Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One thing I've learned from living in Spain: The media is even worse than England.

The piece does indeed claim that apparently Poch wants to go to Madrid eventually, and likewise Madrid want him too, and it'll only be a matter of time before it happens.

Marca are so far up Madrid's arse that they probably think every player and manager in the world wants to represent them, so I would take this with a humongous dollop of salt. Nothing to see here.
Its their perceived sense of sick entitlement that they believe they are the center of the universe and all roads apparently lead to Madrid. This will change as it always does.

Bill Madrid Bill Madrid do your thing.

Surely this is just Marca BS
It's a hack filling space, like Hytner and Ashton and the rest.

The first 4 paras say nothing at all.

Without citing any evidence it then claims that there is an agreement between Levy and Pochettino that if Madrid or PSG come calling, he'll go straight away with the club's blessing.

The idiotic last paragraph claims that both Madrid and Pochettino are sort of just marking time until the situation evolves to the point where Zidane leaves and Pochettino replaces him.

Marca isn't anything like as bad as people in the UK think, it has some fine writers and can be a pretty reliable source. Safe to say that José Félix Díaz is neither.

Last edited:
Really strange piece on Marca's (Spanish) website today about Pochettino signing a new contract that I can't find on the English language version. All's going well until the end (Spanish and mangled Google translation provided), where it is suggested the new deal contains an 'understanding' that, in the event Real Madrid or PSG make enquiries, Pochettino can leave.

El gesto de Pochettino de renunciar a la propuesta llegada desde el otro lado de Londres, pese a la importante cuantía económica de la misma, debía tener su justa correspondencia en el presidente del Tottenham, que accedió a que si en un futuro próximo aparecen en el horizonte bien Real Madrid, bien PSG, el máximo mandatario del Tottenham abriría la puerta de salida para el argentino. 'Yo continúo, pero tú me dejas si me llaman estos dos equipos'. Acuerdo cerrado.

Pochettino quiere entrenar al Real Madrid y el Real Madrid espera al argentino. Es cuestión de tiempo mientras uno y otro queman etapas y siguen adelante con su evolución natural. El técnico tiene claro que su destino, lejos del Tottenham, solo admite dos posibles destinos: Real Madrid y PSG. En un equipo jugó y al otro le admira.

The gesture of Pochettino to renounce the proposed arrival from [Chelsea], in spite of the important economic amount of the same, had to have his just correspondence in the president of Tottenham , who agreed that if in the near future they appear in the horizon well Real Madrid, well PSG, the highest leader of Tottenham would open the exit door for the Argentine. 'I continue, but you leave me if these two teams call me.' Agreement closed.

Pochettino wants to train Real Madrid and Real Madrid expects the Argentine. It is a matter of time while one and another burn stages and move forward with their natural evolution. The coach is clear that his destination, far from Tottenham, only admits two possible destinations: Real Madrid and PSG . In one team he played and the other admires him.
A clause has been especially inserted so that the media can continue to rumour his move away despite his new long term contract. We wouldn’t want to spoil their fun now would we? I expect if Kane signs a new contract it will also include an “unless Man U or Real Madrid want me” clause.

:pocheyes:

Alderweireld transfer saga reveals Spurs' conflict

Crace really is the worst. Only that tit could turn a 5 year contract for the entire coaching staff into an article about the relationship between Poch and Levy being on the brink of collapse over money. Can we start a gofundme page to buy bitcoin and put a hit on this poison cunt?

There’s no logic. His contract wasn’t about to run down, and the club weren’t weighing options. If he weren’t really happy with the running of the club, why would he make it legally and contractually that much more difficult to extract himself from the situation for another club, by signing the extensions. What a bellend.

