Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our manager is quality but......

I agree with his treatment of Alderweireld but cannot see why he seems to have a different approach to the one with Rose, who for me is a traitor. I cannot see past that even if part of what he states is correct.

My other slight concern is the full back rotation. Not sure we need it at this stage of the season with one game per week and especially based on how well Davies and Trippier played last week.
Alderweireld is playing shit. Been almost a calamity for us when played and was totally garbage for Belgium the other week. Put simply he doesn't deserve his place, Sanchez playing better than him. Poch has also said this multiple times now.

The CB's are rarely rotated, even when there is a game every 3 days or so, if Poch rotates in this position it tends to be only one but rarely both at the same time. Not an exact science here as Alderweireld has been injured most of the last two years too and Vertonghen also missed a chunk of games (last year) due to his knee injury but it seems to me that without injuries and suspension Poch doesn't rotate his CB's heavily.

Seeing as Tripps wasn't in the squad at the weekend due to muscle fatigue it's clear he still feels the need to rotate. Granted this was probably due to his England participation rather than Spurs, we'll just have to see what he does. Bur does it really matter? Rose has slowly picked up his performances, so is closer to Davies, but still behind him IMO. Tripps vs Aurier is an interesting battle and hard to pick an out and out better "fit" for the team. I choose the word "fit" as I think Aurier is the better footballer of the two, but in some games Tripps knits the team better. So would hope in the cases of our FB's there is genuine competition which should push on the performances of each player. Nothing wrong in that.

Last edited:
He shouldn’t be tweeting about the team - he should be trying to get back in it. His tweets are an annoying attempt at self-publicity.
You’ve no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. Nobody on here does, even though many talk with great authority. All we do is assume, guess and believe whichever newspaper story or rumour backs up our own opinion.

Maybe Toby is working hard as hell to get back in and Poch just feels he can’t justify dropping Jan or Sanchez.

Maybe Toby has asked for contract discussions to be put on hold until after he is clear of the season and World Cup. Just like Dembele apparently has. No sign of “fuck Dembele” on here though.

On the other hand, maybe you and others are correct and he’s an injury prone, elderly, greedy bastard who isn’t doing a stroke of work.

Lots of maybes there.

You’ve no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. Nobody on here does, even though many talk with great authority. All we do is assume, guess and believe whichever newspaper story or rumour backs up our own opinion.

Maybe Toby is working hard as hell to get back in and Poch just feels he can’t justify dropping Jan or Sanchez.

Maybe Toby has asked for contract discussions to be put on hold until after he is clear of the season and World Cup. Just like Dembele apparently has. No sign of “fuck Dembele” on here though.

On the other hand, maybe you and others are correct and he’s an injury prone, elderly, greedy bastard who isn’t doing a stroke of work.

Lots of maybes there.

Indeed, but I was objecting to his tweets, not speculating about behind the scenes issues.

He shouldn’t be tweeting about the team - he should be trying to get back in it. His tweets are an annoying attempt at self-publicity.
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t Joe. At the end of the day he has no obligation to sign a new contract. What he does have is an obligation to stay professional, train properly and be fit and available should we want him to play, which he has done as far as I can see and that includes being positive on social media.

Poch is dealing with it the way he sees fit. Toby is dealing with it professionally.

if he was bitching and moaning about his chance of World Cup football being ruined, that’d be different.

Indeed, but I was objecting to his tweets, not speculating about behind the scenes issues.
If he is trying his very best to regain fitness and is working really hard in training, are his tweets as objectionable?
What you think of the behind the scenes is bound to colour what you feel about his social media output. I personally believe he’s acting professionally and due to this have no problem at all with his tweets.
On the other hand, if I believed he was being a lazy good for nothing, I’d be up in arms about it.

Lots of maybes there.
There is nothing maybe about his injuries.

Impressive.

Considering the team in 1st place has won the league once and Chelsea in 3rd have won the league twice, whilst we haven't even come within 5 points of winning the league within that time.

But again, you don't win anything with these stats. Which is why we need to start doing so. Having the best defensive record over the last 3 years and being the 2nd best team in the country the last 4 years means absolutely nothing to anyone, least of all the players.

FA Cup win can't come soon enough!

Impressive.

Considering the team in 1st place has won the league once and Chelsea in 3rd have won the league twice, whilst we haven't even come within 5 points of winning the league within that time.

But again, you don't win anything with these stats. Which is why we need to start doing so. Having the best defensive record over the last 3 years and being the 2nd best team in the country the last 4 years means absolutely nothing to anyone, least of all the players.

FA Cup win can't come soon enough!
Means an awful lot to me to be honest. This is the best Spurs team I have watched in my lifetime and I've been watching them for 45yrs!

Means an awful lot to me to be honest. This is the best Spurs team I have watched in my lifetime and I've been watching them for 45yrs!

Agreed.

Shame if all we're remembered for though is that we were the 2nd best team in the country for a few years.

Agreed.

Shame if all we're remembered for though is that we were the 2nd best team in the country for a few years.
Not for me, my memories are formed far and wide only three or four moments are Cup finals, our Semi-Fnal win over Woolwich was better than winning the final for example.

People are beginning to say this, they then point towards Newcastle under Keegan, followed by saying that no-one remembers Newcastle for not winning, apart from remembering it of course because EVERYONE alive then remembers it because it was er memorable, it's why they are still talking about it over twenty years ago!

I'm not dismissing it, I just don't expect it and certainly don't think we are entitled to it.

Everyone remembers Newcastle due to them bottling a 12 point lead and due to Ferguson’s mind game on Keegan. You would be hard pressed to find any reference of that season without any of that mentioned. When people are referencing Newcastle with respect to us it isnt used as a complement and is hardly a basis that we would wish to be remembered by.

Everyone remembers Newcastle due to them bottling a 12 point lead and due to Ferguson’s mind game on Keegan. You would be hard pressed to find any reference of that season without any of that mentioned. When people are referencing Newcastle with respect to us it isnt used as a complement and is hardly a basis that we would wish to be remembered by.
LOL you actually think they lost the lead because of what Fergie said, oh dear.

Back
Top Bottom