Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me his is just a repeat of the Redknapp era, it was obvious nearly 2 years ago with the Palace cup defeat. If the club adopts the same strategy then why would the outcome be any different? The arrogance of a club ( and a large number of its supporters) to think it is above certain trophies when it has gone a decade without silverware and 25 years for a none league cup win is quite something.

For me his is just a repeat of the Redknapp era, it was obvious nearly 2 years ago with the Palace cup defeat. If the club adopts the same strategy then why would the outcome be any different? The arrogance of a club ( and a large number of its supporters) to think it is above certain trophies when it has gone a decade without silverware and 25 years for a none league cup win is quite something.
Name ONE club that has taken it seriously, do not pick a team that has won, pick a team that played in a full stadium and their first team selected.

Name ONE club that has taken it seriously, do not pick a team that has won, pick a team that played in a full stadium and their first team selected.

Pretty sure he's probably referring to the manner of our performance as opposed to losing to West Ham. Losses happen. Lazy performances shouldn't.

to think it is above certain trophies when it has gone a decade without silverware and 25 years for a none league cup win is quite something.

Ha ha. The fact that you have to say “non league cup win” says everything about your opinion of it. Yet here you are moaning about people saying it’s unimportant. Very funny.

The chances of winning a "non league cup trophy" increase by being out of the league cup as well....
Everything improves by being out of that cup.

Can't wait for the mangers of the teams that have progressed to the next round start to complain about fixture congestion time. Wonder what Pep Guano is going to say as he prepares to play us with the next round of the Kangaroo cup 4 days after, followed by Bournemouth 3 days after that?

BTW -

Anyone seen that Citeh and Woolwich might have to replay their games. Both Woolwich and Citeh made two subs in extra-time, rules state that they are only aloud to make one!
:harrysmile:

Small margins. If Vorm hadn't parried that shot straight at the feet of the West Ham attacker, their comeback wouldn't have been ignited (and I'm not saying we scapegoat Vorm, by the way).

Nobody was feeling like complaining about Poch's team selection when we were cruising 2-0 up at half time.

My gut feeling is that we can't compete with the depth of teams like Man City when it comes to this cup. They'll probably go on and win it because they can rotate their squad more than ours last night and still have a great team. If you play a tough semis and final then the team will be exhausted with fixture congestion.

Mourinho won it last season, sure, along with the Europa League - but I think it's pretty obvious that they couldn't do that and finish as highly in the league as possible.

I'm sure Mourinho and United couldn't finish top four because of their lengthy and exhausting run in the League fucking Cup instead of actually being shit enough and not being able to beat sides like Swansea or Burnley.

Just like when we were 2-0 up we should have kept the tempo and tried to score more, instead the players went to bed early and completely fucked it up. Doesn't matter if this happened in fucking League Cup or in Champions League, it's a poor performance and we have to be disappointed with it.

I couldn’t care less which clubs take it seriously and which do not. I care about what we do, the likes of Woolwich, City, United and Chelsea do not have to concern themselves with ending a decade of no silverware. They have all won multiple titles in that period.

I'm sure Mourinho and United couldn't finish top four because of their lengthy and exhausting run in the League fucking Cup instead of actually being shit enough and not being able to beat sides like Swansea or Burnley.

Just like when we were 2-0 up we should have kept the tempo and tried to score more, instead the players went to bed early and completely fucked it up. Doesn't matter if this happened in fucking League Cup or in Champions League, it's a poor performance and we have to be disappointed with it.

I actually felt one of the main issues yesterday was that we were too desperate to put on a show and score again and because of that we became sloppy in possession. At half time I really wanted to destroy them too, however in hindsight we should of protected the ball better even if it meant a boring second half and a 2-0 win.

If you look back you see that a lot of West Ham's corners and attacks were coming from us trying little flicks and first time touches. It was same issue when we dropped points against Burnley.

Ha ha. The fact that you have to say “non league cup win” says everything about your opinion of it. Yet here you are moaning about people saying it’s unimportant. Very funny.

It’s says nothing about that tournament and everything about how our success has been limited to one competition. I’m intrigued to know how many more years or decades have to pass without silverware before it becomes acceptable to question the strategy the club has employed?

We have not got to the quarter final of this cup for 3 years now. You cannot win this cup if in Europa league as a match is scheduled on the thursday before the final. However after our CL performances we should not be in the Europa this season. Our team selection and squad depth was not strong enough in last 2 years but looks stronger this year. I was happy with team selected and first half performance although it was pretty much a non event apart from the goals. This defeat should not have happened and Poch and the players know it.
There were supporters that said the Newcastle defeat at the end of the season before last did not matter. It did just read Poch's book. We have to lose some time and thankfully defeats are less frequent than a few years ago. However had the Spammers scored first and shut up shop, it would have been easier to take.
Saying they are not a rival is ridiculous. Not a rival for league position but Geographically they are close to us and thus a rival as Orient would be if they ever rise again. Using one of Poch's words, it was the 'Mentality' that was not right and they crumbled.

It’s says nothing about that tournament and everything about how our success has been limited to one competition. I’m intrigued to know how many more years or decades have to pass without silverware before it becomes acceptable to question the strategy the club has employed?

The strategy of the club is clearly to raise the profile of the club with high league finishes and regular CL football. It’s what gets you noticed, it helps player recruitment, it brings in money to help compete with richer clubs, sponsors want to be associated with you, it’s fun winning games every week, it’s great to be playing Real Madrid in front of 85,000 fans - I could go on, but none of that would happen if the club prioritised the cups.

Football has moved on. Remember playing in front of 20,000 people at the Lane? I do, and this is better.

I couldn’t care less which clubs take it seriously and which do not. I care about what we do, the likes of Woolwich, City, United and Chelsea do not have to concern themselves with ending a decade of no silverware. They have all won multiple titles in that period.
And that is EXACTLY THE POINT, they are focusing on Titles (well not Woolwich, who haven't be contenders for 15yrs).

The League Cup "in that period"
Woolwich - ZERO
City 2 times (But 2 league titles)
Utd - 3 times One of those against us (during that period they won 4 League Titles clearly showing where their priority lies)
Chelsea - 1 win against us (but 3 League Titles)
Liverpool - 1 win. (ZERO League Titles)

WOW! Look at all those multiple Kangaroo cups they have won in the last decade. FFS.

Talented team, great football, one concentrating on the tournaments that we unlikely to win over the ones we can and of course no silverware to show for it. Yeah crazy analogy no comparison at all is there.
No there isn't. The club, the team, everything about our identity and ethos is levels above that. Thanks to Mauricio Pochettino.

You really don't think that going all the way to the Europa League final (and therefore playing nine additional games in the spring) would have contributed (at least in a small part) to Man United finishing outside the top 4?

Though that's a separate issue to how we shit the bed last night.

Back
Top Bottom