:dembelefingers:

Whilst pleased Poch staying I cannot help wondering why he came out with those comments at the end of the season. Was it to secure the pay rise? Or was it as quoted earlier that he wants to buy experienced players with limited sell on profit. Just seems out of character compared to his usual non committal, following the company line comments

He said it then because it's literally the one chance you get, do it during the season and you potentially wreck the season.....do it in a newspaper interview and you look like a dick like Danny Rose. Added to this I imagine that unless you play hardball a bit with Levy then he won't listen, just asking him at the actual meetings probably doesn't hit home.

"mainly it is about the club working in a more efficient way to secure realistic targets quickly and get them in for the manager's crucial six weeks of pre-season training."

"The profile of the club's targets will not change. On the whole Spurs will continue to target young stars who can perform now and improve exponentially in the future."

"Pochettino wanted to head into Tottenham's next chapter in their new stadium feeling he was trusted and his ambitions matched and once he was sure of that his pen hit the paper."

Dunno how cred the writer is, but verbatum, pretty much how the calm amongst us interpreted things.

"mainly it is about the club working in a more efficient way to secure realistic targets quickly and get them in for the manager's crucial six weeks of pre-season training."

"The profile of the club's targets will not change. On the whole Spurs will continue to target young stars who can perform now and improve exponentially in the future."

Of course, doing business quickly without relying on the Levy high-wire brinksmanship will cost more money for the same players. So there is a financial backing aspect to that.

But we also forget the outgoing players aspect of this. The moment you knew things had changed at the club under Poch, IMO, was nothing to do with buying players or even the play on the field, it was when we sold Paulinho, Soldado, Stambouli, Chiriches and Capoue all at a loss after his first season. The Spurs first team was not going to be Daniel Levy's Asset Holding Company anymore. That seemed like an impossibility a year prior.

Alderweireld transfer saga reveals Spurs' conflict

Crace really is the worst. Only that tit could turn a 5 year contract for the entire coaching staff into an article about the relationship between Poch and Levy being on the brink of collapse over money. Can we start a gofundme page to buy bitcoin and put a hit on this poison cunt?

There’s no logic. His contract wasn’t about to run down, and the club weren’t weighing options. If he weren’t really happy with the running of the club, why would he make it legally and contractually that much more difficult to extract himself from the situation for another club, by signing the extensions. What a bellend.

:dembelefingers:
That's a brilliant article from a very reliable network tbh.
And sums up perfectly what I and others have been saying ever since the Toby Alderweirald debacle started to rear up. Well done Memphis for with sharing it with us
Levy operates a wage structure that has more paralels with a mid table club than one that has finished in the top 3 for three seasons running.
Hopefully just one of the issues addressed during the Levy / Poch showdown last week.

His message to Levy now is clear. If you're serious about wanting Spurs to progress to the next level in the new stadium then back me and back the players with more cash.
I like this bit. It gives us all hope that we can look forward to not only keeping our best players but also bringing in some serious talent to complement and challenge them.

This is a time when a manager felt strong enough to go toe to toe with Levy (the showdown) Much will depend on who blinks first. Fans and everyone associated with the club will be keeping their fingers crossed and praying its Levy
Written by a proper Yid . Season ticket holder. Home and away supporter. No anti Spurs agenda just one of our own telling it as it is.
Exciting times for all. guys

Last edited:
That's a brilliant article from a very reliable network tbh.
And sums up perfectly what I and others have been saying ever since the Toby Alderweirald debacle started to rear up. Well done Memphis for with sharing it with us
ESPN is not a credible network. It's sporting tabloid, like Sky Sports.

I understand you're fishing for affirmation, but you won't find it in those waters.

Levy operates a wage structure that has more paralels with a mid table club than one that has finished in the top 3 for three seasons running.
Hopefully just one of the issues addressed during the Levy / Poch showdown last week.
Exciting times for all
False. Our bonus structure, which is part of contracts, ensures our players are paid in the top 6 of club's in the Prem.

And quit the showdown crap. It was simply a meeting to discuss and agree the terms of a new contract.

Was Davinson Sanchez's meeting also a showdown? What about Harry Winks?

Back
Top Bottom