revenue and 6th in basic wages. On top of that we’ve spent significantly more than our rivals on infrastructure, and have the highest bonus structure in the league.

Revenue drives spending, as we make more we will spend more. The reason there’s a gulf in our wage bill is the massive gilt in sponsorship revenue that exists. Cut United revenue in half next year and see how many of those Sanchez salaries they start shifting. Christ, even Chelsea have reeled spending in within their turnover. City cooks their books with faux-sponsorships, they’re literally the only top club that isn’t operating within their revenue budget. They spend more than us because they make more than us.

That article is a shit attempt at plagiarizing John Thomas John Thomas , honestly. Croce can fuck off, he’s a cunt getting paid to rip off forum nutters.

I've heard that, but would you mind sharing what the source is for that?
Widely reported a few months ago:

'But talking during a meeting with the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust last week, Levy insisted that the club are generous with their wage structure and that the club should be cut some slack in the reporting of the wages.

The subject was bought up in the meeting by The Supporters' Trust secretary Peter Haine.

"Peter Haine mentioned the bonus payments, also. It was felt the bonus structure and incentives should also be considered when discussing players wages as they comprised a significant part of the monies and are the most generous of any club in the Premier League," the minutes of the meeting read.'

Daniel Levy Reveals Spurs Players' Bonuses Are 'the Most Generous of Any Club in the Premier League'
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy reveals bonus structure
Daniel Levy reveals Spurs wage bonuses which help keep Harry Kane & co
Tottenham pay biggest bonuses in Premier League to keep Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Co happy

Play well, get paid. But we're not going to pay fat contracts for players to loaf about and sit on the bench. Down the road, imagine what Ozil might do if his 350k per week was performance based and not salary. Fucker barely breaks a sweat for them.

'But talking during a meeting with the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust last week, Levy insisted that the club are generous with their wage structure and that the club should be cut some slack in the reporting of the wages.

The subject was bought up in the meeting by The Supporters' Trust secretary Peter Haine.

"Peter Haine mentioned the bonus payments, also. It was felt the bonus structure and incentives should also be considered when discussing players wages as they comprised a significant part of the monies and are the most generous of any club in the Premier League," the minutes of the meeting read.'

Daniel Levy Reveals Spurs Players' Bonuses Are 'the Most Generous of Any Club in the Premier League'
Tottenham pay biggest bonuses in Premier League to keep Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Co happy

Play well, get paid. But we're not going to pay fat contracts for players to loaf about and sit on the bench.

Thanks!

You wonder what the terms are to hit those bonuses.

The risk would be that if there is some massive CL qualification bonus that as soon as you finish 5th everyone wants to leave.

But it's definitely a creative solution.

Thanks!

You wonder what the terms are to hit those bonuses.

The risk would be that if there is some massive CL qualification bonus that as soon as you finish 5th everyone wants to leave.

But it's definitely a creative solution.
But in a meritocracy there should be a massive bonus for the CL. It means significant revenue to the club. It’s the players’ job to secure that revenue by qualifying for the tournament. If they fail in that responsibility, why should they get paid as though they succeeded?

A lot has been talked about Spurs playing over their heads. Perhaps it’s just that our model actually motivates our players to strive for success and not sit on their lazy arses. Perform well and get rewarded, such an outlandishly revolutionary idea that basically every private company in the world operates on the same basic principle.

But in a meritocracy there should be a massive bonus for the CL. It means significant revenue to the club. It’s the players’ job to secure that revenue by qualifying for the tournament. If they fail in that responsibility, why should they get paid as though they succeeded?

A lot has been talked about Spurs playing over their heads. Perhaps it’s just that our model actually motivates our players to strive for success and not sit on their lazy arses. Perform well and get rewarded, such an outlandishly revolutionary idea that basically every private company in the world operates on the same basic principle.

Oh I agree with the fairness and incentives arguments completely. But there can be a sting in the tail there.

There's no perfect way to structure things.

(And by that same logic one wonders whether Poch's total focus on the league and the CL at the expense of the cups has something to do with the way his squad's compensation is structured)

We'll see what the wage structure looks like when we kick off next season.

If being willing to cash in on a 29 year old with an imperfect health record is the cost of doing business to alter the wage structure to pay Champions League-level wages for prime-age cornerstones like Kane, Alli and Eriksen, that would still be a very welcome change.

The total level of investment in the squad needs to increase to reflect the rapidly increasing revenue. How to parcel that investment out I would trust Levy and Poch to sort out. They've done brilliantly so far getting the most bang for their buck.
Bingo. I would take a Toby sale if it meant we get 5 more years of Eriksen, Dele, Son and Kane.

Play well, get paid. But we're not going to pay fat contracts for players to loaf about and sit on the bench. Down the road, imagine what Ozil might do if his 350k per week was performance based and not salary. Fucker barely breaks a sweat for them.
Which is why it makes sense that the only two players to have major contract issues (Rose and Toby) are those who have spent a significant amount of time injured.

Yeah he's a Spurs fan...just one of the moany contingent...no surprise that John Thomas agreed with everything...

If any of that were true, and Poch was eager to prove a point and put pressure on Levy to change the wage caps, and back him with major spending, then dropping Toby from the first eleven and then signing a new contract is the wrong way to do it.

There's nothing wrong with our wage structure. It's a little tight for just a couple of players on our team, but amusingly for your purposes those that have the most credibility to demand double or even triple their rate are the happiest faces in the squad. After all, it has already been revealed that our performance-related contract bonuses are the most generous in the entire league.

The only issue with our bonus related pay structure is players wages drop significantly when they are injured for a long period - but if you ask me, that's not really an issue with our pay structure.....but with other clubs who are too unsophisticated to work out a way reward players who are actually contributing.

Yeah he's a Spurs fan...just one of the moany contingent...no surprise that John Thomas agreed with everything...
But it's childish and ignorant when people just rubbish the article because they disagree with the narrative. Yes, I happen to agree with it. Of course I do. It mirrors exactly what I, (and others) have been saying for months or years.. I wouldn't call us the moany contingent. We just see things for what they are and want to see our manager given a fighting chance to continue his good work.

Regards that article:
If it was only levy that made that call then that doesn't explain pochs attitude to Toby

For that article to ring true then Poch would have to have been backing Toby (and the call to pay higher wages) ... he wasn't ... in fact the opposite

Poch most definitely does not look like he is begrudgingly losing one of his best performers due to the actions of his niggardly chairman

The article falls down therefore

Btw ... I'm not saying Poch hasn't had words behind closed doors about the need to loosen the purse strings .... reading between the lines it appears he has

But to identify it with what has gone on with Toby doesn't correlate

Back
Top Bottom